Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

In favor of separate services

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post In favor of separate services Nature Boy Florida
I have been to several fundraisers recently (secular).

All of them cater to the over 50 crowd - so they will attract the demographic with the most money. Guess what - It works.
No Katy Perry music playing - more like Lionel Richie/Alabama.
And then the money is spent on other folks - usually younger - with differing needs. Everyone is satisfied with the results.

Why don't churches do the same?
Have one main service a week that caters to over 50s.
Take up some big offerings.
Use that money on other groups with different needs...that don't have the same income the older guys do.

Sure some youngsters would go to the old service - and some oldsters would go to the young service.
And you could have youngsters do lots of the music/drama etc...as long as it caters to the oldsters - keep them coming back for more - just like the secular fundraisers do.

It seems so simple.

But as a rule - your fundraising service would pay for the church - and all the other groups would be funded by their offerings.

You could still have an all in one service - that some folks would come to be with their family/church ---- but have the one big "keep the old folks with money happy" service - and take up several offerings while you are at it.

Why not?
3/28/17 3:15 pm

Post georgiapath
Some pastors are not that smart or are too contrary. They think they will make the older folk like it their way. Guess what, it doesn't work.

THe older people have the disposable income and they will give. The younger don't have it and if they do, they will buy another car or a bigger house. It's their mindset.
Acts-dicted
3/28/17 6:09 pm

Post Link
It only makes sense if you think in terms of church as being about one pastor ministering to a group of people. If you think in terms of different members of the body of Christ using their gifts to edify one another, then the young have a lot to benefit from by the ministry of the old, and we all need one another.
3/28/17 7:56 pm

Post There are other ways of doing it... Clint Wills
I recently listened to a podcast from Stevens Creek where Kevin Lloyd laid out their stewardship calendar. In June of every year Pastor Marty has meals with the top 150 givers at Stevens Creek. I believe he said they divide them into smaller groups, and he has 4 or 5 of those meals that month.
Marty spends that time reviewing all that God has done in the previous year, and casting vision for the coming year.
In a church their size there is no way everyone gets to have dinner with Pastor Marty each year...or likely ever. However, they value their top givers as people who are bought into Stevens Creek and fund the work of the ministry at that church.
I think this is a genius idea!! We often celebrate our top volunteers, but really shy away from celebrating top givers - probably because top givers aren't comfortable being celebrated publicly. But a semi-private setting where you show them value, listen to their hearts, and cast vision for them is an awesome way to celebrate and thank them for their generosity.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/29/17 8:08 am

Post Re: There are other ways of doing it... Nature Boy Florida
Clint Wills wrote:
I recently listened to a podcast from Stevens Creek where Kevin Lloyd laid out their stewardship calendar. In June of every year Pastor Marty has meals with the top 150 givers at Stevens Creek. I believe he said they divide them into smaller groups, and he has 4 or 5 of those meals that month.
Marty spends that time reviewing all that God has done in the previous year, and casting vision for the coming year.
In a church their size there is no way everyone gets to have dinner with Pastor Marty each year...or likely ever. However, they value their top givers as people who are bought into Stevens Creek and fund the work of the ministry at that church.
I think this is a genius idea!! We often celebrate our top volunteers, but really shy away from celebrating top givers - probably because top givers aren't comfortable being celebrated publicly. But a semi-private setting where you show them value, listen to their hearts, and cast vision for them is an awesome way to celebrate and thank them for their generosity.

...and ask for increased giving.

I think the reason most don't do this - is they don't want to give the impression that the biggest givers are worth more - and get more face time with the pastor.

I am pretty sure Marty doesn't remotely feel that way - but at the same time - this is a good idea - for the very reason I stated in the first post: People want to give for a good cause - often they just need to be asked. Cater to them first, give them a wine(non-alcoholic) and cheese party if necessary - then get some hefty donations for missions, teens, widows, inner city, etc... over and above any tithes they are giving - or to let them know that their tithes are not being squandered on Creflo dollar salaries.
3/29/17 8:42 am

Post Pastor Wright
It makes sense, not just financially, but also in how you minister to people. I thought, for a long time, that you switch up the music, decor, how you preach, etc. and the younger families would be drawn in and the older ones would come around to the new style. Sometimes it just doesn't work like that. Having two services, or even two places to worship, seems to work much better in that regard.
3/29/17 8:57 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic