Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

deleted

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post deleted aprilmay2.0
deleted

Last edited by aprilmay2.0 on 3/29/17 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Friendly Face
3/19/17 7:19 am

Post diakoneo
I am sure this did not help him to decide to stay. But I doubt it was THE main reason.

I think as some have suggested that the overriding reason was church politics.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
3/19/17 8:52 am

Post Cojak
I will say at this point it seems that most 'Christians' are 'playing nice'. As a general rule at least half our good folk 'sorta' declare the 'Leave-r' as hell-bent!

TL was brought up as an example of 'falling-in-line' when he was becoming a BIG name. In my mind,I ask: What if his situation were today? Embarassed

I can see a small-minded person (like myself) who doesn't know the reality of 'What It Takes' to operate a LARGE organization. Upon visiting COG HQ would question, part of my tithe built this 'opulence'?

Have you seen the state of the art meeting room of the council? WOW.
It is possible that one would say, isn't that a waste of God's money? They could meet in a much less expensive place.

I said that, not as a negative, but just what a person who is living hand to mouth on a weekly salary and paying 10% + of their meager income, could not in their wildest dreams buy one of those chairs and the electronics around it, in the council room.

I stated as a disclaimer, I have no idea if this is something 'required' to operate this large organization. I know it is not General Motors, but to me the COG is a large organization.

Let me clarify my statements: in reality my income tax, that helps keep up our government, is spent in the first few minutes Air Force One is cranked up. I do not envy a president having use of that plane.
So in comparison I know that 10% of my yearly tithe probably would not buy the staff at HQ a Pepsi and a Big Mac. But it is still needed like that plane.
Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/19/17 12:53 pm

Post Re: List of Good Men who Kevin Wallace lost while he was COG SouthGeorgiaBoy
aprilmay2.0 wrote:
I think part of the departure from the denomination was due to the fact that GOOD men were walking out the door. Here is a list of some of the good men Kevin lost while he was in the COG:

George Washington
Abe Lincoln
Alexander Hamilton
Andrew Jackson
Ulysses Grant
Benjamin Franklin

I believe a church the size of Redemption Pointe To and From the Nations Around The World (or whatever that thing is named) has to pay somewhere near $100,000 per year to the denomination.

I don't know their budget, but if its anywhere near the 1900 attendance Kevin says, its got to be a LOT of church tax.

So what did the church gain by paying the tax? Very little is my answer. And if you say "well what about accountability and fellowship?" then I would respond
"Kevin pulled out and everyone says they will still love him and appreciate him and be his friend and now he gets to pick his own accountability for a lot less money."

Think about what you could do with an extra $100,000

Yes and just think about the person in your local church who pays a large sum of tithe to the church he is a member of. Just think of the savings and what he could do with it if he wasn't a member of your church. Very Happy
Acts Enthusiast
3/21/17 2:23 pm

Post Methocostal
To be sure, I am sure there are expenditures that are likely "opulent", but at the same time, if one has the technology to conduct world wide media rooms with "state of the art" ability to carry both audio and video data, there is a certain dollar level at which is required to do that -- period. That dollar amount may seem excessive to the small local church, but may be the minimum amount needed to use that media device. If indeed, they are using that technology to conduct meetings to save air travel, hotel, etc of many people, it may be economically wise to acquire such state of the art equipment. On the other hand, if it just sits and isn't being used, that is a whole different story.

I have worked with companies with multibillion revenues and 50 thousand employees. My current employer has over 5,000 employees and almost 1 billion in revenue. I report directly to the President and Board of this organization. However, I don't consider it to be extraordinarily large compared to multi national corps such as Apple, General Motors, etc. So "large" is one of perspective. Compared to a small congregation of 200 members, COG HQ is large, but taken in perspective of truly large organizations, it isn't. Unfortunately, for HQ, the perception of the members and ministry is that it is large, since perception is reality, it is indeed "large" Smile

From conversations I remember from years ago about COG finances and that their audits are not publically available to the membership, I think that is a SERIOUS issue. The COG is not a corporation which derives it revenue from sale of goods and services and intimate details of salaries, etc is not available to people that are not investors. The COG has common charteristics of a government entity where data is generally available, including personal salaries, to anyone under Sunshine, "open government" laws that are common. While it isn't a "government" per se, I do not believe that even according to the Bible can they conduct their affairs in secret. The Church derives its revenues from "donors", either directly or indirectly via the Tithe of Tithe. Therefore, its finances should be publically available to its donors. At the minimum, information should be available in some form and perhaps the salaries of senior officials should be available.

Then, the Church membership can determine if the organization is "wasting" its resources. Without information, those opinions are based on rumour and speculation. To their defense, unfortunately, if they did release more details, members would question why one bought a $1,500 desk versus the $200 el cheapo from Wally world. There is a balance between being cheap versus extravagant and those judgements are difficult to address.

Truly, the HQ is between a rock and a hard place, but I think at least general information should be made available to the membership. Perhaps, "policies" that indicate the price ranges available for equipment, technology etc. Travel policies could indicate whether officials can travel first class or coach. Even the travel policies can be difficult to truly judge. For a person that travels virtually full time, first class is not a luxury as airline travel is a chore, tiresome, and stressful. Unfortunately, for individuals who rarely travel, the thought of travel can be exciting and one may wish they could travel, even if via Coach. To this day, some 30 years later, I STILL automatically get tired the minute I step onto an airport! And, we were allowed to travel first class, stay in first class hotels, our laundry was paid for, and we were members of airport executive travel clubs that offered "real" recliners, individual servers in the restraunts, etc. By normal standards, we traveled in style. But, if you had to do that travel on a routine basis, it was NOT considered a perk, but as a way to try to relax between flights. I understand both sides of those issues and they are far more complex than first blush.

This was more than you asked, but I thought I'd offer my view.

Cojak wrote:
I will say at this point it seems that most 'Christians' are 'playing nice'. As a general rule at least half our good folk 'sorta' declare the 'Leave-r' as hell-bent!

TL was brought up as an example of 'falling-in-line' when he was becoming a BIG name. In my mind,I ask: What if his situation were today? Embarassed

I can see a small-minded person (like myself) who doesn't know the reality of 'What It Takes' to operate a LARGE organization. Upon visiting COG HQ would question, part of my tithe built this 'opulence'?

Have you seen the state of the art meeting room of the council? WOW.
It is possible that one would say, isn't that a waste of God's money? They could meet in a much less expensive place.

I said that, not as a negative, but just what a person who is living hand to mouth on a weekly salary and paying 10% + of their meager income, could not in their wildest dreams buy one of those chairs and the electronics around it, in the council room.

I stated as a disclaimer, I have no idea if this is something 'required' to operate this large organization. I know it is not General Motors, but to me the COG is a large organization.

Let me clarify my statements: in reality my income tax, that helps keep up our government, is spent in the first few minutes Air Force One is cranked up. I do not envy a president having use of that plane.
So in comparison I know that 10% of my yearly tithe probably would not buy the staff at HQ a Pepsi and a Big Mac. But it is still needed like that plane.
Embarassed
Friendly Face
3/22/17 12:30 pm

Post Cojak
Methocostal wrote:

... Embarassed
[/quote]

Thanks MC, I do understand where you are coming from. Cool
3/22/17 12:46 pm

Post Are the glory days of Acts behind us?! bonnie knox
Where are the days when some of our good Alabama boys would have objected to the OP calling Lincoln and Grant "good men."
Sad
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/27/17 11:52 am

Post Re: Are the glory days of Acts behind us?! Cojak
bonnie knox wrote:
Where are the days when some of our good Alabama boys would have objected to the OP calling Lincoln and Grant "good men."
Sad

everyone might not think so but I'm just about
ROFL ROFL ROFL
3/27/17 6:08 pm

Post Bro Bob
Bonnie, we understood the "good men" was tongue in cheek... it was never about the men, but about the denominations they represent. Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
3/27/17 7:19 pm

Post bonnie knox
Laughing [Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/27/17 7:21 pm

Post Cojak
Bro Bob wrote:
Bonnie, we understood the "good men" was tongue in cheek... it was never about the men, but about the denominations they represent.

Okay, Say it ain't so BB! Very Happy That would be snarky and Aprilmay ain't snarky! Embarassed Is they? Wink
3/27/17 9:49 pm

Post bradfreeman
This is the kind of high-quality "sticky" that keeps me coming back to Acts!

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
3/28/17 6:49 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
aprilmay rates stickys - brad doesn't.

Sounds about right.
3/28/17 1:03 pm

Post I'm not saved because I'm good. I'm saved because He's good! Charles Page
I wasn't good and nothing I could do merited His salvation for me, nothing.
He saved me because He is good!
3/28/17 1:55 pm

Post diakoneo
Wow a deleted sticky!

Is that a first?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
3/29/17 2:28 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic