Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why are certain acts sins? homosexuality being one.(very graphic)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Why are certain acts sins? homosexuality being one.(very graphic) caseyleejones
I know the quick answer is ...."because the bible says so" so I would prefer to avoid that if possible.

It seems clear that murder, lying, etc...are and easy to understand such.

But why homosexuality. The bible is clear, or at least to me, that it is a sin. Some have gotten to be friends with gay couples and changed their theology on such matters.

I have heard others say that it is a matter of anal sex, since that is a sin, then they are living in sin. Poor or bad argument here.

Yet, the only answer that would seem close is that marriage between a man and woman is a type of our relationship with Jesus and ourselves. It's a personal affront to God to embrace such relationships.

Saying that "it's a sin because the bible says so" is really a poor answer without explaining the why or understanding the heart of God.

Any others ponder this?

Last edited by caseyleejones on 3/14/17 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-perienced Poster
3/14/17 7:48 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Here is the most theologically sound answer I have - because God didn't make Adam and Steve.

Perhaps there are other correct answers as well.
3/14/17 7:57 am

Post UncleJD
there's the whole "unclean, unhealthy, early death" thing.

But yeah, I think "the Bible says" is pretty much the final authority on when something is a sin, at least for those that call themselves Christians, so I don't really understand the question. Its not like the world can be convinced of much anyway.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
3/14/17 8:01 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
(If you happen to be squeamish, I wouldn't recommend reading the rest of this post).

Okay, one problem with saying the Bible is a poor argument is one may then just as well say that having sex with animals is okay too, "as long as no harm is done."

That said, Paul's argument in Romans 1 appeals to nature, not Scripture per se, and so I believe we would do well to follow the inspired apostle's lead in this regard and argue that homosexuality, like bestiality, is against nature, against our very evident design.

It is well known to all precisely what the anus is designed for, and it is most definitely NOT designed for a penis to be inserted into it! In fact, even medical science indicates the physical damage that occurs as a result of anal sex. For many years I worked as a medical transcriptionist. More than once I typed reports in which the surgeon or GI doc said the patient had been told he must cease anal sex if he hoped to ever recover from the anal fissure/damage that from which he was suffering.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/14/17 10:07 am

Post Bro Bob
I appreciate wanting to understand the 'why'. It is commendable. It is clear what the thoughts of the creator are on topic so to understand the why is to become more capable of thinking (<bad choice of words) the way He thinks. Feeling the way He feels. Seeing through His eyes. Being aware of the intent that He built into His design. Where in all of nature is the demonstration of intelligent design, purpose and function more abundant than in the pro-creative process? ANYTHING that mutates that or rejects it is 180 degrees the wrong direction. To reject it is to hate life itself. To reject it is to reject the creator Himself.

That is why Paul said in Roman's 1 that this sin is the fruit of a bigger sin: Knowing the judgment of God that those who DO THESE THINGS are worthy of death, not only DO THEM but have pleasure in those who do them.

But the question asked here is also fraught with danger. As believers we may not be open to rejecting what He said, but very open to modifying it. "He didn't really mean it even then the way it comes off sounding today." "God is love. He approves of all forms of love".

This is the most common form of deception there is. It has been around for a long time due to its success.

Who told you you can't eat of it? See how delicious it looks? You shall not surely die.

Christians are bombarded with this method. Some sects are fully given to it. Some of them post here, and they are relentless in their rejection of His commands.

There is nothing we can do about that other than see it, identify it, and never let it go unchallenged.

I don't know what others may choose, but as for me and my house it is settled for eternity.

To me, this risk is nowhere close to being worth taking.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
3/14/17 10:35 am

Post bradfreeman
I think the reason it's listed in Leviticus 18 is the same reason it's a sin to eat pork or marry a woman and her sister.

God made a promise to Abraham that his descendants would be as numerous as the stars of the heaven and the sands of the sea. The rules are designed for Jewish families to be as healthy, harmonious and fruitful as they can be. So sex that was not reproductive and, at that time, was especially unhealthy was prohibited.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
3/14/17 12:55 pm

Post UncleJD
bradfreeman wrote:
I think the reason it's listed in Leviticus 18 is the same reason it's a sin to eat pork or marry a woman and her sister..

Ok, I used to give you the benefit of the doubt, but now you've revealed yourself. Its no surprise where the sloppy-agape, love-wins crowd ends up. I hope you are simply a parody and not for real with this. Either way, it crossed the line for me. Adios.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
3/14/17 2:14 pm

Post If I may....can I springboard off that.....very graphic.... caseyleejones
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
(If you happen to be squeamish, I wouldn't recommend reading the rest of this post).

Okay, one problem with saying the Bible is a poor argument is one may then just as well say that having sex with animals is okay too, "as long as no harm is done."

That said, Paul's argument in Romans 1 appeals to nature, not Scripture per se, and so I believe we would do well to follow the inspired apostle's lead in this regard and argue that homosexuality, like bestiality, is against nature, against our very evident design.

It is well known to all precisely what the anus is designed for, and it is most definitely NOT designed for a penis to be inserted into it! In fact, even medical science indicates the physical damage that occurs as a result of anal sex. For many years I worked as a medical transcriptionist. More than once I typed reports in which the surgeon or GI doc said the patient had been told he must cease anal sex if he hoped to ever recover from the anal fissure/damage that from which he was suffering.

Thanks QW for your response. I have heard a couple ministers say that oral sex was wrong because that is not what the mouth is used for. In fact, some even called it a sin. Could the same argument be used here in this case?
Acts-perienced Poster
3/14/17 7:10 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Its also why catholics and earlier cog folks were againtlst birth control. Sex was for procreation ONLY.
3/14/17 8:46 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I wouldn't say that sex is only meant for procreation. The Song of Solomon, as well as our own quite obvious experience, indicates that sexual pleasure within the bonds of God-ordained heterosexual marriage is a gift from God for purposes of enhancing love, tenderness and attachment within marriage. But not all expressions of sexual pleasure (such as homosexual activity for instance) are God ordained, nor are such acts in accordance with our natures as mankind created in the image and likeness of God. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/14/17 9:47 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic