Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Are bi-vocational ministers voiding the Sabbath?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Are bi-vocational ministers voiding the Sabbath? Aaron Scott
It occurred to me that if you work all week...then go to work for virtually the full weekend in sermon prep, preparing the facilities, preaching, etc., we are not resting even one day a week.

I imagine that for many of us, there have been times when pastoring didn't seem like work. I also imagine that most of us, with time, have come to feel a bit different about it.

Thoughts?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/31/17 12:17 pm

Post Re: Are bi-vocational ministers voiding the Sabbath? Nature Boy Florida
Aaron Scott wrote:
It occurred to me that if you work all week...then go to work for virtually the full weekend in sermon prep, preparing the facilities, preaching, etc., we are not resting even one day a week.

I imagine that for many of us, there have been times when pastoring didn't seem like work. I also imagine that most of us, with time, have come to feel a bit different about it.

Thoughts?

\
Anyone - pastor or not - might be forgetting the principal of rest.

Find a day - don't work - rest.

You need it.

If you can't find a day - you need to rework things so you do.
Obviously, you might be called in on an emergency - it happens at every job - but don't PLAN anything for one day a week.

Of course, this is being written by a guy that seems to work 7 days a week - but I am stupid for doing so.
1/31/17 1:03 pm

Post Da Sheik
I interviewed at a church one time. I met with the pastoral search committee, where they went over their expectations. I guess their former pastor was notorious for rarely being in the office. They had rigid office hour expectations, but what I really found off-putting was their Sunday schedule. They expected the pastor to basically be there from sunrise to late evening with only a lunch break. Not only did I feel sorry for the man who was going to take the job, I felt sorry for the congregation. Some who were involved in choir and Sunday School were literally in church all day long between classes, services, and practices.

As to bivocational ministers: I have a hard time finding fault with any of them. Most of them aren't laboring to be rich. The vast majority are working so that they can pay their bills and often the church's bills too. My heart goes out to all of them. It is exhausting mentally and physically. We all need time to rest.
Acts Enthusiast
1/31/17 1:13 pm

Post never thought of it before... wayne
After I come home from work on Monday I usually don't take calls or answer texts unless urgent and sometimes there are other days where I just do what I want to do and ignore church duties. I have to admit that I feel guilty about that from time to time but I make myself do it anyway. Shocked Shocked Shocked

I have been on my job for 24years this month and now have been pastoring for over 9 years. Shocked

where has the time gone?
Acts Enthusiast
2/1/17 8:31 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic