Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Preachers boys or the PK

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Preachers boys or the PK Cojak
I have met many preachers children now and honestly they seem better adjusted than back in my day. I thought today of Bro. Aaron's son. The boy was a joy to get to know in a short time. I just can't see him sneaking out of church, or sneaking into a hoocy-koochy show at the fair.

We weren't mean (it would be only mischievous in today's terms). At Camp Meetings I ran with the black t-shirt-pegged pants bunch. JD Collins, jack Avery, Dewey Lemons, Charles Delk, Johnny Horton, etc. We were only inside the Tabernacle when FORCED to be.

We lived up to the old negative statement, "That is the preacher's boy". My first day in school in Valdese, NC I was called to the principal's office. I wasn't even seated in class good. His first words were, "I hear you are the Holiness preacher's boy?" I said "Yes sir."
"Keep you nose clean and stay out of trouble here at school and you will be okay, BUT I don't want you back in my office for any reason, get back to class."

Looking back it was the strict rules of 'NO'. (Shows, TV, school sports, public pools etc) we rebelled against. In spite of the situations, some later became leaders in the COG, but many NEVER wanted to come back, home. (I still wonder what happened to some)

There were exceptions even back then. I think old Ron Martin was cool and the Sustar boys were always front row CampMeeting.

I think your Pastors kids are much more adjusted than we were, and for that I am very proud and glad. It is no fun for a kid to change schools and towns.
Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/23/17 1:29 pm

Post georgiapath
There are not as many "no's" for kids now, as it was back then.

They play pool and video games instead of attending Sunday School Class, it's called building relationships. How much more fun can you have than that?
Acts-dicted
1/24/17 12:04 pm

Post diakoneo
Growing up a PK in the seventies was a bit difficult.

One time I remember my brother spent the night at a "liberal" church attenders house(she wore pants and "bobbed" her hair Laughing ) anyway, she took my brother and her son to a Disney movie Surprised ! I remember my mother being concerned that some of the church members might find out. The woman was a new convert and did not know of the strictness of the Church of God then.

After the incident, I was envious of my brother and concerned that I would probably never get to go to a movie. Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/24/17 5:29 pm

Post bonnie knox
I had to read that twice. I got hung when you said your brother spent the night at the house of a woman who wore pants and bobbed her hair.Shocked
After the second time through, I gathered your brother was more the age of the woman's son than the woman.Embarassed

diakoneo wrote:

One time I remember my brother spent the night at a "liberal" church attenders house(she wore pants and "bobbed" her hair Laughing ) anyway, she took my brother and her son to a Disney movie Surprised ! I remember my mother being concerned that some of the church members might find out. The woman was a new convert and did not know of the strictness of the Church of God then.

After the incident, I was envious of my brother and concerned that I would probably never get to go to a movie. Smile
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/24/17 6:06 pm

Post Cojak
diakoneo wrote:

Yeah DK I spent a week at my uncles house in SC. They didn't attend any church, but boy did I have fun. He drove his family to a drive-in theater in Laurens. They had fixed pop corn and sandwiches and cokes. The kids sat out in front of the car to watch the movie. I lived in fear that he would tell daddy that he had taken me to the show.

For a long time I sneaked off the the movies on Sat. morning to see the cowboys. Got caught a couple times. Embarassed

Oh yeah, them wimmin in pants and bobbing their hair, BAD INFLUENCE! Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/24/17 6:42 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic