Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

In 1940's, 18-year-olds faced death in attacking beaches on D-Day. In 2016, 18-year-olds are desperately seeking safe zo

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post In 1940's, 18-year-olds faced death in attacking beaches on D-Day. In 2016, 18-year-olds are desperately seeking safe zo doyle
The first paragraph is not original from me. It came in my email. The thouight was so excellent - the comparison so vivid, that i couldn't resist adding several more paragraphs. I welcome viewers to add their thoughts.

In the 1940's, to defeat Nazism, American 18-year-olds faced enemy fire and possible death as they attacked the beaches of Normandy. In 2016, 18-year-olds have been desperately seeking "safe zones" to hide from hearing words with which they may not agree.

In the 1940's, 18-year-olds rushed to sign up for military duty, ready to take up arms to fight the enemy. In 2016, 18-year-olds are rushing weeping into the arms of professors begging to hide from news that their favorite person did not win an election.

In the 1940's, 18-year-olds ate C-rations for weeks at a time to have the strength to dig foxholes and fight the enemy. In 2016, 18-year-olds are given comfort foods and hot chocolate to calm their little nerves.

However, even now, there are some 18-year-olds who have asked to serve in our military. Our military is now slightly less than one percent of the entire population, but our safety for the future as a people and as a nation, depends on that one percent.

Doyle
12/8/16 7:11 pm

Post Cojak
It was a whole different world back then. Mindsets were different. There was an actual TRUE outlook that we could actually lose our way of life. At that time 16 year old boys were working 40 hours in mines and mills. percentage wise school was behind the 18 yr old guys.

Today 18 yr old kids as a whole are still at home and not expecting to leave except for college, and their 'room' is will still at mama's house.

I was a toddler-to 6 yrs during the WWII. I still remember mama praying many long nights for my brothers, cousins and uncles.

Yep todays 18yr olds haven't been taught how to accept life. I was/am shocked to read, "Teachers afraid to teach with Trump as president!" Students cannot attend class, etc. Even in 1956 I was a 17 year old married guy expecting our first child and accepting life's responsibilities.

That is NOT 2916! Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/9/16 12:20 am

Post Cojak JLarry
It was men like you who made this country what it is.

Thanks for you many years of service to this great country.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
12/9/16 8:27 am

Post Re: In 1940's, 18-year-olds faced death in attacking beaches on D-Day. In 2016, 18-year-olds are desperately seeking saf Methocostal
Amen Doyle.

doyle wrote:
The first paragraph is not original from me. It came in my email. The thouight was so excellent - the comparison so vivid, that i couldn't resist adding several more paragraphs. I welcome viewers to add their thoughts.

In the 1940's, to defeat Nazism, American 18-year-olds faced enemy fire and possible death as they attacked the beaches of Normandy. In 2016, 18-year-olds have been desperately seeking "safe zones" to hide from hearing words with which they may not agree.

In the 1940's, 18-year-olds rushed to sign up for military duty, ready to take up arms to fight the enemy. In 2016, 18-year-olds are rushing weeping into the arms of professors begging to hide from news that their favorite person did not win an election.

In the 1940's, 18-year-olds ate C-rations for weeks at a time to have the strength to dig foxholes and fight the enemy. In 2016, 18-year-olds are given comfort foods and hot chocolate to calm their little nerves.

However, even now, there are some 18-year-olds who have asked to serve in our military. Our military is now slightly less than one percent of the entire population, but our safety for the future as a people and as a nation, depends on that one percent.

Doyle
Friendly Face
12/9/16 9:53 am

Post Whose fault is it that 18 yr olds are Ernie Long
like they are today?

Cojac wrote, "It was a whole different world back then. Mindsets were different. There was an actual TRUE outlook that we could actually lose our way of life."

I believe we HAVE lost our way of life, not because of bullets and bombs, but by compromising our beliefs and the attitude of, "If it doesn't affect or offend me, then I don't care what other people do."
Acts Enthusiast
12/9/16 10:04 am

Post Link
I didn't hear anything about 'Trigger warnings' as a grad student at a university campus in Hawaii, except from on the radio. Maybe it only shows up in classes that deal with sensitive topics. They didn't give us trigger warnings in gradate seminars on research methods, international business, cross-cultural psychology, etc. I never gave one in an intro to management course. Maybe those topics aren't sensitive enough to young ears.

But if I were working in a university environment in the US where that stuff was common, I'd probably be subtly making fun of it, saying stuff about trigger warnings before bringing up topics like taxes, accounting, statistics or before anouncing a final exam. I might develop a 'Tigger warning' slide with a picture of the cartoon character. I don't know if that's good for getting tenure.
12/9/16 9:55 pm

Post georgiapath
We knew we had to make it on our own because our parents didn't have it to give to us.

There are two generations of people out there that feel like they shouldn't have to work. somebody else will take care of them.
Acts-dicted
12/10/16 9:02 am

Post Cojak
georgiapath wrote:
We knew we had to make it on our own because our parents didn't have it to give to us.

And that is a fact! Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/11/16 12:42 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic