Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What are your thoughts on cremation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Patrick Harris
Link wrote:
Patrick Harris wrote:
Link wrote:
Bonnie and Patrick,

How do you interpret 'let the dead bury their dead.' Do you think 'bury' has a metaphorical meaning?

I take it to mean this way. Let the dead (spiritually dead) bury (literally) their dead (literally).

Bonnie, it looks like you'd want to agree with that, since sprinkling ashes in the drinking water and on the food isn't going to happen if the dead get buried.

Jews, including some of the ones in the New Testament, historically squeezed a lot more out of a verse than some of the people on this forum are willing to do.

It's not a literal command, it was not intended to be a command, instruction or a guideline. Not everything is scripture has to be taken literally or as a command. Jesus used a lot of examples, analogy and even hyperbole.

Burial was a traditional mode of disposing of the body they understood. However, it was nothing more giving them an analogy they would understand....not to be taken as a literal command.

It was an actual command to that man who gave burying (not creamating) his father as a reason not to follow Jesus. Jesus said, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their dead."

Looking at the way Jesus used scriptures, is Jesus a 'big theme like the kind you get in the NIV' kind of guy, or a jot and tittle kind of guy? What about Paul? Paul argued off of the singular use of 'seed.'

I'm not a dig in the weeds or major on the minors believer. However, having said that, I do have a very extensive library of reference material for the Bible (Logos 6) and I haven't found any evidence in any commentary or study that shows that this scripture is a universal command for burial over cremation.

Even if it was a command... it was to one guy, the intent was to focus on the cost of discipleship, and not intended to be not a broad overreaching statement to be applied universally to mankind on proper burial techniques.

I believe that you have a tendency to take scripture way to literal at times, in places it was never intended to be literal.
Acts Enthusiast
9/8/16 2:22 pm

Post Cremation Methocostal
Is too hot to handle Smile Friendly Face
9/22/16 4:14 pm

Post Re: What are your thoughts on cremation? caseyleejones
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
What are your personal thoughts concerning a Christian being cremated?

My personal thoughts are that it is dishonoring to the body, and is a typically pagan practice.

So I assume you're going the natural route...no embalming fluid, in a cave and rolled stone? Smile Very Happy
Acts-perienced Poster
10/29/16 10:35 am

Post Re: What are your thoughts on cremation? Quiet Wyatt
caseyleejones wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

My personal thoughts are that it is dishonoring to the body, and is a typically pagan practice.

So I assume you're going the natural route...no embalming fluid, in a cave and rolled stone? :) :D

I plan on having what is known as 'immediate burial'; no embalming, put six feet under in a plain pine box within 24 hours of death.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/29/16 11:45 am

Post Re: What are your thoughts on cremation? Randy Johnson
UncleJD wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

What about Bubonic plague - folks burned the bodies, clothes, everything... so the rest of them could live.

Was that a pagan practice?

In exceptional cases, where public health would be at risk, and the motivation was simply that of preserving the lives of others, then obviously it would not qualify as pagan in that case. (Duh).

Then it does not qualify as pagan if its to save the family financial hardship either.

Amen! All hail the great god Mammon!
Ickesburg, Pennsylvania
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/30/16 4:14 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.