Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What is "White Privilege"

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post What is "White Privilege" Ernie Long
and where can I get some?

I'm white... have been all my life, but this privilege stuff seems to continue to elude me.

And why is it that the ones who complain about it the most are... rich white people????? Rolling Eyes
Acts Enthusiast
10/20/16 7:26 am

Post c6thplayer1
What is "White Privilege" = Pandering to group hoping for personal support. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/20/16 8:29 am

Post Eddie Robbins
It probably has something to do with the fact that when I was in elementary school I got all the new books. The old books went to the black schools. Black children were not allowed to come to "our" schools. I would consider that to be just one "white privilege." Acts-pert Poster
10/20/16 10:19 am

Post c6thplayer1
Eddie Robbins wrote:
It probably has something to do with the fact that when I was in elementary school I got all the new books. The old books went to the black schools. Black children were not allowed to come to "our" schools. I would consider that to be just one "white privilege."

I remember those days , they are over now.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/20/16 11:30 am

Post Re: What is "White Privilege" Old Time Country Preacher
Ernie Long wrote:
and where can I get some?

I'm white... have been all my life, but this privilege stuff seems to continue to elude me.

Me too, Ernie. The ole timer has been white most a his life an I aint never seen no white privilege.
Acts-pert Poster
10/20/16 12:37 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
It probably has something to do with the fact that when I was in elementary school I got all the new books. The old books went to the black schools. Black children were not allowed to come to "our" schools. I would consider that to be just one "white privilege."

I remember those days , they are over now.

I agree, however, wouldn't you agree that it takes more than a few generations to overcome the oppression? Obviously, this is the case. It is not 100%, of course. Many blacks have overcome their upbringing to become successful. Many whites squandered their upbringing.
Acts-pert Poster
10/20/16 12:40 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Eddie Robbins wrote:

That's not what they mean.
10/20/16 2:07 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Explain it.
Acts-pert Poster
10/20/16 2:55 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Explain it.

To them, it's an inherent thing. Whites are born inherently privileged and thus must be tamped down in society out of a sense of justice and fairness to non-whites. It is a defacto admission of inherent white supremacy on the part of these morons.
10/20/16 5:43 pm

Post Privileged people seldom know they are privieged patrickballington
A white guy in one of our small groups asked this same question and took great offense at the term "white privilege". The group leader gave what i believe to be a great modern example.

The group leader posed a hypothetocal situation to him:

If you were being interviewed for a job for which you are very qualified and were told by the interviewer that there was only one other candidate who was equally qualified sitting in the lobby waiting to be interviewes and when you walked out you saw that it was a black man, would you drive home worried that they would pick the other guy simply because he was a black?

The guy in the group who asked that question quickly responded, "no". Thr small group leader pointed out that is 'white privilege'.

I shared that conversation with a small group of men comprised of both white men and black men. The black guys said it was true that they always felt they would be passed over by a potential employer simply for the race if a white guy was also being considered. The white guys said they worried about being passed over because of affirmative action. I asked the white guys how they would feel if there was no affirmative action? They said things would go back to being fair. One black guy spoke up and said, "meaning yoi wouldn't drive home worried, but I still would."

(BTW, my daughter just married a wonderful black man a few weeks ago. He and I talk alot about these issues...and i am learning a lot! Example: my dad never taught me to take my wallet out of my back pocket before going into a gas station or convenient store and make sure the clerk can always see my hands. His dad did. I consider that 'white privilege'.)
Friendly Face
10/25/16 2:25 pm

Post Re: Privileged people seldom know they are privieged diakoneo
patrickballington wrote:
A white guy in one of our small groups asked this same question and took great offense at the term "white privilege". The group leader gave what i believe to be a great modern example.

If you were being interviewed for a job for which you are very qualified and were told by the interviewer that there was only one other candidate who was equally qualified sitting in the lobby waiting to be interviewes and when you walked out you saw that it was a black man, would you drive home worried that they would pick the other guy simply because he was a black?

The guy in the group who asked that question quickly responded, "no". Thr small group leader pointed out that is 'white privilege'.

I shared that conversation with a small group of men comprised of both white men and black men. The black guys said it was true that they always felt they would be passed over by a potential employer simply for the race if a white guy was also being considered. The white guys said they worried about being passed over because of affirmative action. I asked the white guys how they would feel if there was no affirmative action? They said things would go back to being fair. One black guy spoke up and said, "meaning yoi wouldn't drive home worried, but I still would."

(BTW, my daughter just married a wonderful black man a few weeks ago. He and I talk alot about these issues...and i am learning a lot! Example: my dad never taught me to take my wallet out of my back pocket before going into a gas station or convenient store and make sure the clerk can always see my hands. His dad did. I consider that 'white privilege'.)

Thanks for posting this!

Lots to think about. Sometimes we just have no idea what it's like to be in someone else shoes.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/25/16 2:32 pm

Post Re: Privileged people seldom know they are privieged wayne
diakoneo wrote:
patrickballington wrote:

Thanks for posting this!

Lots to think about. Sometimes we just have no idea what it's like to be in someone else shoes.

No we don't but does that make us bad people?

My dad lost his job in 79 when the company he worked for shut down. We lived on government food stamps, Medicaid, government cheese, powdered milk, we didn't have a car, we at times didn't have a phone, we ate lots of beans, lots of bologna, we got free school lunches, we went to the school in the summer for free breakfast/lunch, we did not have vacations and we rarely left the city that I lived in. We went through periods where our electricity and water would be shut off. We at one time ran an extension cord from our neighbors house just so we could have some light in the house. We were made fun of a lot because of what we wore, where we lived and what we had to do to survive.
There was a time when I went for a long period of time without a hot bath because we could not pay our utilities. I remember when we finally got our utilities turned back on and I took my first hot bath - when I got out of the tub I almost fell to the floor because my legs were so relaxed from the warm water(no joke). I have been working since I was 12 years old and even did odd jobs before then.
I said all that because the topic of white privilege really gets under my skin. I want to know where my special treatment was or is? To this day, I have a difficult time being satisfied with what I currently have because I still have a poor mans mentality in my head.
Because of my upbringing I go out of my way to help anyone who needs it but I do expect for that person to be working and trying to help themselves.
Acts Enthusiast
10/25/16 3:13 pm

Post Re: Privileged people seldom know they are privieged Resident Skeptic
diakoneo wrote:
patrickballington wrote:

Thanks for posting this!

Yeah. That goes both ways.
10/25/16 3:31 pm

Post Re: Privileged people seldom know they are privieged UncleJD
patrickballington wrote:
If you were being interviewed for a job for which you are very qualified and were told by the interviewer that there was only one other candidate who was equally qualified sitting in the lobby waiting to be interviewes and when you walked out you saw that it was a black man, would you drive home worried that they would pick the other guy simply because he was a black??

TBH? Yes. There are no quotas for white hiring. No diversity training programs putting pressure on managers to hire whites. No "black guilt" stuffed into "educated" management's heads to shame them for hiring blacks. I am involved in hiring and can tell you first hand that if two people are equally qualified and one is a minority, we'll be filling in all kinds of forms explaining why we didn't hire the minority. No such thing if we hire the minority though.

I'm not trying to say there is no "white privilege", but its hard to find in my admittedly predominantly white world. I'd say the only surviving remnants of it that I can see are with the police where I'm not afraid to drive around affluent neighborhoods when I see police patrolling.

edit: - I'm still thinking about this and here are some more thoughts

I was born into a blue-collar union home (yes my father crossed the union line into freedom when he voted for Reagan in 8Cool with a strong work ethic that said you get out of life what you put into it. I was never told that you can't get anywhere because of your color, or the man is going to keep you down. So that might be a little bit of "white privilege", but it shouldn't be. Conservatives have said for years that that sort of thinking in the minority communities are given to them by their Democratic "representatives" to keep them in an entitlement driven mindset. I believe that is true. I had several black friends in school growing up in neighborhoods near me with parents that would be considered conservative for blacks, and they have turned out to be very productive in society for the most part. Pastors, policemen (one is a chief of police today), business men. They never whine about white privilege on social media. I think its a term used to fuel mistrust and government dependence to keep those in power that use that sort of thing to maintain their power.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/25/16 3:39 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Well worth the watch:

http://northpoint.org/messages/071016-message/
Acts-pert Poster
10/25/16 4:42 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic