Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Jesus on the "LGBT" subject. He took part in destroying Sodom and Gomorrah.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Jesus on the "LGBT" subject. He took part in destroying Sodom and Gomorrah. spartanfan
It is quite common nowadays to hear Christians "play down" the sin of homosexuality by asking why Jesus in His Sermon on the Mount didn't even mention it. They say He was silent on the subject in the Bible but they are wrong. In making such shallow misleading statements they are dismissing the fact that the 2nd Person of the Godhead was involved in what happened at Sodom and Gomorrah. A study of Genesis 18 and the story of Sodom and Gomorrah will provide evidence that Jesus was very much involved personally in the raining down of fire and brimstone upon the numerous practicing homosexuals in those wicked cities - making an example of them once and for all to reveal how that sinful lifestyle is an abomination in His sight and that if it is not repented of will ultimately result in the Lake of Fire.

Genesis 18: 1-3, "Then the Lord appeared to him by the terebinth trees of Mamre, as he was sitting in the tent door in the heat of the day. So he lifted his eyes and looked, and behold, three men were standing by him; and when he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them, and bowed himself to the ground, and said, “My Lord, if I have now found favor in Your sight, do not pass on by Your servant.”

Theologians generally agree that that is one of the many Theophanies of Jesus (appearing on earth before the incarnation) as it mentions “the Angel of the Lord.” You cannot argue against the fact that there are appearances of the pre-incarnate Christ (Christ before He came in the flesh) and the visit to Abraham on the way to Sodom and Gomorrah (to reveal to His friend what He is about to do) is one of them.

This “Angel” is referred to numerous times in the Old Testament with masculine pronouns (Genesis 16:13; Judges 6:21).

He is identified as God (Judges 6:11, 14; Zechariah 12:8).

He performed miracles (Judges 6:21; 13:20).

Gideon and Manoah thought they would die because they saw the “Angel” face to face (Judges 6:22; 13:22).

The “Angel” accurately foretold future events (Judges 13:3).

His name is “wonderful” (Judges 13:18; Isaiah 9:6).

He destroyed 185,000 soldiers of the Assyrian army in one night (2 Kings 19:35).

While angels have occasionally performed some of these actions, such as miracles and prophecy, there are clear examples when “the Angel of the Lord” cannot be viewed as a normal angel. He is occasionally identified as God, accepted worship, and at least two people who saw Him thought they would die for seeing Him face to face. These same attributes and activities are clearly attributed to God elsewhere in Scripture. (All of this according to answersingenesis.org)

Finally, “the Angel of the Lord” does not make any appearances after the birth of Christ in the New Testament, although the risen Jesus did appear to Saul on the road to Damascus (Acts 9:1–6; 22:6–10; 26:14–19; 1 Corinthians 9:1; 15).

These truths have led many students of Scripture to conclude that “the Angel of the Lord” in Genesis 18 in the Old Testament is none other than Christ Himself. In the Old Testament He is called God, given attributes of God, seen by people, worshiped, and distinguished from the Father and Spirit.

So Jesus said according to Genesis 18:17-25, “Should I hide my plan from Abraham?” God asked. 18 “For Abraham shall become a mighty nation, and he will be a source of blessing for all the nations of the earth. 19 And I have picked him out to have godly descendants and a godly household—men who are just and good—so that I can do for him all I have promised.” 20 So the Lord told Abraham, “I have heard that the people of Sodom and Gomorrah are utterly evil, and that everything they do is wicked. 21 I am going down to see whether these reports are true or not. Then I will know.” 22-23 So the other two went on toward Sodom, but the Lord remained with Abraham a while. Then Abraham approached him and said, “Will you kill good and bad alike? 24 Suppose you find fifty godly people there within the city—will you destroy it, and not spare it for their sakes? 25 That wouldn’t be right! Surely you wouldn’t do such a thing, to kill the godly with the wicked! Why, you would be treating godly and wicked exactly the same! Surely you wouldn’t do that! Should not the Judge of all the earth be fair?” (TLB)

So, you say Jesus said nothing about His disdain for sodomy? Look again. In fact it appears then that He basically told Abraham that He was going to do what needed to be done in Sodom and Gomorrah if the cries coming up to Him because of their wicked sins warranted a display of judgment! And upon His evaluation of the truth of the accusations - Jesus destroyed that wicked place with fire and brimstone. No question in my mind as to how He views homosexuality.

So all this stuff about "Jesus never revealed anything about how He feels about Sodom or sodomy or homosexuality" is just plain ignorant. Read your Bible if you want to know how Jesus feels about it.

To answer the typical misstatement about Jesus not addressing homosexuality in His "Sermon on the Mount" is an easy thing to do. He didn't have to address the things that were blatantly obvious (like being a rapist, pedophile or bestiality) because Jesus was a Jew teaching Jews living in a Torah observant culture. In the first century Jewish culture there was no need for Him (ministering unto His own, the Jews) to expound on men doing detestable things with each other because His very culture of Torah observance adamantly opposed such abominations. In other words - it was a "given."

Later, as the Church spread from just that Jewish culture to the gentiles, the apostle to the gentiles had to talk about such detestable things (read Romans) because it was no longer assumed that everyone they ministered to had a good basic anti-abominations upbringing.

So Paul speaking to the Gentiles in Romans 1:24-27 has to say things that a Jew teaching Jews wouldn't have to expound upon as Paul says to the Romans, "24 So God let them go ahead into every sort of sex sin, and do whatever they wanted to—yes, vile and sinful things with each other’s bodies. 25 Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they prayed to the things God made, but wouldn’t obey the blessed God who made these things.

26 That is why God let go of them and let them do all these evil things, so that even their women turned against God’s natural plan for them and indulged in sex sin with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sex relationships with women, burned with lust for each other, men doing shameful things with other men and, as a result, getting paid within their own souls with the penalty they so richly deserved."

So the next time you hear that "Jesus didn't say anything about the abomination of homosexuality and sodomy" stuff- don't stand there scratching your head wondering why He didn't tell us how He feels about such things. He made it very plain. The people of Sodom and Gomorrah found out how Jesus felt about their wickedness and the story is there for our benefit so we never have to question His feelings on the subject.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
10/5/16 6:15 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Jesus would love the LGBT community, and tell them exactly what he told the woman caught in adultery, "Go and sin no more." Acts-pert Poster
10/5/16 9:52 am

Post No doubt... spartanfan
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Jesus would love the LGBT community, and tell them exactly what he told the woman caught in adultery, "Go and sin no more."

Jesus loves everyone. And He would tell everyone to receive forgiveness that is freely offered, repent of your sin and go and sin no more. But that's not the issue.

The issue here is that nowadays people point to the Sermon on the Mount and say "Jesus didn't mention homosexuality but He mentioned other sins." People are told that and somehow embrace the misconception that Jesus didn't let us know how He felt about men having perverted sex with each other and that somehow because it was not specifically mentioned in the Sermon on the Mount that it isn't such a big deal. That's just wrong - He did let us know exactly what a big deal it is.

It's like in Acts 5 when Ananias (with his wife Sapphira) sold some property and and brought only part of the money to the church as an offering while claiming it was the full price.
In verses 3-6 it says: (3) But Peter said, “Ananias, Satan has filled your heart. When you claimed this was the full price, you were lying to the Holy Spirit. (4) The property was yours to sell or not, as you wished. And after selling it, it was yours to decide how much to give. How could you do a thing like this? You weren’t lying to us, but to God.” (5) As soon as Ananias heard these words, he fell to the floor, dead! Everyone was terrified, (6) and the younger men covered him with a sheet and took him out and buried him.

That was pretty harsh - but God used them as an example once and for all to let us know how serious lying to the Holy Ghost is. Now that He's made an example of them, I'm sure if someone came to Jesus who was guilty of the same thing, He would love them and tell them to "Go and sin no more." But we have the example of how seriously God takes the sin of lying to the Holy Ghost as being.

In the same fashion - after having burned alive the perverts at Sodom and Gomorrah, making an example of how He feels about their abominations, God has made His point once and for all about how seriously He takes the sin of homosexuality to be. So now, after that is established there is no need to make an example of everyone who participates in such detestable things. And I'm sure that when someone turns to Jesus who has been guilty of indulging in homosexual perversion that He loves them and tells them to "Go and sin no more."

But the point is - Christians need to tell the truth- that God has made it clear how seriously he takes the sin of homosexuality and quit making out like it is not such a big deal or Jesus would have mentioned it in the Sermon on the Mount. That is what I was repudiating and I certainly was not insinuating that God does not love and offer forgiveness and deliverance to the LGBT sinners.

In fact, I love gay people and I want them to receive forgiveness, repent and join the family of God. But we do not help them at all by acting like their sin is not such a big deal. Hate the sin - love the sinner. That's the Jesus way!
10/5/16 10:51 am

Post Re: No doubt... bradfreeman
spartanfan wrote:
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Jesus would love the LGBT community, and tell them exactly what he told the woman caught in adultery, "Go and sin no more."

Jesus loves everyone. And He would tell everyone to receive forgiveness that is freely offered, repent of your sin and go and sin no more. But that's not the issue.

OTCP: Jesus didn't say: "Go and sin no more."
Sparty: Jesus didn't say: "Repent of your sin and go and sin no more."

He said: “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.” Jn 8:11

Condemn - "katakrino" to judge worthy of punishment

He freely offered no condemnation to this guilty woman.
She didn't apologize, she didn't confess this and her other sins, she didn't promise to do better.
His gift of no condemnation to her and to all of us empowers us to walk out of bondage, not from a place of fear, but from a place of freedom, love and vindication.
Jesus does not condemn (judge worthy of punishment) the LGBT community.
God didn't send His Son (or us) into the world to condemn the world (Jn 3:17). There is no condemnation in Christ.

His gift of no condemnation is not on a timer: "You get 3 weeks after your conversion to stop sinning or you get condemned!" No, it's a new covenant we're under, a Tree of Life we are in where the knowledge of your good doesn't supply you with confidence toward God and the knowledge of your evil doesn't condemn you.

But they did not receive Him, because He was traveling toward Jerusalem. When His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?” But He turned and rebuked them, [and said, “You do not know what kind of spirit you are of; for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.”] And they went on to another village. Luke 9:53-56

If you think He wants fire to consume them, Jesus would rebuke you and say He didn't come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
10/6/16 6:28 am

Post Hijacking spartanfan
You are off subject and attempting to hijack this with your usual play on words. Go and sin no more..... meaning repent. But this is about the fact that God (including Jesus the 2nd Person of the Godhead) has clearly revealed His displeasure of sodomy in an undeniable way and we shouldn't play it down but recognize and proclaim the seriousness of it and its consequences out of real love and concern for those involved. You probably should start another thread. Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
10/6/16 6:42 am

Post Re: Hijacking bradfreeman
spartanfan wrote:
You are off subject and attempting to hijack this with your usual play on words. Go and sin no more..... meaning repent. But this is about the fact that God (including Jesus the 2nd Person of the Godhead) has clearly revealed His displeasure of sodomy in an undeniable way and we shouldn't play it down but recognize and proclaim the seriousness of it and its consequences out of real love and concern for those involved. You probably should start another thread.

Isn't this thread about how Jesus feels about the LGBT community?

God hates sin...all sin. Jesus hates sin...all sin.

Heb. 1:8 But of the Son He says,

“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever,
And the righteous scepter is the scepter of His kingdom.
9 “You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness;
Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You
With the oil of gladness above Your companions.

That's why He came: to take away the sin of the world, redeem us and establish a new covenant so He could remember our lawless deeds no more.

Heb. 10:17 “And their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”

Now while the sons of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering wood on the sabbath day...Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man shall surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” So all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him to death with stones, just as the Lord had commanded Moses. Num 15:33-36

Now, none of your sin, including your lawless Sabbath-breaking, is remembered any more.

Acts-dicted
10/6/16 7:02 am

Post Re: Hijacking Cojak
bradfreeman wrote:
...Isn't this thread about how Jesus feels about the LGBT community? ...

God hates sin...all sin. Jesus hates sin...all sin.

Now, none of your sin, including your lawless Sabbath-breaking, is remembered any more.

Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/7/16 10:30 pm

Post All of you sin repented of... spartanfan
It is great that all of our sins confessed and repented of are no longer remembered! Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
10/8/16 9:28 am

Post Marriage b/t a man and a woman therealist
is the only marriage Jesus endorsed Hey, DOC
10/11/16 8:46 pm

Post Re: Marriage b/t a man and a woman Eddie Robbins
therealist wrote:
is the only marriage Jesus endorsed

He also didn't endorse marrriage, divorce and remarriage but I don't see the church being outraged by this. In fact, we have pastors in our own denomination in that very situation. It's a matter of picking and choosing our sins.
Acts-pert Poster
10/12/16 7:18 am

Post Y'all hijacking this.... spartanfan
This is about God (Father-Son-Holy Spirit) showing how he feels once and for all about sodomy and homosexual stuff - that it is a perversion, abnormal, detestable and corrupt. It is a twisted misuse, misapplication, debasement of what God intended when he created male and female sexual parts. Start another thread on marriage and divorce or cheeseburger eating if that's what you want. Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
10/12/16 7:53 am

Post Re: Y'all hijacking this.... bradfreeman
spartanfan wrote:
This is about God (Father-Son-Holy Spirit) showing how he feels once and for all about sodomy and homosexual stuff - that it is a perversion, abnormal, detestable and corrupt. It is a twisted misuse, misapplication, debasement of what God intended when he created male and female sexual parts. Start another thread on marriage and divorce or cheeseburger eating if that's what you want.

How "he feels once and for all'?

If you're going to take the position that His "feelings" (what He calls "sin") never change, you should be prepared to discuss other "sins" that He no longer "feels" are sins.

Acts 10:15 Again a voice came to him a second time, “What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy.”

Acts 10:28 And he said to them, “You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a man who is a Jew to associate with a foreigner or to visit him; and yet God has shown me that I should not call any man unholy or unclean.

Clearly, God was telling Peter that foods it used to be a sin to eat were no longer sinful.

Clearly, people the Law calls unholy or unclean are not unholy or unclean.

Did God's "feelings" about shellfish and pork change?
Did God's "feelings" about Gentiles change?
Or did the list of abominations simply fail to show us God at all?

John 1:17 For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him.

John 10:8 All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.

2 Cor 3:15 But to this day whenever Moses is read, a veil lies over their heart; 16 but whenever a person turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Acts-dicted
10/12/16 9:44 am

Post There you go again... spartanfan
improperly defining my position. My position is that God has not (and will not ever) change His view that homosexuality is perverse, wicked and unholy.

Just read scriptures like Romans 1:
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,

21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves,

25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature.

27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting;

29 being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality,[c] wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving,[d] unmerciful;

32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

There is one subject here and that is the LGTB immorality. If you wish to discuss immorality of another kind then start another thread please.
10/12/16 11:03 am

Post So, God is NOT the same yesterday, today and forever? doyle
One poster shares that he believes Jesus participated in destroying Sodom.
Another viewer says that today, Jesus would share His love for the gay community. Another poster says that Jesus would say, "Neither do I condem thee. Go and sin no more."

Does the statement He made to one person apply to all sinful acts of all people? If so, is there any behavior of man that Jesus condemns?

And, what about Hebrews 13:8 where is says Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever? Would that mean that what the Lord felt about Sodom, would be how He feels today? Or, has Jesus changed His mind?

I certainly am not qualified to be any persons judge or jury. Because of my own struggle with sinfuness over the years, without Chrtist, I would be on the way to hell instead of heaven. So, I'm wonderfully happy to know that "it is not the Lord's will that any should perish." However, there will be those who perish in spite of all God has done for them. It is their choice, not His. People drowning in sin have the right to grab hold of the Life Preserver or push Him aside.

As a Hospital Chaplain, I work with all kinds of people of all kinds of religious opinions. i care for all of them. My heart goes out to them when they are hurting. I want them to recover, but some never will. Their lifestyle continues to drag them down and ultimatley some die because they refuse to change their behavior; drinking habits, drug habits or eating habits.

Repenting is not just saying "I'm sorry." It means the person has decided to change direction in their life. It means there will be a change of behavior.

Doyle
10/17/16 9:56 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Why was Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed? Acts-pert Poster
10/18/16 7:08 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Why was Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed?

It was a heap more than that they was not hospitable.
Acts-pert Poster
10/19/16 3:54 pm

Post Re: So, God is NOT the same yesterday, today and forever? bradfreeman
doyle wrote:
Does the statement He made to one person apply to all sinful acts of all people? If so, is there any behavior of man that Jesus condemns?

Jesus hates sin. The Father hates sin. Sin has already been condemned - at the cross, when it was laid on the body Jesus and put away.

For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, Rom. 8:3

Jesus is the same. There is no person He condemns or accuses.

For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. Jn 3:17

He is the same.

Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; there is one who accuses you—Moses, in whom you trust. Jn 5:45

He is the same.

When the days were approaching for His ascension, He was determined to go to Jerusalem; and He sent messengers on ahead of Him, and they went and entered a village of the Samaritans to make arrangements for Him. But they did not receive Him, because He was traveling toward Jerusalem. When His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?” But He turned and rebuked them, [and said, “You do not know what kind of spirit you are of; for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.”] And they went on to another village. Luke 9:51-55

He is the same.

Quote:
And, what about Hebrews 13:8 where is says Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever? Would that mean that what the Lord felt about Sodom, would be how He feels today? Or, has Jesus changed His mind?

Jesus hasn't changed His mind.
But like everyone prior to His birth, Sodom didn't get to see Jesus. Sodom didn't get to see "His mighty works". No one saw God under the old covenant (John 1:18 - "no one has seen God at any time").

Then He began to rebuke the cities in which most of His mighty works had been done, because they did not repent: 21 “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. 22 But I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon in the day of judgment than for you. 23 And you, Capernaum, who are exalted to heaven, will be brought down to Hades; for if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. 24 But I say to you that it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment than for you.” Mat 11:20-24

Mighty works show (Acts 10:38 - doing good and healing all) the kindness of God to those who need repentance.
Mighty works cause people to believe in God. They bring people to faith.

Acts-dicted
10/23/16 6:46 am

Post Eddie, Mark Ledbetter
Eddie Robbins wrote:

According to Ezekiel 16 it was because

they were arrogant, had an abundance but refused to give to the needy
they were haughty and committed abominations
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
10/28/16 6:47 pm

Post Re: Eddie, spartanfan
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

According to Ezekiel 16 it was because

they were arrogant, had an abundance but refused to give to the needy
they were haughty and committed abominations

Of particular interest in regard to this is the part there in verse 50 where it says, "And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good." According to the Hebrew Dictionary (Lexicon-Concordance) the number 1 answer as to what the word abominations means is:
1) a disgusting thing

It's just wrong the way Christians nowadays try to change the meaning behind certain Scriptures to make allowances for certain sins that are being accepted more and more by a liberal Church in this backslidden world of ours. In regard to Sodom, their disgusting sin brought fire and brimstone down upon them. You can't "twist" that away. Just tell the truth - homosexuality is a sin that unless repented of will result in the Lake of Fire for those who commit it. It is "a disgusting thing" and an abomination according to the Lord. Therefore we should plead with those who participate in it to repent, receive forgiveness and Jesus as savior and Lord and forsake the sin of homosexuality as well as all other sins they have been committing. We should pray for those caught up in the LGBT sinful lifestyles to get saved. We should love them enough to pray for them and share the truth of the Gospel of the Kingdom with them.
10/29/16 6:36 am

Post Lack of understanding this leads to heresy..... spartanfan
We have seen it recently as LifeWay Christian Bookstore (Baptist owned and operated) dropped a popular author for advocating lesbianism: "Hatmaker broke from her evangelical base, telling Religion News Service columnist Jonathan Merritt that she supports same-sex marriage and believes LGBT relationships can be holy. Such statements followed a social media post this April in which Hatmaker called for LGBT inclusion in churches. Her recent comments prompted LifeWay Christian Stores, the large Southern Baptist bookseller that published her 2012 bestseller “7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess,” to discontinue selling her Bible studies and books." Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
11/2/16 8:20 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic