Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Does God Want Us to Prosper?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Resident...actually Aaron Scott
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Is II Timothy 4:13 inspired?
Quote:

The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.

Can we draw some doctrinal revelation from this verse?

I heard someone preach on this one time. I cannot remember the context.

Now, do I think it is scripture? I don't know. Honestly, I don't. It certainly is not contrary to the scriptures--which is a necessity. Of course, the verbal inspirationist and inerrantists MUST believe that it is inspired, since they have packed so much into their manmade "doctrine" that it leaves them no room.

But you know, I wasn't sure all those begets were that inspired either...until I read of some tribe that was having the gospel preached to them. They took one's ancestry VERY seriously, and so they were absolutely taken with the begets of the scriptures, and when it was shown that Jesus was in the lineage, etc., it caused them to feel assured of the gospel.

So, yeah, God can have much bigger plans than I can see for it. Maybe there is some reason that is important...we just haven't seen it yet. Maybe just to make us aware that there may be parchments out there somewhere that will shed additional light, who knows?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/22/16 8:19 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
bonnie knox wrote:
Okay, we're on to something here! Carpus means fruit. We can get all kinds of spiritual allegories with that!
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Resident Skeptic wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
Parchments? That's what they print diplomas on! Just make sure they're from accredited institutions!
Or, if we wanted to use the hermeneutics some folks around here use, we would jump on that word "especially" and start making a lot of hoopla about the written word.

Resident Skeptic wrote:
Is II Timothy 4:13 inspired?
Quote:

The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.

Can we draw some doctrinal revelation from this verse?

BBWWAAHHAA Or we'd find the root meaning of "Troas" and "Carpus" and conclude that God was sending a special "covering" (cloak) in the spirit realm blah blah blah

We laugh but there are people who do just these kinds of things.
9/22/16 9:09 pm

Post Another thought... Aaron Scott
I noticed that John write, "I WISH ABOVE ALL THINGS...." Now that's a very tall order. And even if it is somewhat "hyperbolic" (let's not get started on that), the POINT is that John deeply wished that Gaius would prosper and be in health, even as his soul prospered. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/23/16 12:35 pm

Post Re: Another thought... Eddie Robbins
Aaron Scott wrote:
I noticed that John write, "I WISH ABOVE ALL THINGS...." Now that's a very tall order. And even if it is somewhat "hyperbolic" (let's not get started on that), the POINT is that John deeply wished that Gaius would prosper and be in health, even as his soul prospered.

What is prospering in the same way as your soul? Can your soul become a millionaire? It is SO much deeper than anything this world can offer. Yet, we think it means more money. Wow!
Acts-pert Poster
9/23/16 1:02 pm

Post Re: Another thought... Quiet Wyatt
Aaron Scott wrote:
I noticed that John write, "I WISH ABOVE ALL THINGS...." Now that's a very tall order. And even if it is somewhat "hyperbolic" (let's not get started on that), the POINT is that John deeply wished that Gaius would prosper and be in health, even as his soul prospered.

So, above all things he wished Gaius would be healthy and wealthy. Above completion of the Great Commission, above the whole world knowing we are His disciples by our love one for another, above...well you get the point (perhaps, lol).

So much more understandable is the translation offered by the NRSV, for instance:

Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, just as it is well with your soul.

Or the NIV:

Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.

Or the ESV:

Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul.

Or the NET:

Dear friend, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, just as it is well with your soul.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/23/16 3:00 pm

Post Re: Another thought... Aaron Scott
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

So, above all things he wished Gaius would be healthy and wealthy. Above completion of the Great Commission, above the whole world knowing we are His disciples by our love one for another, above...well you get the point (perhaps, lol).

So much more understandable is the translation offered by the NRSV, for instance:

Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, just as it is well with your soul.

Or the NIV:

Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.

Or the ESV:

Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul.

Or the NET:

Dear friend, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, just as it is well with your soul.

Um, you did notice that I said that it might indeed by hyperbole? The point is that John VERY MUCH WANTED these things for Gaius. Do you think John was out of God's will?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/23/16 5:10 pm

Post Re: simple question bradfreeman
bonnie knox wrote:
The Lord showed Paul what he would suffer for Christ's sake.
Was that persecution God's will or not?

Persecution by religion is promised. We will be hated just as Christ was hated. Persecution is NOT God's will, peace is God's will but He won't leave a system of death unchallenged. He is putting every enemy under His feet.

We do His will when we stand for the Gospel and preach it. When we suffer persecution throughout doing ("kata" according to) that will we trust our souls to Him.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
10/11/16 2:08 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.