Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Liberal Theologian Celebrated Guest @ Lee
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: I agree with Bonnie... Charlie Earl
Brandon Bohannon wrote:
Charlie Earl wrote:
Brandon Bohannon wrote:
We need more evidence/info than that.

There are so many gender qualities that are based out of traditions and cultural pressure.

In our own culture, if a girl is athletic, outdoor-sy, and prefers pants to a dress-- she is a "tomboy" or ridiculed as something "worse". Likewise, a boy that prefers to stay inside, read, play an instrument, cook, etc. is a "momma's boy" or labeled as something "worse". "Women belong in the home. Men should mow the grass. Women should do the laundry. Men should change the oil in the car. Women should clean the bathroom. Men should make more money. Women should make (and take care of) more babies."

I have personally listened to, enjoyed and learned to disagree with Shane Claiborne, Leonard Sweet, Brian McLaren, Rob Bell, Tony Campolo and others. I have some major differences with several that I listed and others that I didn't. One thing that I have appreciated about each of them is that they have made me think and think about what I believe and what I think that I know. This is what University is for. University isn't a production line for uniformity and group think. University is for building individuals who go back out into various and sundry fields, locations and occupations, creating and innovating, building upon the individuals gifts and strengths and in the process giving the University a reputation of being a destination place for this process to be successfully played out over and over again.

It should not threaten us that the world thinks differently than we do. It shouldn't threaten us that parts of the Body function and think differently than we do. Someone from the stage of the General Council said it very well, our young COG generation has options outside of the COG to be a part of great organizations that are planting churches, doing Mission and making a difference for the Kingdom. I would like for them to stay with us, the COG. We can't accomplish this by clinching our fists. Thanks to the proliferation of blogs, conferences and digital learning, our people have access to more thinkers and writers than ever before. Standing in our proverbial lawn while shaking a fist to the sky and yelling, "Get off my lawn", won't accomplish anything. Teaching our children that there are views out there different than our own and to engage those views inside and outside the church in the manner that Jesus would is what education is all about. Granted, my degree comes from a large, state University and not from a small, private Christian school but from my perspective, Dr. Conn and Lee University are to be applauded and celebrated for teaching a Christian work-force to think and to engage. Just my honest opinion.

Based on the folks you quote, I understand where you are coming from.
I actually chose the names of the people I disagree with the most and that make me the most uncomfortable-- but that have made me think. Very Happy

I actually prefer to quote Jesus.

Yes. Touché brother!! I am not suggesting cookie cutter uniformity. Just clarity and consistency as a denomination. Because we are not a confessional body -- our COG doctrinal statement is soooooo broad, it leaves too many doors open for confusion. Someone at HQ said, "There is a million miles (theologically) between Keith and Ocoee Streets."

And, another significant leader said, to me, "The only thing in common between Lee and PTS is the library".

Interpret that as you want---

If the goal is broadness in doctrine, fine...just say so.

But, our doctrinal expression in our educational institutions as significantly changed in past 25 yrs. if majority say "better" fine, but it has changed to a left of center theology that is a departure from its biblically conservative evangelical identity.

And yes, I know how Cleveland theology wants to banish "evangelical" and make a distinctive "pentecostal" stream of identity, etc. know that perspective ad nauseam...
9/15/16 9:09 am

Post philunderwood
I love Miro! He doesn't agree with me on everything, but I love him. LOL, we are so close we are Facebook friends!!

As you'll see below, he has some DANGEROUS thoughts.

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
9/17/16 11:37 pm

Post Re: I agree with Bonnie... Old Time Country Preacher
Charlie Earl wrote:
Someone at HQ said, "There is a million miles (theologically) between Keith and Ocoee Streets."

This statement is absolutely not true.

It's 996,942 miles, not a million.
Acts-pert Poster
9/18/16 12:48 pm

Post Does the denomination .... Mat
Does the denomination (COG) still embrace the principles of the Christian Union?

“As many Christians as are here present that are desirous to be free from all man-made creeds and traditions, and are willing to take the New Testament, or law of Christ as your only rule of faith and practice; giving each other equal rights and privilege to read and interpret for yourselves as your conscience may dictate, and are willing to set together as the Church of God to transact business as the same come forward.”
R.G. Spurling

I would suggest that if there is no "room" for engaging various views of scripture, than the COG has stopped being a "movement" and become a static "monument." Early in the movement different view points were "preach-out" at the assemblies and direction was sought from the scriptures, the Spirit and conscious. Engaging other views is not agreement or approval.

In the current highly structured COG, where is that "safe-space" for seeking a better understanding of scripture? Or is the doctrine set in stone (and the minutes)? It seems that your institution of higher learning, which is staffed by many faithful ministers and member of the COG (who are committed and invested in the denomination) is the best place to host such inquires.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
9/19/16 6:41 am

Post Eddie Robbins
If you are a credentialed minister and question something, charges can be brought against you regardless of how long you have given your life to the church. That part is very sad. Anything that is a non-essential to the faith should be examined without retribution. It is why we are told to study. Acts-pert Poster
9/19/16 11:06 am

Post Re: Does the denomination .... Old Time Country Preacher
Mat wrote:
where is that "safe-space" for seeking a better understanding of scripture?

It used to be Actscelerate till all the woffies/grace-ites commenced bombardin the board. Laughing
Acts-pert Poster
9/19/16 11:34 am

Post Re: Does the denomination .... Mat
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Mat wrote:
where is that "safe-space" for seeking a better understanding of scripture?

It used to be Actscelerate till all the woffies/grace-ites commenced bombardin the board. Laughing

I don't think "safe space" when I think of Acts-Celerate. Its a good place to sharpen you knife, spiritually speaking.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
9/19/16 6:43 pm

Post Re: I love this thread... bonnie knox
I kinda like it myself; about 6 times someone replied with "Re: I agree with Bonnie." Cool [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/2/16 8:46 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic