Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

10 Ways the WOF Movement Went Wrong (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post 10 Ways the WOF Movement Went Wrong (L) Old Time Country Preacher
http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/41054-10-ways-the-word-of-faith-movement-went-wrong Acts-pert Poster
9/9/16 9:34 am

Post Good article brotherjames
This article is a reasoned and sensible and balanced review and criticism of the WOF movement. I have felt much of the same and said so from the pulpit and elsewhere. I saw and see the abuses and excesses many of the WOF proponents and some teachers have made. However, that said, your mistake OTCP and others is that you write off and discount the truths that are correct in the movement and you write off the teachers and followers as heretics and "fruits, flakes and nuts". That is not so. You may disagree but as Jesus told His disciples:

Mark 9:38 NIV "Teacher," said John, "we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us."
Mar 9:39 "Do not stop him," Jesus said. "For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me,
Mar 9:40 for whoever is not against us is for us.
Acts-celerater
9/9/16 10:05 am

Post bradfreeman
The WoF movement has its fleas, but the article simply reveals the typical bipolar message about a bipolar God. Too much to address on a Friday afternoon. One example is the glorification of brokenness. We aren't broken in Christ, we're complete. His anointing was to bind up the brokenhearted. Yet this message constantly "challenges" people to remain broken, hungry, thirsty and desperate. SMH

Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst. John 6:35,36

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
9/9/16 2:02 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
bradfreeman wrote:
The WoF movement has its fleas, but the article simply reveals the typical bipolar message about a bipolar God. Too much to address on a Friday afternoon. One example is the glorification of brokenness. We aren't broken in Christ, we're complete. His anointing was to bind up the brokenhearted. Yet this message constantly "challenges" people to remain broken, hungry, thirsty and desperate. SMH

Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst. John 6:35,36

Brad, son, for a former COG boy, aint ya glad you done been fully illuminated an have the only message of truth? I think Brad is Actscelerate's resident gnostic.
Acts-pert Poster
9/9/16 2:31 pm

Post Cojak
I like this kind of article, it confuses the..... daylights out of me. There are days I know what I know, and days I think I knowed what I knowed.

Great points. But me? I don't buy it all, and neither do I buy the little preacher in Texas's version either.

Amazing how ignorant I am when I try to listen to too many preachers I don't know.

Confused Confused Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/9/16 10:16 pm

Post Link
One of the problems I always had with the WOF movement from the time I was a teenager is that I'd hear a preacher on TV read a verse and then explain why it didn't really mean that, explaining it through the rubric of WOF philosophy-- but the verse is still there on the page.

Or the preacher would say something that contradicted other scripture. For example, he'd preach against praying for God's will when Jesus did it and instructed the disciples to pray 'Thy will be done' in what we call the Lord's prayer.

WOFers will say that God doesn't make people sick, and that the Devil makes people sick. That's not just WOFers, of course. But let's look at Exodus 15:26
And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.

But who put the sicknesses upon the Egyptians in that verse?

Hagin heard someone who knew Hebrew say that a certain grammatical feature in Hebrew could be translated as 'allowed' rather than 'caused'. Then, without checking the references to find out if the passages that went against his theology could be explained away using this argument, he just dismissed any passage where God caused 'bad stuff' we humans don't like as God allowing it.

If God allowed Himself to put the sicknesses on the Egyptians, how can we get away from His doing it and taking credit for it.

Exodus 15:10
But you blew with your breath,
and the sea covered them.
They sank like lead
in the mighty waters.
(NIV)

Did God allow Himself to blow on the sea and cover the Egyptians with water? He did it. He didn't blame it on the Devil.

I wonder if WOF preaching led to carnality, selfishness, or shallowness, or if the teaching attracted it.

It also has irked me to see the promotion of greed from the pulpit, packaged with Bible verses. If you have preachers who preach on blessings and brag about their fancy car from the pulpit, with little preaching on financial stewardship, living a life of simplicity, etc., then you can end up with a greedy church and spawn preachers that preach greed.
9/9/16 10:29 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Link wrote:
One of the problems I always had with the WOF movement from the time I was a teenager is that I'd hear a preacher on TV read a verse and then explain why it didn't really mean that, explaining it through the rubric of WOF philosophy-- but the verse is still there on the page.

Or the preacher would say something that contradicted other scripture. For example, he'd preach against praying for God's will when Jesus did it and instructed the disciples to pray 'Thy will be done' in what we call the Lord's prayer.

WOFers will say that God doesn't make people sick, and that the Devil makes people sick. That's not just WOFers, of course. But let's look at Exodus 15:26
And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.

Hagin heard someone who knew Hebrew say that a certain grammatical feature in Hebrew could be translated as 'allowed' rather than 'caused'. Then, without checking the references to find out if the passages that went against his theology could be explained away using this argument, he just dismissed any passage where God caused 'bad stuff' we humans don't like as God allowing it.

If God allowed Himself to put the sicknesses on the Egyptians, how can we get away from His doing it and taking credit for it.

They sank like lead
in the mighty waters.
(NIV)

Did God allow Himself to blow on the sea and cover the Egyptians with water? He did it. He didn't blame it on the Devil.

I wonder if WOF preaching led to carnality, selfishness, or shallowness, or if the teaching attracted it.

It also has irked me to see the promotion of greed from the pulpit, packaged with Bible verses. If you have preachers who preach on blessings and brag about their fancy car from the pulpit, with little preaching on financial stewardship, living a life of simplicity, etc., then you can end up with a greedy church and spawn preachers that preach greed.

Link, son, you done made some woffie advocates real mad..............Keep preachin it.
Acts-pert Poster
9/10/16 3:25 am

Post bradfreeman
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Brad, son, for a former COG boy, aint ya glad you done been fully illuminated an have the only message of truth? I think Brad is Actscelerate's resident gnostic.

I do preach Jesus...and He IS the Truth.
There is only ONE message, ONE name, ONE Truth that saves and sets free. Very Happy

Acts-dicted
9/12/16 6:24 am

Post bradfreeman
Link wrote:

They sank like lead
in the mighty waters.
(NIV)

"For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ. No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him." John 1:17,18

At the end of all the Old Testament, John simply said "no one has seen God". The Old Testament didn't show us God...Jesus did.

At the end of Jesus' life, Jesus said, "from now on...you have seen Him."

"If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.John 14:7

This isn't Word of Faith theology, it's the Gospel.

If you want to see God, look at Jesus.

He killed no one.
He healed everyone who asked.
He forgave without people even asking.
He refused to rain fire (Lk 9:56). He refused to condemn (Jn 3:17).
He refused to accuse (Jn 5:45).
He welcomed sinners.
He rejected the religious system that elevated rules above people (Mk 3:6)
His vengeance, His anger, His ax, His curse and His rebuke was reserved for a fruitless fig tree of religion that was only ministering condemnation, fear and death.

Acts-dicted
9/12/16 6:47 am

Post Link
bradfreeman wrote:

At the end of Jesus' life, Jesus said, "from now on...you have seen Him."

"If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.John 14:7

This isn't Word of Faith theology, it's the Gospel.

If you want to see God, look at Jesus.

He killed no one.
He healed everyone who asked.
He forgave without people even asking.
He refused to rain fire (Lk 9:56). He refused to condemn (Jn 3:17).
He refused to accuse (Jn 5:45).
He welcomed sinners.
He rejected the religious system that elevated rules above people (Mk 3:6)
His vengeance, His anger, His ax, His curse and His rebuke was reserved for a fruitless fig tree of religion that was only ministering condemnation, fear and death.

Jesus will execute vengence on them that believe not.

"Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way,
for his wrath is quickly kindled" (Psa 2:12).
"The Lord is at your right hand;
he will shatter kings on the day of his wrath.
He will execute judgment among the nations,
filling them with corpses;
he will shatter chiefs
over the wide earth" (Psa 110:5,6).

"Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels" (Mat 25:41).
"God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you, and to grant relief to you who are afflicted as well as to us, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might ..." (2The 1:6-9).
9/12/16 6:47 pm

Post bradfreeman
Link wrote:

Jesus will execute vengence on them that believe not.

"Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way,
for his wrath is quickly kindled" (Psa 2:12).
"The Lord is at your right hand;
he will shatter kings on the day of his wrath.
He will execute judgment among the nations,
filling them with corpses;
he will shatter chiefs
over the wide earth" (Psa 110:5,6).

"Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels" (Mat 25:41).
"God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you, and to grant relief to you who are afflicted as well as to us, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might ..." (2The 1:6-9).

Yes!

Isa 61:2 to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn;

His vengeance brings comfort to all who mourn.

Mat 22:5 But they paid no attention and went off, one to his farm, another to his business, 6 while the rest seized his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. 7 The king was angry, and he sent his troops and destroyed those murderers and burned their city.

7 woes in Mat 23.

Mat 23:31 Thus you witness against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers. 33 You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell? 34 Therefore I send you prophets and wise men and scribes, some of whom you will kill and crucify, and some you will flog in your synagogues and persecute from town to town, 35 so that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah the son of Barachiah, whom you murdered between the sanctuary and the altar. 36 Truly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.

Mat 24:2 But he answered them, “You see all these, do you not? Truly, I say to you, there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.”

John announced the ax being laid to the root of the fruitless tree. Mt 3:10
Jesus cursed the fruitless fig tree from the roots up. Mk. 11
Jesus flipped the temple tables of those who were selling access to God. Mk 11
Jesus announced that faith in God would cast "this mountain" into the sea. Mk 11
Mt. Sinai burned with fire. Deut 5:23; Heb 12:18
John saw that mountain that burned with fire cast into the sea. Rev. 8:8
Jesus announced the fruitless tree would be cut down. Mt. 7
Jesus called the pharisees serpents. Mt 23
Jesus called the pharisees the sons of the devil. Jn 8:44
Jesus called the pharisees the sons of hell. Mt 23
John called Jerusalem, Sodom and Egypt. Rev 11:8
Paul called the Jews and Jerusalem, Hagar. Gal 4
Paul called those who follow him from town to town, the messengers of Satan, false brethren (not true Jews). 2 Cor 12; Acts 14:2; Acts 14:19; Gal 2:4

This whole religious system vanished...not one stone left upon another.

Heb. 8:13 In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Paul said the true Jew is the believer, the one circumcised in heart. Rom. 2:28, Gal 3.

Acts-dicted
9/13/16 6:26 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic