Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Cussing in the Curriculum

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Cussing in the Curriculum Resident Skeptic
This is what I posted on another forum at 10:09 this morning from work....

Quote:
I'm hearing cussing.
I'm mean now, as I type this. I'm subbing a high school literature class. The students are to take turns reading aloud from a certain novel. It is full of profanity (including "God d--n and the F word)and sexual themes. As an instructor I would be disciplined or fired for using the words these kids are required to read aloud. The kids themselves would also be in trouble for using such language. There is so much classic American literature these kids know nothing about.

This country has gone INSANE! Christians need to rise up and take the school districts back! I know for a fact that 90% of parents in this rural little town would flip over this. How do people who are so opposed to the values of the parents in their school districts end up controlling the education of our kids! ENOUGH!!

I went on to add...
Quote:

Just talked to the Principal who is a young Christian lady herself. She told me she is just as sick about this as I am but that there is nothing she can do about it. I believe her. I sensed she wanted to tell me more but could not. But we the people CAN do something about this.

I refused to let it continue. I have 2 more classes left. I will ignore the assignment and have study hall instead. If they fire me so be it.

The first class I had read silently because it did not seem reading aloud would work with that group. Thus I did not hear the profanity until 2nd period. At the first couple of words I interjected my concern. But when the F bombs and G.D. started, I expressed outrage and shut it down. Sadly most of these unregenerate kids did not understand my concern.

So how was your day?
8/30/16 3:24 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Christians forcing their convictions on sinners doesn't work. It will only alienate you. I would come from a citizen point of view rather than a Christian point of view. Acts-pert Poster
8/30/16 3:28 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Christians forcing their convictions on sinners doesn't work. It will only alienate you. I would come from a citizen point of view rather than a Christian point of view.

I agree. However, this community is dominated by Christians and is very conservative. As usual the left gets to push its immorality on this community and they do not worry about feeling alienated.
8/30/16 3:29 pm

Post UncleJD
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Christians forcing their convictions on sinners doesn't work. It will only alienate you. I would come from a citizen point of view rather than a Christian point of view.

I agree. However, this community is dominated by Christians and is very conservative. As usual the left gets to push its immorality on this community and they do not worry about feeling alienated.

I understand the libertarian approach from Eddie, but in this case I agree with RS based on the makeup of the town. They should be just as free to not hear filth as atheists are to hear their fill of it. The education system has an agenda against conservative towns and the school system is where to get it done. Just ask John Dewey.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/30/16 4:03 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
But, not in the name of Christ. You're not in church. Do it as a concerned citizen in the name of decency. Acts-pert Poster
8/30/16 4:12 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Eddie Robbins wrote:

I really dont think its just a Christian point of view Eddie. Its more of a decency and respect issue instead. No wonder the kids have neither today if this is what they are taught.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/30/16 4:42 pm

Post Cojak
It is a sad situation, I agree with RS and I agree with Eddie. Really something should be done, how? As an old man, I have no idea. The truth is some of these kids hear this same language at home, so they do wonder what is wrong with it.

In an area that is a majority Christian morals, it is the tail wagging the dog. Public opinion, if raised, should be enough to shut it down. Shocked

If that doesn't work then the area is NOT mostly of Christian morals.

We all should know you cannot legislate morals, but you do not have to aid and abet. Christians with kids in school should show frustration at the moral content. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/30/16 11:06 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
This reminds me of the starfish story (copied from http://www.throwingstarfish.com/the-starfish-story/)

Once upon a time, there was a man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a child, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The child was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The child paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean.”

“I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?” asked the somewhat startled man.

To this, the child replied, “The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them in, they’ll die.”

Upon hearing this, the man commented, “But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can’t possibly make a difference!”

At this, the child bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, “I made a difference for that one.”

Make a difference for the ones you can, RS.
8/30/16 11:59 pm

Post Ernie Long
Eddie Robbins wrote:

I'm glad paul didn't go to Ephesus as a concerned citizen.
Acts Enthusiast
8/31/16 6:23 am

Post Clint Wills
Eddie Robbins wrote:
But, not in the name of Christ. You're not in church. Do it as a concerned citizen in the name of decency.

Why not?? Why can't we do things because we are followers of Jesus? Can't we be BOTH a concerned citizen AND a Christian? My faith is not a part of me, it is at the very core of who I am. There are many things that I'm confident wouldn't bother me if it weren't for my relationship with Jesus. Our faith is not something that we should put on a shelf so that we don't offend someone. Jesus is pretty clear that we are the light of the world, and that we are supposed to be out there for everyone to see and give glory to our Heavenly Father. If we never talk about our Heavenly Father, then how is He supposed to get glory?
8/31/16 7:28 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic