Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What you should know BEFORE becoming a COG minister
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: What you should know BEFORE becoming a COG minister Charlie Earl
doyle wrote:
If someone you know is considering becoming a COG minister, what do you feel they should know BEFORE applying?.

We are told that over five thousand COG ministers have turned in their credentials either voluntairly or involuntairly, in the past 10 years. Those stats come from COG headquarters. The 5,000 number represents many thousands more when family members of the minister is included.

In all denominations there is a continuous flow of people in and out, but what can the COG in particular do to help stem those kinds of losses in ministers?

For an organization that wants to grow, this is a critical issue. COG officials do read posts here. They are dedicated and concerned for their church, so share your heart - use a pen name if needed.

This is not intended to be a hit job on the COG nor is it meant to be disrespectful of COG officials, but some officials live in the proverbial bubble. Where they reside, the money is good, the congregations are larger and there are plenty of accolades and expense accounts to go around, but the COG is primarily smaller churches.

When a large congregation or pastor of one pulls out, it makes headlines, but are we losing people because they lose heart for ministry, or do they feel they can accomplish more somewhere else?

Whachathink?

Unless you are "connected" by COG Family members or "who you know" in the food chain, you probably will serve in obscurity most of your ministry per the denomination. It's a "good ole boy" food chain where the cliche of "politics" is a reality.

Get use to it or move on. Less qualified pastors will jump over you because of their connection (or their wife).

If outsider coming in...lol...good luck unless you have a good size church to add to state rolls.

Do I know this? Am I cynical? Yes to both.
8/17/16 7:49 am

Post bonnie knox
That's funny. Does "jumping over you" mean they will get a bigger church that pays more? If that's your goal, you have no business being a minister of the gospel in the first place. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/17/16 10:03 am

Post Patrick Harris
I found this thread a reminder of how perceptions don't seem to change.

In 1983 God called me to be a minister after being filled with the Holy Ghost and with confirmation through the evangelist and pastor.

That very week I was approached by a member of my church in NC,at the time, a lay minister, and flat out told: " You don't really don't have the connections to make it in the COG. ". My church was a COG in ENC.

Didn't stop me from completing the MIP program though. One of the best times I've had training with other ministers.
Acts Enthusiast
8/17/16 11:32 am

Post Charlie Earl
bonnie knox wrote:
That's funny. Does "jumping over you" mean they will get a bigger church that pays more? If that's your goal, you have no business being a minister of the gospel in the first place.

Of course not. But, every minister seeks to move forward in their ministry advancement. Money, lol, yea that's a motivator.
8/17/16 3:55 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
But, every minister seeks to move forward in their ministry advancement.

I guess I'm not sure what you are considering moving forward and how not being part of the good-ole-boy network keeps you from it. Maybe you can expound on what you mean. Of course, as a member, I have a different view of a pastor thinking he is improving by leaving my church.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/17/16 4:46 pm

Post Charlie Earl
The ministers/pastors know what I am addressing.
8/17/16 5:06 pm

Post bonnie knox
I pretty sure I know what you mean, too. I was just hoping that you would expound and show me that I had misjudged what you were saying. Anyway, it's sad to be so cynical.

My pastor started church in his living room with his family. His "connection" has been a prayer connection. Nobody can mess with that connection.

Charlie Earl wrote:
The ministers/pastors know what I am addressing.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/17/16 7:27 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Many pastors do basically try to climb the ministry 'career ladder'. Then again, there are some who prefer to not move every few years to a bigger and supposedly better church. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/17/16 7:49 pm

Post Charlie Earl
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Many pastors do basically try to climb the ministry 'career ladder'. Then again, there are some who prefer to not move every few years to a bigger and supposedly better church.

I know few pastors who, given opportunity, would not like to move to a church that may/may not be bigger, just see a move to be expansion of their gifts and training.

Kudos who don't. But, many do.

If you have a job, is it unspiirtual to aspire to promotion -- is that somehow bad? Doesn't Paul commend those who desire to be a bishop/overseer? Isn't that ambition to be commended.

Limitations on state councils are less effected by what I originally noted. That usually is the pastor who is getting involved in state meetings, camp meetings, camps, etc. AB see that and appreciate those who are faithful in the state functions. Again, if nothing is being offered per a council seat or something, sometimes it is just the pastors fault.

But, opportunities on a wider national level -- often are limited to certain "connections" -- this is not unique neccesarily to COG per se. This may include a "lateral" move to another state, may be a bigger church, etc. is that wrong? Of course not.

But, that's all I've known and it is my observation over the years. If this is not your experience -- wonderful.

So, coming into COG -- work hard for glory of God and keep eyes off man for promotion and let God work it out.

But, face the reality my young Timothy -- it's a good ole boy church.
8/17/16 8:26 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Charlie Earl wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Many pastors do basically try to climb the ministry 'career ladder'. Then again, there are some who prefer to not move every few years to a bigger and supposedly better church.

I know few pastors who, given opportunity, would not like to move to a church that may/may not be bigger, just see a move to be expansion of their gifts and training.

Kudos who don't. But, many do.

If you have a job, is it unspiirtual to aspire to promotion -- is that somehow bad? Doesn't Paul commend those who desire to be a bishop/overseer? Isn't that ambition to be commended.

Limitations on state councils are less effected by what I originally noted. That usually is the pastor who is getting involved in state meetings, camp meetings, camps, etc. AB see that and appreciate those who are faithful in the state functions. Again, if nothing is being offered per a council seat or something, sometimes it is just the pastors fault.

But, opportunities on a wider national level -- often are limited to certain "connections" -- this is not unique neccesarily to COG per se. This may include a "lateral" move to another state, may be a bigger church, etc. is that wrong? Of course not.

But, that's all I've known and it is my observation over the years. If this is not your experience -- wonderful.

So, coming into COG -- work hard for glory of God and keep eyes off man for promotion and let God work it out.

But, face the reality my young Timothy -- it's a good ole boy church.

Why would you give kudos to those who don't try to climb the professional ministry ladder? Also, why would you refer to me as "my young Timothy?"
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/17/16 10:02 pm

Post Cojak
I don't think a minister should be 'TOLD' negatively what CE is saying, mainly because from what little I know about similar 'central government' organizations, the process is the same. (The same in a political or civilian business environment). One would be completely ignorant or uninformed to say that name recognition does not help to even get your foot in the door.

National politics: Roosevelt, kennedy, and Bush come to mind. In business, a worker would be out of his mind to think I would put him ahead of my son. (considering my son was qualified).

The COG is no different by state. Each state has names recognized as leaders. And YES, if you are new and want a church, it would HELP to be kin or KNOW someone 'with a NAME' within that state. It is really good it you know, or are kin to the state overseer.

Is it always true? NO SIR it is not, BUT for sure over all it pays to KNOW someone, that is no secret. I imagine you could look at the history of General Overseers, Council members, and state overseers names and see a lot of similar names or kin.

Disclaimer. We have many young ministers who are not connected or known and do plant a work, God blesses and it blossoms to a fantastic work.
Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/17/16 11:00 pm

Post bonnie knox
I'll try not to belabor my point, which I don't feel I've communicated, so I'll try to make this brief.
I believe too often a worldly metric is used to judge success as a minister. No, ambition is not a good thing in ministry if the ambition is to make a name for ourselves, build a bigger building, make more money, get more people just for the sake of numbers, or move to a place where these things will happen. There needs to be a zeal to spread the gospel and to be obedient to God's direction. We put God in a worldly box with the way we measure success.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/18/16 8:10 am

Post Charlie Earl
bonnie knox wrote:
I'll try not to belabor my point, which I don't feel I've communicated, so I'll try to make this brief.
I believe too often a worldly metric is used to judge success as a minister. No, ambition is not a good thing in ministry if the ambition is to make a name for ourselves, build a bigger building, make more money, get more people just for the sake of numbers, or move to a place where these things will happen. There needs to be a zeal to spread the gospel and to be obedient to God's direction. We put God in a worldly box with the way we measure success.

I agree -- you stated thoughts clear. You nailed it. Thanks.
8/18/16 9:34 am

Post c6thplayer1
bonnie knox wrote:

I agree with you bonnie. and you have to remember that there are many, many , many people that agree with me. they all agree with me. Its tremendous. tremendous. People love me. all people love me. I have won millions and millions of votes. People vote for me. Thats many many many people.

Part of the problem why women cannot be a part of the ministry is because China is ripping us off. Ripping us off. We must stop this and I alone am the only one that can stop this. I can stop this. Of course there must be a softening on this issue. It must be softened.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/27/16 10:55 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.