Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I might be chopping my head off, but...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I might be chopping my head off, but... Ernie Long
here goes and just to make sure everyone knows, I am not being disrespectful of anyone with this post.

What is the big deal of becoming an Ordained Bishop?

Will it make me preach better, pastor better, have more compassion, grow my church, grow the Kingdom of Heaven, give me more friends, lose weight, be smarter, act younger, fit in skinny jeans?

I am a white, middle age, slightly overweight, mentally balance(depending on who you ask) Ordained Minister.

I know several Ordained Bishops and we all do the same thing, except I will never hold an office on the State or International level and honestly the majority of Ordained Bishops won't either.

The following is a small portion of a post on Facebook by a female Ordained Minister, "I would love to have the same fellowship with other ministers in the Church of God that my brothers in ministry enjoy. To be able to talk with them about what God is doing in their lives and churches and to be part of a powerful prayer movement."

I desire the same thing, I believe we all do regardless of our titles and sex.

I don't believe that when Exhorters, Ordained Ministers and Bishops die, that God looks at the credentials and allows us to enter Heaven by our rank. I have my doubts that Gabriel will walk before a man on those golden streets and proclaim an Ordain Bishop of the Church of God has arrived.

So, what's the big deal about being an Ordained Bishop?
Acts Enthusiast
7/25/16 9:36 am

Post Re: I might be chopping my head off, but... Old Time Country Preacher
Ernie Long wrote:

Will it make me preach better, pastor better, have more compassion, grow my church, grow the Kingdom of Heaven, give me more friends, lose weight, be smarter, act younger, fit in skinny jeans?

Well, Ernie, yes, ifn ya git the right size, becoming a OB will help ya fit in skinny jeans. When ya take the exam the very last question is what size pants ya wear. Specify that ya want skinny jeans, an when the AB presents ya with ya OB certificate, ya git a pair a jeans to boot. An you know them young bucks think they aint no anointin without skinny jeans.
Acts-pert Poster
7/25/16 10:34 am

Post bonnie knox
One thing about skinny jeans--they've just about cured belt jerking. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/25/16 10:37 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
bonnie knox wrote:
One thing about skinny jeans--they've just about cured belt jerking.

True Dat an Fo Shizzle too. With them skinny jeans they aint a whole heap to jerk. A preacher has gotta have a pair a pants like TD Jakes, you know, about 5 sizes too big, to really do justice to the belt jerk.

You may not know this, Miss Bonnie, but the ole timer coined the term "belt jerk" in the early days of Actscelerate. Here is the etymology of the term. Back in the day when preachers would git in a big way a preachin, I've seen it so many times I can't count, they would, with a microphone in one hand, take the other hand and grab their belt on the side an kinda pull, jerk an situate theirselves. Kinda like when ya been settin fer a spell, then ya git up, most folk will adjust their clothin accordingly. I've even seen Baptist preachers do it to. Now, I never heard it called any certain thing, so me an a few was talkin bout it on Acts on day, an lo an behold, outta nowhere, the phrase "Belt Jerk" come to the ole timer's mind. Hey, now it is a staple on Acts.
Acts-pert Poster
7/25/16 10:43 am

Post Re: I might be chopping my head off, but... Nature Boy Florida
Ernie Long wrote:
here goes and just to make sure everyone knows, I am not being disrespectful of anyone with this post.

I am a white, middle age, slightly overweight, mentally balance(depending on who you ask) Ordained Minister.

I know several Ordained Bishops and we all do the same thing, except I will never hold an office on the State or International level and honestly the majority of Ordained Bishops won't either.

The following is a small portion of a post on Facebook by a female Ordained Minister, "I would love to have the same fellowship with other ministers in the Church of God that my brothers in ministry enjoy. To be able to talk with them about what God is doing in their lives and churches and to be part of a powerful prayer movement."

I desire the same thing, I believe we all do regardless of our titles and sex.

I don't believe that when Exhorters, Ordained Ministers and Bishops die, that God looks at the credentials and allows us to enter Heaven by our rank. I have my doubts that Gabriel will walk before a man on those golden streets and proclaim an Ordain Bishop of the Church of God has arrived.

So, what's the big deal about being an Ordained Bishop?

Ernie,
I agree.

I don't think anyone looks down on me for not being an OB. I don't think I am "less fellowshipped" because of it either.

And based on what I saw of the sessions last week - I would just as soon spend time with the family at Disney World as be there. And since there are some that do it anyway, at least I don't feel guilty. Twisted Evil

As for being able to vote, I think women should have that privilege for sure.

So if ordained women is the highest rank they are allowed to have - then ordained women should be able to vote.

If Ordained men want to vote - they can become OBs.
7/25/16 10:47 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I don't think anyone looks down on me for not being an OB.

No, that's not the reason they look down on you, no not at all. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Razz Razz Razz
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/25/16 10:50 am

Post So, I'm taking from what has been said so far is Ernie Long
that there is no benefit whatsoever in becoming an Ordained Bishop in the Church of God, so why are most female Ordained Ministers wanting to become one?

In the world people always wants what someone else has, regardless if it is a benefit to them or not, why do people act the same way in church?

If a female Pastor is a Ordained Minister and at some point in time she becomes an Ordained Bishop, I highly doubt that she will preach or pastor any different.

I have "friended" a female Pastor on facebook who is an Ordained Minister and any chance she has to complain/argue about not being able to become an Ordained Bishop she takes it. She makes comments about the issue on things people post that has nothing to do with church much less an Ordained Bishop and it makes her look small and hateful. I really feel sorry for her, she is probably a good person and pastor, but her remarks is not only hurting her, but her church as well.

I have found there is more to life than being known by a title, there are more important things that need our attention.

If you are called of God to preach, then preach.

If you are called of God to teach, then teach.

If you are called of God to help others, then help others.

If you can encourage others, then encourage others.
Acts Enthusiast
7/26/16 6:35 am

Post bradfreeman
For me, ordination (at any level) was about access to hospitals, prisons or anywhere else where papers gained me access. In the organization, higher levels can means opportunities. But no, it doesn't make you "better"...period.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
7/26/16 8:00 am

Post While at the Asembly... Paul W. Nolan
I was working in Registration at the Assembly. I had the privilege of checking in Dr. Steve Land and his wife. By the way, his wife is very articulate and knowledgeable. He was asked the question regarding women having the title, Ordained Bishop. I listened to this giant of biblical, theological, and doctrinal knowledge give the best explanation as to the place of women in ministry and service. I wish I could have recorded it, or better yet, I wish a microphone had been afforded us, then and there, for the General Council to have heard it all.

When all was said and done, I heard a very distinct question come out of his very biblical explanation, "Do you want to be an Ordained Bishop for the sake of ministry or for the sake of a title and/or a position?" I don't care if your male or female, that's the question you have to answer. You're probably saying, "Well, you can have the title and/or position and minister." Yes, but you don't have to have it to minister.

I had a lady at a church that I pastored, once she had received her Exhorters credential, stood up to testify in a service regarding the arduous process to get credentialed. Her statement was that she got the credentials because she promised her grandfather that she would do it. Not once did I hear her proclaim anything about her reasons or purpose for being credentialed to minister the Gospel; just that she promised her grandfather she would get those credentials.

I hope he's happy now.
Friendly Face
7/26/16 10:37 am

Post Just to be clear Ernie Long
I am not against going as high as a person desires to go, but as Bro. Nolan well stated, know the reason for it.

I know of a few Ordained Bishops who are sitting in the pew every Sunday, not pastoring, not teaching, not evangelizing, but they do have the title and the paper hanging on their wall at home. Why? not because of retirement, but some I know accomplished the task because someone told them they would never become an Ordained Bishop. They did it to prove someone wrong.

I applaud you who are Ordained and those who are working toward that goal, but let it be a goal and not an end to a means. The calling on your life is more important than proving to someone that you have a good memory and are able to pass a test.
Acts Enthusiast
7/26/16 11:41 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
So, I'm taking from what has been said so far is that there is no benefit whatsoever in becoming an Ordained Bishop in the Church of God, so why are most female Ordained Ministers wanting to become one?

Ernie, I think NBF mentioned one thing specifically that is available to ordained bishops and that is voting in the General Council. That is where the voting takes place that elects the Council of 18 and the Executive Committee. To whatever extent the decisions made by the Council of 18 and the Executive Committee affect the direction of our organization, that's an important decision. (Isn't there a similar restriction for voting on the State Council?) Anyway, as NBF says, if a male pastor feels this is important, he works his way up to ordained bishop. If a female pastor feels this is important, she has no recourse.
I don't know how many female ministers are waiting to be allowed to obtain the next level of credentialing, but I think there is probably a much greater number of women who would love to see our organization change its attitude toward women.
If being an ordained bishop is, as you say, no big deal, why are men so afraid of letting a woman be one?
But why don't you dialogue with the ordained minister you mentioned? Find out why the issue is bugging her. She might be relieved to know someone actually cares how she feels.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/28/16 8:20 am

Post Cojak
I have for a long time had one simple thought on this subject and the COG. If the COG 'ALLOWS' in OUR rules that a lady can pastor, and pastor any size church, I see it as silly not to allow her to vote or hold higher office.

For those who hold the line of 'being silent', I had to smile at OTCP (methinks) who said, 'Silent means no coughing or sneezing', silent is silent!. Embarassed Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

I reckon that is like 'long hair' Long is as long as it will grow........ Unless....

Last edited by Cojak on 7/28/16 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/28/16 9:59 am

Post Ernie Long
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:
So, I'm taking from what has been said so far is that there is no benefit whatsoever in becoming an Ordained Bishop in the Church of God, so why are most female Ordained Ministers wanting to become one?

Ernie, I think NBF mentioned one thing specifically that is available to ordained bishops and that is voting in the General Council. That is where the voting takes place that elects the Council of 18 and the Executive Committee. To whatever extent the decisions made by the Council of 18 and the Executive Committee affect the direction of our organization, that's an important decision. (Isn't there a similar restriction for voting on the State Council?) Anyway, as NBF says, if a male pastor feels this is important, he works his way up to ordained bishop. If a female pastor feels this is important, she has no recourse.
I don't know how many female ministers are waiting to be allowed to obtain the next level of credentialing, but I think there is probably a much greater number of women who would love to see our organization change its attitude toward women.
If being an ordained bishop is, as you say, no big deal, why are men so afraid of letting a woman be one?
But why don't you dialogue with the ordained minister you mentioned? Find out why the issue is bugging her. She might be relieved to know someone actually cares how she feels.

What makes you think I haven't spoken with her? She stated that she feels becoming an Ordained Bishop will make her equal to her brothers in Christ. When she first started talking about her frustration on FB, many pastors who are OB's posted that they had no problem with women being OB's and were 100% for passing this at the GA if it came up for a vote.

You stated, "I think there is probably a much greater number of women who would love to see our organization change its attitude toward women."

I don't know what mean you by this statement, I know women who are lead pastors and associate pastors I know women who have started churches, I know women evangelists, I know churches who have women on their pastor's council, I know women who lead worship, teach SS, CC, CE, I know women who are the clerks of their church, and most churches would close if the women in those churches decided to stop working in them.

Would you elaborate on your opinion of our organization's attitude toward women?
Acts Enthusiast
7/28/16 10:01 am

Post bonnie knox
If you've talked to her, great! It just seemed that you were perplexed as to why it was a big deal to her. I figured if you had talked with her, you would know why she felt it was important.

Anyway, our organization as of right now does not allow women to obtain the highest level of credentialing. The reasoning behind it is expressed in sundry ways but comes down to the idea that women are supposed to be subordinate to men. That basically means that women are valued less than men, that women pastors are not equal colleagues of male pastors.
Certainly, there are many individuals in the organization that do not feel that way, but when the votes are tallied, so far women are still limited in the Church of God.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/28/16 11:47 am

Post Cojak
bonnie knox wrote:
Certainly, there are many individuals in the organization that do not feel that way, but when the votes are tallied, so far women are still limited in the Church of God.

Probably will remain the same for another 10-12 years. When some younger men, get 'old enough' to vote. Embarassed Then another 10 to 14 years before the rank and file of members will realize there was a change. Shocked

I still now folk who do not accept integration, change is slow. Embarassed BUT IT DOES HAPPEN! Smile
7/29/16 3:32 pm

Post another example of an attitude toward females in our local organization bonnie knox
Yesterday our church had a presentation of what the children are doing on Wednesday nights. The girls had a presentation that lasted maybe 12 minutes, then they were ushered aside and the presentation about what the boys were doing lasted about 40 minutes. I know part of it was just that the guy doing the presentation about the boys simply took too long, but the message it sent was that the boys were more important. (This imbalance of time taken is not an isolated incident. It happens every quarter when the presentation is given.)
Also, one of the women teaching one of the girls' classes said, "We know men are the leaders, but there are things girls can do, too." I wanted to cry out that those girls might become leaders as well.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/1/16 9:45 am

Post skinnybishop
bonnie knox wrote:
If you've talked to her, great! It just seemed that you were perplexed as to why it was a big deal to her. I figured if you had talked with her, you would know why she felt it was important.

Anyway, our organization as of right now does not allow women to obtain the highest level of credentialing. The reasoning behind it is expressed in sundry ways but comes down to the idea that women are supposed to be subordinate to men. That basically means that women are valued less than men, that women pastors are not equal colleagues of male pastors.

I just shake my head when I read things like you just wrote. "That basically means women are valued less"

That is simply your interpretation of the denomination's position and places words in its mouth.
8/1/16 10:07 am

Post bonnie knox
I did not write that in a vacuum. As I've mentioned before, I've been in church all my life, but in the Church of God only 14 or so years. I was actually surprised to find that the Church of God prohibited women from certain leadership positions. I've learned this since frequenting this forum. In the interactions and discussions I've had here on this forum and the debate that I've listened to from the streamed GA's, I have concluded that some indeed do see women as ontologically inferior. Those who do are the ones who have, so far, affected the vote.
No, being in a subordinate position in itself does not necessarily make someone of lesser value, but if it is an intrinsic characteristic (such as being female) that requires the person to always be in a subordinate position, it becomes part of who that person is and not a temporary function of position.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/1/16 10:16 am

Post skinnybishop
bonnie knox wrote:
I did not write that in a vacuum. As I've mentioned before, I've been in church all my life, but in the Church of God only 14 or so years. I was actually surprised to find that the Church of God prohibited women from certain leadership positions. I've learned this since frequenting this forum. In the interactions and discussions I've had here on this forum and the debate that I've listened to from the streamed GA's, I have concluded that some indeed do see women as ontologically inferior. Those who do are the ones who have, so far, affected the vote.
No, being in a subordinate position in itself does not necessarily make someone of lesser value, but if it is an intrinsic characteristic (such as being female) that requires the person to always be in a subordinate position, it becomes part of who that person is and not a temporary function of position.

Respectfully, I don't think that comment is fair either.

You are presuming to know the motivation behind the majority. I will agree, as you mentioned, there are some who simply have a bias against women. I just don't think you can say "Most who vote against women bishops vote that way because they don't see women as equal".

The point I'm trying to make is this: I think its possible to vote "no" for women bishops for reasons other than simple sexism.

Last edited by skinnybishop on 8/1/16 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts Enthusiast
8/1/16 10:38 am

Post Cojak
bonnie knox wrote:

That is well worded and makes sense.

Somehow over the years the feeling remains the same, 'Women's work' and 'Men's work'. I really do think over all there is some change of attitudes, but I will not see equity in my life time.

Men, preachers, pastors will ALWAYS appreciate the work done by women, or we would have less churches. But appreciation and acceptance are two very different situations. Embarassed
8/1/16 10:40 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic