Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

27 Top Elected Positions, 4 Earned Doctorates, But I Repeatedly Heard "Dr. Doe" All Week

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post 27 Top Elected Positions, 4 Earned Doctorates, But I Repeatedly Heard "Dr. Doe" All Week Old Time Country Preacher
Top 27 Elected COG Positions

5 Executive Committee Members
18 Executive Council Members
2 Youth Positions (Director/Assistant)
2 World Missions (Director/Assistant)

Unless the ole timer missed one, at the most, only 4 of the 27 hold a legitimate earned doctorate.

I was just wonderin why all week long I heard "Dr. Doe" an "Dr. Smith," "Dr. This" an "Dr. That."

Is "Dr" one a the three levels of COG credentials now?
Acts-pert Poster
7/22/16 7:06 pm

Post Re: 27 Top Elected Positions, 4 Earned Doctorates, But I Repeatedly Heard "Dr. Doe" All Week roughridercog
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Top 27 Elected COG Positions

5 Executive Committee Members
18 Executive Council Members
2 Youth Positions (Director/Assistant)
2 World Missions (Director/Assistant)

Unless the ole timer missed one, at the most, only 4 of the 27 hold a legitimate earned doctorate.

I was just wonderin why all week long I heard "Dr. Doe" an "Dr. Smith," "Dr. This" an "Dr. That."

Is "Dr" one a the three levels of COG credentials now?

It would make things easier. Get it to the motions committee.
7/22/16 7:15 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
The Executive Committee was all introduced as Dr.
7/22/16 8:20 pm

Post Cojak
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

'We' ministers and laymen used to be simply Brother and Sister. It was sorta like a family at church, our pastor is still called Brother.

The excessive (if it is) use of Doctor Doe stems from the time we had one or two men in the COG ministry who actually was educated to the DD level. Pastors were proud to tell folks, xyz holds a doctorate, it was so unusual in our denomination. Some for years frowned on the higher education, one was expected to graduate from the college of hard knocks using Knee-ology. Maybe when everyone gets a DD it won't stand out so much. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/22/16 8:27 pm

Post It has become de rigour brotherjames
In fact, the AG is just as bad about it. However, we may have more earned Dr's than the COG. The problem is that without an Dr. In front of your name very few churches over 500 will even consider you for the position of Lead/Sr. Pastor. When I came to my church some 15 years ago that was one of the more important qualifications the search committee was looking for. In mainline denominations it has been that way for years. As I mentioned in another post thread, I would consider a doctorate in Holy Spirit to be more important. But without a doctorate you won't get a large church in our denomination so people shortcut the process for expediency. The search committee /board often doesn't know the institution is unaccredited and everyone is happy. Ha! Acts-celerater
7/22/16 8:36 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Cojak wrote:

'We' ministers and laymen used to be simply Brother and Sister. It was sorta like a family at church, our pastor is still called Brother.

The excessive (if it is) use of Doctor Doe stems from the time we had one or two men in the COG ministry who actually was educated to the DD level. Pastors were proud to tell folks, xyz holds a doctorate, it was so unusual in our denomination. Some for years frowned on the higher education, one was expected to graduate from the college of hard knocks using Knee-ology. Maybe when everyone gets a DD it won't stand out so much. Shocked

Cojak, the DD is a honery docterate, not a earned doctorate. Now in the early 1900's the DD was a earned doctorate, but except for degree mills, the DD has been for decades a honery docterate.
Acts-pert Poster
7/22/16 8:53 pm

Post c6thplayer1
What would they all think if each of us started addressing everyone as Dr.? Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/22/16 9:21 pm

Post georgiapath
Ole Timer, you seem to be the only one that knows or cares. Laughing Laughing Laughing

You might as well let it and Soddy Daisy go, save yourself the time and energy.
Acts-dicted
7/23/16 6:43 am

georgiapath wrote:
Ole Timer, you seem to be the only one that knows or cares. Laughing Laughing Laughing

You might as well let it and Soddy Daisy go, save yourself the time and energy.

In time, just like Homer Tomlinson, the Soddy story will fade into oblivion.

But as long as the OTCP has unction to function, he will highlight the unethical use of titles.
Acts-pert Poster
7/23/16 12:08 pm

Post UncleJD
c6thplayer1 wrote:
What would they all think if each of us started addressing everyone as Dr.?

You mean as in "Hey Doc" ?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
7/23/16 1:26 pm

Post Change Agent
Worthless titles don't seem to hold anyone back in the COG. OTCP is going to need to call them out individually. They don't shame very easily. Laughing Acts Enthusiast
7/23/16 5:19 pm

Change Agent wrote:
Worthless titles don't seem to hold anyone back in the COG.

That may or may not be true; however, the issue here is one of integrity, honesty and ethics.
Acts-pert Poster
7/23/16 9:40 pm

Post Cojak
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Cojak wrote:

Cojak, the DD is a honery docterate, not a earned doctorate. Now in the early 1900's the DD was a earned doctorate, but except for degree mills, the DD has been for decades a honery docterate.

The early 1900's is my time frame of reference my friend, but thanks, this living under a rock is not educational, but I am trying. (Mama says your sure are, trying that is!) Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/23/16 11:55 pm

Post Baptist HighFive
I think it is silly and would not permit it to be used in front of my name if I had an honorary degree. But I have NEVER allowed "Reverend" in front of my name either. Just my choice. Not critical of those who do. But I will tell you one thing.....Baptist preachers abuse the "Doctor" thing more than anyone. A fact.
7/24/16 8:57 pm

Post Re: Baptist Old Time Country Preacher
HighFive wrote:
I think it is silly and would not permit it to be used in front of my name if I had an honorary degree. But I have NEVER allowed "Reverend" in front of my name either. Just my choice. Not critical of those who do. But I will tell you one thing.....Baptist preachers abuse the "Doctor" thing more than anyone. A fact.

I agree, Baptist fellers abuse it all the time. But, we gotta heap a COG fellers in the same boat.
Acts-pert Poster
7/24/16 11:25 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic