Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The General Assembly is a poor use of money
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Cojak
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Wait.........I am a rich elite? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes we all are, here in the USA.
My dad also attended every GA since early 1930's. He saved and cut corners, rented rooms, stayed in tents etc.

But ministers in many countries, with the same credentials, could save EVERY PENNY they earned for the year and might not be able to afford a plane ticket and one nite in a hotel/motel in Nashville.

I am sure you get the point by AM whether you agree with the post/comments or not. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/30/16 11:40 am

Post GA a waste of money? 4thgeneration
Only if you subtract out the connection to the greater church family from across the nation and around the world. For me walking into the arena, sitting among the General Council members, meeting COG folks, and connecting with my church adds great value to my experience.

Only if you subtract out the opportunity to come together as a worshiping body. With the average size church being 80-100, the opportunity to worship with a few thousand fellow COG believers is a gift and blessing! This one element of the GA has been a rich experience for me growing up COG and attending many Assemblies.

Only if you subtract out the ability to have a voice and a vote. As a teen I participated as a registered delegate in the voting of the General Assembly session. I can't even explain the feeling of being part of a denomination that gave me a voice and a vote. I have rarely stood at a microphone to speak, but when I have, I was given my moment to share my thoughts to the issue. And I have punched cards, pushed buttons, yelled a response, and stood to voice my vote, thankful that my church allows me a voice and a vote.

Only if you subtract the ability to choose our leaders. I am always amused at how much "we" complain about our leaders, that we have selected! I am even more amused by people who want to ridicule a system they don't participate in. If you want to affect the future, show up and vote. Others sacrifice, save, and spend their vacation time for the privilege of participating in their church. It is a far sight better than just sitting back crying out, "the sky is falling!"

Only if you subtract the ability to hear from the heart of our leaders. No one leader or team can accomplish everything they want, or we want. And you can fill the panel up with "think younger" faces and it will be the same. We somehow think a different name/face will bring a shake-up that revolutionizes everything about the church, making the church the kind of church we want the church to be. But our Minutes limit power, our structure affects the speed of change, and our size prevents sudden and drastic moves without capsizing the ship. However, I have been encouraged, challenged, convicted, and confirmed by heartfelt, anointed words shared by our leaders into the church. That is beyond valuable to me.

If the only value to a GA is an agenda filled with the perfect number of the exact things you want to see happen, the changes you want to see made, and the theological stances you want to see embraced, it will always be a waste of money. If there is no value for you in the together, the connection, the worship, and the spirit of this gathering it will always be a waste of money. And if your mind is clouded with conspiracy theories that bring into question the sincerity, honesty, integrity, and out right Christianity of leaders past, present and future, it will always be a waste of money.

But for this 4th generation COG guy, there is great value in this gathering of my church!

Just my O!
Acts Enthusiast
6/30/16 3:09 pm

Post diakoneo
If somethings were really accomplished I would say it was not a waste of time and money.

The only good thing that has come out of the GA in recent years has been the reduction of tithe of tithe. Some would like to repeal that.

Where is the true transparency? If there was going to be a vote for a REAL itemized look at the financials, I would be there. Don't see it happening.

Turning over of deeds to local churches. Not gonna happen.

Real lists of responsibilities for State administrative bishops. Nope

Just same old same old

*yawn*
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/30/16 3:30 pm

Post Re: Im saying georgiapath
aprilmay2.0 wrote:
There is less time for discussion because (a) there are less days to discuss, (b) there is now going to be a speaker at the beginning of the sessions doing leadership training that eats into the discussion time.

Can you in good conscience say the EC does not construct the agenda to fit their desires and concerns?

Can you in good conscience say the EC has no influence on the motions committee?

Can you in good conscience say there is not an intentional agenda set forth to keep more pressing real life issues from surfacing?

Here's some more conspiracy for you-

Its undeniable that the EC wants to keep the power in the southeast US. We ALL know this whole thing could be done via the internet but that would open things up to the whole world and our new PB would be from Indonesia. So in an effort to keep the control where the dollars are, no internet and no internationally convenient sites.

Look at where the GA is hosted. SOUTHEAST for the last several years and this year its in Nashville? The cosmopolitan international hub of Nashville? (insert sarcasm)

Why not Los Angeles or Washington DC or even Atlanta? because Nashville requires a little bit extra travel which means a little bit extra money and that puts it involvement just a little bit more out of reach.

Imagine if the GA was hosted in Manilla. Imagine Pastor so and so having to get a passport and find a hotel and navigate the traffic. He would be hopelessly lost to the point he wouldn't attend just like many internationals feel now. Not to mention the price. HQ would be inundated with calls about the cost of the GA in Manilla. And- most everyone in Manilla speaks english!! From a global perspective, with the weak european dollar, Germany or France would be cheaper than Nashville. But that can't happen. Why? because people lose jobs if this big belly, hair bun party is hosted anywhere outside the grits and sweet tea zone.

Lets be honest- this whole thing could be streamlined to be more effective, less expensive and more inclusive, but that costs people jobs.

I better quit now, i feel the old aprilmay surfacing which means i need to go pray.

You may have hit the nail on the head. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Acts-dicted
6/30/16 7:58 pm

Post JimmieDavis
Leadership changes things period. The right leaders who have no political fears and spiritual courage will turn this around. I don't care if we think younger. Think older. Think together. Whatever we think let it be different than the same old shmah we are always thinking. Friendly Face
6/30/16 10:21 pm

Post this post ... uthdude2000
Is sooo spot-on!

AprilMay 2.0 I know you don't need my approval nor are you asking for it, however; you hit the nail right on the head! And it was with a sledgehammer right through the depths of CoGHQ and they know it.

My guess is...so does the rest of the posters on this board BUT may be afraid to admit it.

Thanks for having the nerve to call it just like you see it
7/1/16 7:59 pm

Post Re: GA a waste of money? Cojak
4thgeneration wrote:

But for this 4th generation COG guy, there is great value in this gathering of my church!

Just my O!

I agree with the whole comment here by 4th, and I felt the same way when I was a REAL COG Preacher. The camaraderie was SWEET, but my reading the last few years and seeing the individual 'costs' of attending, I know I could not, if I were pastoring the same churches I did. I could never as a pastor have afforded $125 a night much less $200+. I will never believe it is worth $200 a night for a bed.

Just me, I am cheap!

Anywaythere is a lot of truth to the post. An Assembly at a ,non-destination place would be less expensive to the pastors of small churches.

I may be completely off base and out of touch. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/2/16 1:04 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic