Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Remember When Flannel Graph Boards was Cuttin Edge?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Remember When Flannel Graph Boards was Cuttin Edge? Old Time Country Preacher
Remember when the teachers would take a picture an place it on the flannel board to illustrate some biblical story/principle? Yep, the PowerPoint of its generation, em flannel graph boards was cutting edge fer a while.

What other stuff can ya think of what used to be cutting edge, but has run its course, an now only brings a smile?
Acts-pert Poster
6/29/16 11:51 am

Post Eddie Robbins
The big speaker outside the church for the community to hear what was going on. Acts-pert Poster
6/29/16 12:14 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Putting a tent up to draw a crowd.
6/29/16 12:38 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
How bout some a that "tag-team preachin?" I remember some revivals where 2 or 3 preachers would git like 10 or 15 minutes each to preach, one would foller the other till the last one was done. Then it was on durin the altar service. Acts-pert Poster
6/29/16 4:08 pm

Post flannel graph gave way to new technology - Mark Ledbetter
Overhead Projectors!!!
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
6/29/16 4:16 pm

Post c6thplayer1
We had a copy machine that had a big drum which the paper rolled around and spewed some kind of ammonia smelling stuff from the barrel below. What ever this contraption was called it did make copies that were light blue in color. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/29/16 4:34 pm

Post Re: flannel graph gave way to new technology - Old Time Country Preacher
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
Overhead Projectors!!!

Now wait a minute, don't go meddlin with ma overhead projector. Momma still loves to change the clear pieces a paper that shows the lyrics to "I'll Fly Away."
Acts-pert Poster
6/29/16 4:40 pm

Post bonnie knox
I think I would still enjoy a flannel graph. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/29/16 8:53 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
bonnie knox wrote:
I think I would still enjoy a flannel graph.

http://www.ouroutofsynclife.com/2010/04/using-flannelgraph-even-on-tight-budget.html

Acts-pert Poster
6/29/16 10:14 pm

Post Cojak
I have news for you, The flannel graphs were dropped because some one said, "It has out lived it's usefulness."

The Flannel graph would still be relevant up to 8 years old. Kids NEED to use their imagination, the flannel graph allows that. I went with my GGrand daughter to a park this evening. She was memorized by a man and his son playing 'shoe'. The boy was using a folded umbrella for a bat the dad was throwing a flip flop. Everyone loved it. The park had the most modern toys, swings, balance walks, climbing wall and a fort. But the majority was interested in the two playing 'shoe'.

But for sure, it has gone the way of the dinosaur.

To the OP, I will add one:
The Chalk artist.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/29/16 10:59 pm

Post bonnie knox
Ole Timer, I want to WATCH the story, not TELL the story. Thanks for the tip, though.

Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
I think I would still enjoy a flannel graph.

http://www.ouroutofsynclife.com/2010/04/using-flannelgraph-even-on-tight-budget.html

[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/30/16 8:24 am

Post bonnie knox
Cojak, I couldn't agree more that kids need to use their imagination.
Apparently you have a knack for holding their attention. I have noticed that the more kids are exposed to lots of TV and lots of hard-driving music, it seems the shorter their attention span. The electronic over-stimulation seems to stymie the natural creativity kids have.
The reaction of some church programs is to match that electronic over-stimulation to keep the kids engaged.
JMO.

Cojak wrote:
I have news for you, The flannel graphs were dropped because some one said, "It has out lived it's usefulness."

The Flannel graph would still be relevant up to 8 years old. Kids NEED to use their imagination, the flannel graph allows that. I went with my GGrand daughter to a park this evening. She was memorized by a man and his son playing 'shoe'. The boy was using a folded umbrella for a bat the dad was throwing a flip flop. Everyone loved it. The park had the most modern toys, swings, balance walks, climbing wall and a fort. But the majority was interested in the two playing 'shoe'.

But for sure, it has gone the way of the dinosaur.

To the OP, I will add one:
The Chalk artist.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/30/16 8:31 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic