Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Next Time a Preacher References Hisself as "Dr," Why Not Ask Em the Source?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Next Time a Preacher References Hisself as "Dr," Why Not Ask Em the Source? Old Time Country Preacher
Yea, if a feller has a real doctorate, hey, he ought no be shamed of it an all. So, next time ya see on a business card, church sign, church website, church letterhead, etc. an all, just in a real polite manner, say something like "hey, I noticed ya have a docterate. Ats wonderful, where did ya earn ya docterate?" An be shore to 100% a the time ask em, "What was the topic of your dissertation?"

Hey, an them that aint real, they gonna git real sheepish like an commence him-hawin around.
Acts-pert Poster
6/28/16 3:42 pm

Post c6thplayer1
I plan on doing so. I already have two targeted for this. I'm glad you included the dissertation clause. I also want to know the length of the dissertation.

But I was wondering by asking this question, would I be responsible for any additional falsehoods tied to their degree?

Cool
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/28/16 4:16 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
c6thplayer1 wrote:
I plan on doing so. I already have two targeted for this. I'm glad you included the dissertation clause. I also want to know the length of the dissertation.

But I was wondering by asking this question, would I be responsible for any additional falsehoods tied to their degree?

Cool

Only way you gonna be responsible for falsehoods, C, is to keep callin "Dr" what aint a "Dr."
Acts-pert Poster
6/28/16 5:04 pm

Post ZKP
I was going to be a Dr...but I ran out of patience. Member
6/28/16 5:24 pm

Post Cojak
ZKP wrote:
I was going to be a Dr...but I ran out of patience.

good one! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/29/16 12:00 am

Post Cojak
Being old, a HS dropout and a has been preacher, I really don't care where the DD comes from. If it is obvious the man is educated, I will accept him at his word.

Mind you, I know a Dr, who is not legit, and it is obvious cause he cannot put a logical sentence together and thinks ain't is proper Kentucky English.

But really, if a man is ignorant, and tacks a DD on his name, no matter what I say, he will still believe he is a DD! (the danged paper/sheepskin says so!) Shocked

Last edited by Cojak on 6/29/16 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/29/16 12:05 am

ZKP wrote:
I was going to be a Dr...but I ran out of patience.

Laughing
Acts-pert Poster
6/29/16 12:06 am

Post Do you know what they call a doctor brotherjames
who finishes last in his class?

Dr.

Who cares?
Acts-celerater
6/29/16 9:06 am

Post Re: Next Time a Preacher References Hisself as "Dr," Why Not Ask Em the Source? LonghornFan
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Yea, if a feller has a real doctorate, hey, he ought no be shamed of it an all. So, next time ya see on a business card, church sign, church website, church letterhead, etc. an all, just in a real polite manner, say something like "hey, I noticed ya have a docterate. Ats wonderful, where did ya earn ya docterate?" An be shore to 100% a the time ask em, "What was the topic of your dissertation?"

Hey, an them that aint real, they gonna git real sheepish like an commence him-hawin around.

Nope. I don't really care. I figure that fellow is going to have to own up to his own actions. I am not impressed by what initials a man puts after his name, if any. It just isn't an issue with me.
Friendly Face
6/29/16 10:34 am

The horselaughable thing bout it is that them what say they don't care, it don't matter, it aint a issue......................... if it was THEIR dentist, or THEIR neurologist, or THEIR cardiologist, they would git to carin real quick. But no, its just a preacher who is representing the living God, so it don't matter if he is unethical an lackin in integrity.

Believe the ole timer, brethren, it matters..............
Acts-pert Poster
6/29/16 11:25 am

Post J David Smith
I did have a dentist one time that made me question his accreditation! Smile Friendly Face
6/29/16 11:51 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Lets face it old timer.

Some of those guys with the "easy" doctorates think everyone worked as hard for theirs as they did.

A couple of papers, 595 dollars, and they are a Dr.
They think the rest of you did the same thing.
6/29/16 12:36 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Having an accredited, earned doctorate (which I do respect) demonstrates that one has a good degree of intelligence and perseverance in a specialized area of study. Such a one's ideas in that particular area of specialty do indeed deserve appropriate respect. That said, earning a PhD, ThD, EdD or DMin in no way confers infallibility. It seems to me that many of us common folk mistakenly think a person with an earned, accredited doctorate is to be regarded as a virtually unquestionable authority. "He has an earned doctorate; he obviously must be right about this."

The unfortunate fact that some are willing to gain such perceived authority by unscrupulous (unaccredited) means both underscores and at the same time degrades its perceived value.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/29/16 1:11 pm

Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Having an accredited, earned doctorate (which I do respect) demonstrates that one has a good degree of intelligence and perseverance in a specialized area of study. Such a one's ideas in that particular area of specialty do indeed deserve appropriate respect. That said, earning a PhD, ThD, EdD or DMin in no way confers infallibility. It seems to me that many of us common folk mistakenly think a person with an earned, accredited doctorate is to be regarded as a virtually unquestionable authority. "He has an earned doctorate; he obviously must be right about this."

The unfortunate fact that some are willing to gain such perceived authority by unscrupulous (unaccredited) means both underscores and at the same time degrades its perceived value.

I respect your post, Wyatt, cause, although I don't know you personally, I respect you.

Never have I perceived those with earned docterates as infallible or "know-it-alls." I have known several with earned docterates who never once came across as being the "unquestionable authority" on an issue. One of the traits of the truly educated is that the more one learns, the more one realizes one does not know. Therefore, life becomes a continuum in terms of learning, whether formal or self-taught via informal means.

All that said, the latter part of your post is spot on. Those willing to resort to unscrupulous means (i.e., unaccredited/millish) to obtain a particular credential are acting shamefully unethical. Nowhere is this more evident than among ministers of the Gospel. Of all vocations/callings, there should be no hint of unethical behavior in this regard.
Acts-pert Poster
6/29/16 3:08 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I did not say or even remotely imply that folk with earned doctorates necessarily think they are know-it-alls. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/29/16 4:34 pm

Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I did not say or even remotely imply that folk with earned doctorates necessarily think they are know-it-alls.

My apologies if I implied ya did, Wyatt. I was tryin to address the perception more than ya post.
Acts-pert Poster
6/29/16 4:43 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic