Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Chairman of Lee Board Gary Sharp has passed

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Chairman of Lee Board Gary Sharp has passed Nature Boy Florida
Gary loved Lee University.

(The following is my recollection of Gary's life story he told me one evening...)

He and his wife got degrees in teaching from Lee and got teaching jobs upon graduation.

But to supplement their income, they worked at the local Shoney's at night.

Gary could see plenty of improvements to make - and in a short time he was managing that Shoney's franchise.

He apparently had lots of good ideas - and that part time job turned into managing 200+ Shoney's restaurants.

Remember the Breakfast bar when it started at Shoney's? Gary's idea.

Remember when you loved Shoney's? Gary was running them.

He sold his stake I'm them at their peak - and stayed on as a consultant - but they didn't listen to his ideas - so he moved on. And you all know where Shoney's is today.

Anyway, he used a lot of that profit for philanthropy - and LEE University was a constant beneficiary.

I am very sad to hear he has passed - but his legacy will live on.

Well done, Gary!

Last edited by Nature Boy Florida on 6/30/16 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-pert Poster
6/29/16 7:39 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
God's grace and peace to the Sharp family.

Yep, long as they is a hot fudge cake or strawberry pie, Gary's Shoney's legacy will live on.
Acts-pert Poster
6/29/16 11:40 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Not sure about that Old Timer - but his donations to Lee - based on all those hot fudge cakes you bought while he owned them - will live on.
6/29/16 12:33 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
his donations to Lee - based on all those hot fudge cakes you bought while he owned them - will live on.

Ya think I didn't know that, NB? Son, ats one reason me an momma bought so many of em. Mr. Green
Acts-pert Poster
6/29/16 4:02 pm

Post Truman Here M Truman Smith
to whomever has the answer to this question Please answer . I have been a long time friend of the Sharp Family . We Pastored on the same district In Middle Tennessee, Joseph Sharp and I . Roland and I became ordained the same year , Gary and I were personal friends . The question is "what is known about how he died "? I have not been in touch with the family for years . And I would like to know how he died . I think they listed his home was in Franklin and I would like to know how and why he ended up there ?? Thanks for replying if you can help me . God Bless . T

I edit my spelling and add some punctuations . God Bless
Hey, DOC
7/6/16 10:29 am

Post Gary's Death mytwocents
According to someone who served on the BOD with Gary he has been battling cancer the past few months.. Not sure where it started but apparently it was in and around his liver. He actually died in the ambulance en route to a Hospice House near his home.

Gary and his wife had been living in Cleveland the past few years and he was deeply involved with the University. The moved above Nashville about a year ago to be closer to their kids.
Acts-celerater
7/6/16 3:37 pm

Post Re: Gary's Death M Truman Smith
mytwocents wrote:
According to someone who served on the BOD with Gary he has been battling cancer the past few months.. Not sure where it started but apparently it was in and around his liver. He actually died in the ambulance en route to a Hospice House near his home.

Gary and his wife had been living in Cleveland the past few years and he was deeply involved with the University. The moved above Nashville about a year ago to be closer to their kids.

Thanks my friend I was deeply saddened by Gary's death .He was such a nice MAN and certainly a Christian Gentleman . I am praying for his family .
Hey, DOC
7/6/16 5:18 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic