Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Fee to attend the General Assembly
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Methocostal
Ooh! that is bad Smile

philunderwood wrote:
We are a penteCOSTal group.
Friendly Face
6/24/16 8:12 am

Post Re: Wow bonnie knox
Methoscostal, if you want to use cutting edge lingo, just say, "Wut?"

I've said that a few times with things I've learned about the church of God since I've been participating on this forum.
The cost for renovating headquarters--Wut?
The fact that ministers voted to give them a bigger budget than they requested for the renovations--Wut Wut??
That women can pastor but can't receive the highest level of credentialing--Wut?
That there is a admission fee to the general assembly--Wut?
That so many pastors get out of sorts when posting on the internet--Wut?

Yes, I was surprised that there is an admission fee to the General Assembly.
Any member can vote in the General Assembly. (I don't remember if there is a minimum age requirement.) The business that comes to the General Assembly is what has been passed by the ordained bishops (highest level of ministerial credentialing in the COG, no girls allowed) who voted earlier in the week in what is called the General Council.

Methocostal wrote:
Do they really charge to attend? I am dumbfounded. What is next, Jewish style dues to be a member?

I'm not familiar with COG assemblies, but are they open for regular members or ordained ministers only?

In the COGOP (at least 30 years ago), anyone could attend and vote (if a member). Do they charge now also?

Financially, I can understand, though I would have thought free will offerings could have handled it, but morally, particularly if regular members can attend, it doesn't seem right that a family of 4 could pay $500 just for required admission costs. That just blows my mind.

Fortunately, it doesn't affect me, but I am just astounded. Do Churches charge a fee to attend? I realize legalistic views on tithing essentially amounts to a fee to be a member, but a fee to attend a Church business event just blows my mind.

Maybe the COG Assembly is different, but the COGOP assembly was far more than just business decisions, but involved a lot of inspiring messages, etc. A fee for a religious service?

What is next? Fees for prayer? How far is this from the Catholic methods? The COG has managed to move to a Catholic style charge for candles in barely 100 years? I assume it took much longer than that for the Catholics to institute charges.

Is someone just pulling my leg here?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/24/16 8:44 am

Post Re: Wow Methocostal
Wut are you saying, I'm an old coot Smile

bonnie knox wrote:
Methoscostal, if you want to use cutting edge lingo, just say, "Wut?"

I've said that a few times with things I've learned about the church of God since I've been participating on this forum.
The cost for renovating headquarters--Wut?
The fact that ministers voted to give them a bigger budget than they requested for the renovations--Wut Wut??
That women can pastor but can't receive the highest level of credentialing--Wut?
That there is a admission fee to the general assembly--Wut?
That so many pastors get out of sorts when posting on the internet--Wut?

Yes, I was surprised that there is an admission fee to the General Assembly.
Any member can vote in the General Assembly. (I don't remember if there is a minimum age requirement.) The business that comes to the General Assembly is what has been passed by the ordained bishops (highest level of ministerial credentialing in the COG, no girls allowed) who voted earlier in the week in what is called the General Council.

Methocostal wrote:
Do they really charge to attend? I am dumbfounded. What is next, Jewish style dues to be a member?

I'm not familiar with COG assemblies, but are they open for regular members or ordained ministers only?

In the COGOP (at least 30 years ago), anyone could attend and vote (if a member). Do they charge now also?

Financially, I can understand, though I would have thought free will offerings could have handled it, but morally, particularly if regular members can attend, it doesn't seem right that a family of 4 could pay $500 just for required admission costs. That just blows my mind.

Fortunately, it doesn't affect me, but I am just astounded. Do Churches charge a fee to attend? I realize legalistic views on tithing essentially amounts to a fee to be a member, but a fee to attend a Church business event just blows my mind.

Maybe the COG Assembly is different, but the COGOP assembly was far more than just business decisions, but involved a lot of inspiring messages, etc. A fee for a religious service?

What is next? Fees for prayer? How far is this from the Catholic methods? The COG has managed to move to a Catholic style charge for candles in barely 100 years? I assume it took much longer than that for the Catholics to institute charges.

Is someone just pulling my leg here?
Friendly Face
6/24/16 10:43 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Unless I am mistaken, the 'charge' is if one wants to register and therefore be able to participate in the business meetings and vote in the General Assembly. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/24/16 11:08 am

Post diakoneo
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Unless I am mistaken, the 'charge' is if one wants to register and therefore be able to participate in the business meetings and vote in the General Assembly.

Yes, right. But the problem is you must pay to be able to vote...a lot more than a 1/2 shekel Laughing

A bekah for every man, that is, half a shekel, after the shekel of the sanctuary, for every one that went to be numbered, from twenty years old and upward, for six hundred thousand and three thousand and five hundred and fifty men.

Admission to the services is free. I think they receive an offering though.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/24/16 1:30 pm

Post No fee to attend 4thgeneration
You can attend the GA free of any fee. You can sit in on the General Council sessions as an observer, attend the worship services, go to the free World Missions Concert, walk through the exhibit area, plus more. The fee is to be a registered delegate. That allows an Ordained Bishop to participate as a voting delegate in the General Council sessions, and allows any member 16+ to participate as a voting delegate in the General Assembly business session. Acts Enthusiast
6/25/16 9:03 am

Post Astonished and disgusted churchsinger
I am really astonished that someone would question the charge for being registered for the GA. I think it is a very reasonable charge. I've seen people pay Hundreds of dollars to attend seminars and conferences and never bat an eye. But they want to "murmur and complain" about paying into their own denomination to help defray (in a tiny way) some expenses. I am disgusted with preachers who want everything GIVEN to them without being willing to give themselves. Friendly Face
6/25/16 9:50 am

Post Re: Astonished and disgusted Cojak
churchsinger wrote:
I am really astonished that someone would question the charge for being registered for the GA. I think it is a very reasonable charge. I've seen people pay Hundreds of dollars to attend seminars and conferences and never bat an eye. But they want to "murmur and complain" about paying into their own denomination to help defray (in a tiny way) some expenses. I am disgusted with preachers who want everything GIVEN to them without being willing to give themselves.

That is pretty hard on a pastor who has saved, and the church has worked to raise enough to send him on a shoe string to attend the GA. Some sleep in their cars or YMCA and eat mostly at McD's.

I think you are talking about a small # of men who want everything GIVEN to them. I do not doubt they exist, but my experience is men who pastor the 25-75 member/attendance churches do not ask for hand outs, they GIVE! Of course that is JMO Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/25/16 5:06 pm

Post philunderwood
Just admit it, the idea of a General Assembly (the convening of a large proportion of the membership of a body or a representative slice of that body) is no longer viable for even this small movement/denomination.

The "assembly" has mostly missed the debates, is a VERY SMALL representation of membership and generally is geographically proximate and skewed against a wide sample of members.

Even the precursor to the membership 'vote,' the ordained ministers council, is skewed away from the overall mix of ministers, and again is geographically prejudiced.

We need to quit pretending this governmental system is really what it says it is.

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
6/25/16 9:38 pm

Post Re: Fee to attend the General Assembly Dean Steenburgh
ChildOftheKing wrote:
I've often wondered why the crowds at the General Assembly have dwindled over the years. The venues for these gatherings have run the gamut. From downtown Dallas where crowds were well over 25,000 to this year's event in Nashville which holds a fraction of what used to be needed. Could it be the cost of $129 to attend this year's spectical? I'm beginning to understand now why the crowds have gotten smaller and smaller. How can the COG charge that kind of price? Are the Eagles reuniting for the praise and worship?

Quick response: attendance is way down due to Teen Talent not being there. Mix in the thousands of teens & their friends & the moms & dads who came to see little Johnny play his flute on the big stage & you have a possible answer.

At the last 3 GA's the first day of business is packed & busy while they elect their favorite EC star but as soon as the fireworks start to dwindle they're out playing golf or at DisneyWorld.

Facts are, it's not taken as seriously as it should be ...period!

As some have said I can testify that in all of the GA's I've attended going back almost 40 years I've never seen anywhere close to 25,000 in attendance. My dad says that back in the Kansas City & Dallas days for the GA that they were reporting record numbers of delegates who had registered & that number was close to 25,000.

Maybe we should re-create a GA atmosphere that is less toxic & more focused on putting in to place tools to help the local pastor & volunteer leadership?
Multiple things come to my mind about interesting 'How To' workshops.

Our biggest focus & highest O.B. attendance on the General Council floor will be who to elect to the highest offices & each vote will begin to grow substantially smaller as the sessions drag on through the week.

Sorry! Same ole same ole!

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
6/25/16 9:57 pm

Post georgiapath
Kind of like Washington, a big joke. Acts-dicted
6/27/16 7:47 am

Post Methocostal
Is that a close cousin to a paying at confession? Goodness, I think your take on it is almost worse than I originally thought. (I know it wasn't your idea). That just does not seem right. If I were COG, I would be out of my mind.

A COGOP friend told me they do not charge to attend the Assembly.

Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Unless I am mistaken, the 'charge' is if one wants to register and therefore be able to participate in the business meetings and vote in the General Assembly.
Friendly Face
6/27/16 12:16 pm

Post Re: Astonished and disgusted Methocostal
I totally agree. Goodness, this is not a "seminar", it is a vote on Church doctrine. I'm sorry, as a non member, I shouldn't express my opinion as it is obviously not my business. You better believe I would pay my penance and be there to voice my objection if I were a member!

The COGOP is smaller than the COG (therefore it is likely they have a higher percentage administrative financial burden than the COG), yet they aren't charging a fee. I have no idea if the offerings at the Assembly cover the costs, but if it doesn't and they can absorb it, why can't the COG's.

This sounds like a method to disenfranchise certain people from voting.

Again, I shouldn't put my two cents in this pot, but I am just shocked.

Cojak wrote:
churchsinger wrote:
I am really astonished that someone would question the charge for being registered for the GA. I think it is a very reasonable charge. I've seen people pay Hundreds of dollars to attend seminars and conferences and never bat an eye. But they want to "murmur and complain" about paying into their own denomination to help defray (in a tiny way) some expenses. I am disgusted with preachers who want everything GIVEN to them without being willing to give themselves.

That is pretty hard on a pastor who has saved, and the church has worked to raise enough to send him on a shoe string to attend the GA. Some sleep in their cars or YMCA and eat mostly at McD's.

I think you are talking about a small # of men who want everything GIVEN to them. I do not doubt they exist, but my experience is men who pastor the 25-75 member/attendance churches do not ask for hand outs, they GIVE! Of course that is JMO Embarassed
Friendly Face
6/27/16 12:22 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I'm sorry, as a non member, I shouldn't express my opinion as it is obviously not my business.

Sometimes, an outside view can be valuable in that it offers a fresh or objective opinion.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/27/16 2:56 pm

Post Cojak
philunderwood wrote:
Just admit it, the idea of a General Assembly (the convening of a large proportion of the membership of a body or a representative slice of that body) is no longer viable for even this small movement/denomination.

The "assembly" has mostly missed the debates, is a VERY SMALL representation of membership and generally is geographically proximate and skewed against a wide sample of members.

Even the precursor to the membership 'vote,' the ordained ministers council, is skewed away from the overall mix of ministers, and again is geographically prejudiced.

We need to quit pretending this governmental system is really what it says it is.

This is 'REAL' Phil. Very well laid out. I like it. The Internet or Active way seems the only way it can be a General Assembly.

However there is still a problem with the members and the last night when the members or General Assembly can speak to an issue! Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/27/16 8:56 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
The CoG does not charge anyone to attend the General Assembly, either. Paid registration is required only of those who wish to participate in the business meetings and vote. I have no idea how long this has been the case, nor when it originated. Perhaps others here could clarify that question.

Why would such a requirement make you go out of your mind?

Methocostal wrote:
Is that a close cousin to a paying at confession? Goodness, I think your take on it is almost worse than I originally thought. (I know it wasn't your idea). That just does not seem right. If I were COG, I would be out of my mind.

Quiet Wyatt wrote:
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/28/16 1:25 am

Post Some complain.... spartanfan
some people complain about almost anything around church involving money. They don't complain too much about buffet restaurants and satellite tv too much though, I've noticed. Just an observation. Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
6/28/16 8:27 am

Post Methocostal
Good point and my rant should be on paying to vote rather than paying to attend. For some reason, I thought it was initially mentioned that people were charged for attendance, but that is beside the point since you have noted they are free to attend.

Didn't Jesus throw people out of the temple for conducting business? I realize that isn't the best comparison because I think those folks were doing it for personal gain, rather than the business of the Church. Nevertheless, I cannot imagine Jesus would condone charging people for the right to vote.

Another comparison that isn't the best either, but the principal is similar and that is when there was a Poll Tax in the US in order to vote. Doesn't charging to vote amount to a "poll tax", regardless of what one calls it.

The best question, however, is What Would Jesus Do? In my wildest imagination, I cannot conceive that he would require people to pay in order to vote.

When the vast majority of congregations are surely well under 100, how in the world can pastors, in particular, afford that? Even more so for those from foreign countries. I realize it has always been a problem for those from distant areas to attend and pay the cost of accomodations, but why should the Church impose additional burdens?

My father attended the COGOP assembly and had to eat saltines because he couldn't afford to eat and he was close enough that he didn't have airline charges and he slept in his car. While most pastors, even those of 50 member congregations probably aren't that poor, but the cost seems unethical given the economic status of most pastors, and many of the membership also for that matter. Free will offerings, I understand, but then they can give what God leads them to give, not a set fee, that is not minimal to the typical pastor.

I'm a CPA, I know it costs to rent Assembly facilities, etc. But, to charge a set fee (any fee) is surely not the way to go. It is a matter of priorities. HQ can decide where those priorities are, and surely defraying part of the cost of the assembly (if offerings are not adequate) should be one of them.

Perhaps a wiser alternative would be conduct business via streaming and online voting. That could be done. Passwords could be given to the membership and voting conducted accordingly. I realize that isn't ideal and certainly some people and regions of the world do not have access. Frankly, if members can't afford internet, they can't afford to travel either. But, in many cases, internet could be provided at the Church.

That would not preclude a physical Assembly where people can come if they choose, but the voting process IS of paramount importance. The technical issues of voting remotely can easily be handled. Charging to vote should never be an option. It isn't a perfect world and it isn't possible to allow every single member to vote remotely as I mentioned earlier. But, far more could be done without making unreasonable barriers.

To answer your question, why would it make me go out of my mind? (1) WWJD and (2) What about those that can't afford it.

Quiet Wyatt wrote:
The CoG does not charge anyone to attend the General Assembly, either. Paid registration is required only of those who wish to participate in the business meetings and vote. I have no idea how long this has been the case, nor when it originated. Perhaps others here could clarify that question.

Why would such a requirement make you go out of your mind?

Methocostal wrote:

Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Friendly Face
6/29/16 2:36 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic