Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Degree Mill of the Week: Clarksville School of Theology (L)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post LonghornFan
Da Sheik wrote:
I'm sure it happens in other circles but I find this all the more common in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches. I pastor quite a few African-Americans (I'm biracial myself ) and they love to bring me fliers from area ministers claiming "Apostle, Prophet, Bishop, and Dr" coming to town to hold meetings.

FYI, Just about every single one of the schools that OTCP listed have Baptist affiliation.
Friendly Face
6/17/16 8:32 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
LonghornFan wrote:

FYI, Just about every single one of the schools that OTCP listed have Baptist affiliation.

True, but I'm not shore what difference at makes. They just happen to be many more Baptist schools than Pennycostal/Charismatic schools.

Many many Pennycostal/Charismatic folk git degrees from schools that aint Pennycostal/Charismatic.
Acts-pert Poster
6/17/16 8:44 pm

Post I'll Tell You What is Just as Bad IMHO FG Minister
When denominational schools give honorary doctorates to newly elected general officials and then they actually use the title! This is just as unethical IMHO. It is also an affront to those of us who earned our doctorates through hard work and a lot of time and money. Acts-celerater
6/21/16 8:05 am

Post huh? wayne
Methocostal wrote:
Reminds me of a pet peeve of mine when people refer to their "accountant" with H & R Block as their "CPA". Once, I spoke to a group of ministers in Miami and one of the older men commented that having my CPA was about as good a being a Notary Smile I don't think he was being mean, just extremely ignorant. I worked very hard for my professional accounting certifications (CPE, CFE) and it is very upsetting for people to associate what could even be people without an Accounting degree as the same as a CPA is extremely upsetting. I have another certification (CICA) that was awarded on a "grandfather" clause based upon my degrees and experience. I am even relunctant to refer to that certification as I didn't have to take a professional written exam for it. Even though I know that initial MD's, Attorneys, and CPA's were "grandfathered" in based on similar criteria.

I fully understand legitimately "earned" PhD's being upset with the degree mill variety. People will also brag about "honorary" PhD's as well. While honorary PhD's from legitimate Universities are impressive, they still do not equate to those that sat through at least 1 year of post graduate academic classes, oral defense, and at least another year on a dissertation.

Sadly, some of those purchased PhD holders think theirs is somehow legit.

Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
A CoG pastor, whom I dearly love to this day, once tried to convince me to obtain a 'degree' from the same unaccredited seminary he got his from. He acted offended when I told him I really wasn't interested, but thanks anyway. Why anybody would ever waste a penny on such garbage is beyond telling.

You exemplified great wisdom and integrity, Wyatt, in refusing to go the unaccredited/milled route. It is an absolute shame when COG preachers (or anyone for that matter) opt for an unaccredited/milled "degree." Your careful use of the phrase "obtain a degree" instead of "earn a degree" is spot on.

We actually have a CPA firm that represents our church - does that make us better than those who use the unaccredited H&R block?
Acts Enthusiast
6/21/16 8:37 am

Post Re: huh? Old Time Country Preacher
wayne wrote:
Methocostal wrote:
Reminds me of a pet peeve of mine when people refer to their "accountant" with H & R Block as their "CPA". Once, I spoke to a group of ministers in Miami and one of the older men commented that having my CPA was about as good a being a Notary Smile I don't think he was being mean, just extremely ignorant. I worked very hard for my professional accounting certifications (CPE, CFE) and it is very upsetting for people to associate what could even be people without an Accounting degree as the same as a CPA is extremely upsetting. I have another certification (CICA) that was awarded on a "grandfather" clause based upon my degrees and experience. I am even relunctant to refer to that certification as I didn't have to take a professional written exam for it. Even though I know that initial MD's, Attorneys, and CPA's were "grandfathered" in based on similar criteria.

I fully understand legitimately "earned" PhD's being upset with the degree mill variety. People will also brag about "honorary" PhD's as well. While honorary PhD's from legitimate Universities are impressive, they still do not equate to those that sat through at least 1 year of post graduate academic classes, oral defense, and at least another year on a dissertation.

Sadly, some of those purchased PhD holders think theirs is somehow legit.

Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
A CoG pastor, whom I dearly love to this day, once tried to convince me to obtain a 'degree' from the same unaccredited seminary he got his from. He acted offended when I told him I really wasn't interested, but thanks anyway. Why anybody would ever waste a penny on such garbage is beyond telling.

You exemplified great wisdom and integrity, Wyatt, in refusing to go the unaccredited/milled route. It is an absolute shame when COG preachers (or anyone for that matter) opt for an unaccredited/milled "degree." Your careful use of the phrase "obtain a degree" instead of "earn a degree" is spot on.

We actually have a CPA firm that represents our church - does that make us better than those who use the unaccredited H&R block?

Apples and oranges, the two do not equate.
Acts-pert Poster
6/21/16 10:45 am

Post Re: I'll Tell You What is Just as Bad IMHO Old Time Country Preacher
FG Minister wrote:
When denominational schools give honorary doctorates to newly elected general officials and then they actually use the title! This is just as unethical IMHO. It is also an affront to those of us who earned our doctorates through hard work and a lot of time and money.

FG, well stated. The ethics of this practice is questionable at the very best, and deceptive at worst.
Acts-pert Poster
6/21/16 10:48 am

Post Re: I'll Tell You What is Just as Bad IMHO Old Time Country Preacher
FG Minister wrote:
When denominational schools give honorary doctorates to newly elected general officials and then they actually use the title! This is just as unethical IMHO. It is also an affront to those of us who earned our doctorates through hard work and a lot of time and money.

Preach On, FG......................
Acts-pert Poster
6/28/16 3:29 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic