Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Determining when a dream is from the Lord

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Determining when a dream is from the Lord bonnie knox
I am told that we all dream. Some of us remember what we dream and some of us don't. I have also heard that unless one's sleep is interrupted he or she will not remember what was dreamed. I happen to remember a lot of my dreams and my dreams are often quite imaginative and creative. Most of the time, my dreams are related to things I'm working through emotionally, although once not too long ago I did in a dream recall a name I was trying to remember.
There is only one or two times in particular that I had a dream that I afterward thought was from the Lord. I dreamed a woman I knew was suicidal. I sent her a note of encouragement. I had not been in touch with her prior to that for a long time. Unbeknownst to me, she was going through a time of discouragement (though as far as I know, she was not suicidal). Her neighbor encouraged her by saying, "You never know who is thinking about you." Shortly after that, my note arrived and really encouraged her.
I don't think the vividness of the dream or the fact that the dream is remembered is a way to know whether it is a dream from the Lord. I think there must be an impression from the Holy Spirit that the dream is from the Lord.
Of course, some dreams can be rather puzzling. I had a dream about a year and a half ago about my husband losing his job. Within a week or so after the dream, he told me he was losing his job. It turned out that he didn't lose his job, so I still don't know what to make of that dream.
What criteria do you use to determine if a dream is from the Lord?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/22/16 1:44 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Sometimes things happen in dreams that mimic what happens in real life. Sometimes God gives us these types of dreams so we can pray. A lot of times the things in dreams are symbolic, like dreaming of an open door...God is getting ready to open a new door in your life. People in your dreams can also represent a part of your own personality.

Usually if a dream sticks with you or troubles you, it is often from the Lord. Sometimes God could be prompting you to pray about a situation. Or as you said, it brings someone to mind that you have not been thinking of...pay attention to it.

If there are a lot of goofy things in the dream or someone from the TV program you just watched, maybe you are watching too much TV. Wink Certainly we do work through emotional issues in our sleep too.

There's a book you might check out called "Dreams: God's Neglected Gift" if you'd like to learn more, Bonnie.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/22/16 2:06 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
Usually if a dream sticks with you or troubles you, it is often from the Lord.

I don't see how this can be an accurate way to determine. I can have dreams 'stick with me' that are obviously not from the Lord.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/22/16 2:10 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:
Usually if a dream sticks with you or troubles you, it is often from the Lord.

I don't see how this can be an accurate way to determine. I can have dreams 'stick with me' that are obviously not from the Lord.

I am just sharing my experience with you. The best way to determine if it's from the Lord is to pray and ask Him. Ask Him for discernment if it is from Him. Ask Him to show you if it means something. Sometimes He will shed light on it and sometimes you won't know what it means until it happens.

Perry Stone had a dream/vision of the World Trade Center years before it happened. He wasn't sure what it meant until it actually happened some time later. But it troubled him so much he had an artist's rendering done of what he had seen.

John Paul Jackson has written a book about dreams, and he says that if a dream is from the Lord, it is usually in color, whereas black and white dreams are not from the Lord. Not sure how he determined that, exactly.
Confused
5/22/16 4:41 pm

Post determining if a dream is from the Lord rickfowler
Bonnie,

I see all dreams as first a call to prayer. Prayer for interpretation, pray to see if it is from God or the devil. Sometimes we have to pray whether something is from God or the devil and it has nothing to do with a dream, yikes. Pray about the people in the dream and allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you regarding them.

Through out the scriptures God has spoken to people in prayer, dreams, visions, and prophetic words to just a few of His means of communication.

So write down the dream and pray over it and see what the Lord prompts you thru it. Obvious the note you sent was spurred on by a dream and used of God.
Friendly Face
5/22/16 9:22 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Perry Stone....................John Paul Jackson.

Moses spoke in tongues in Ex 32:32

Ya house might be a poltergeist

Demon Possessed Christians

Etc...

Yep, I guess I oughtta run out an buy their writings on dream interpretation.
Acts-pert Poster
5/22/16 10:06 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Perry Stone has preached on many, many, many other things and been correct about it, OTCP. Give it a rest!

He had the dream/vision about the WTC, and it is documented well, years in advance of its happening. Think what you want.

I don't know much about John Paul Jackson and wasn't too impressed with what I read of his thoughts. I was just offering up a few other things I have run across with dream interpretation.

The bottom line is listen to the Holy Spirit. If the dream is from God, He will show you and eventually make it plain to you. I agree it often is a call to prayer.
5/22/16 10:39 pm

Post Link
[quote="Carolyn Smith"][quote="bonnie knox"]
Quote:

John Paul Jackson has written a book about dreams, and he says that if a dream is from the Lord, it is usually in color, whereas black and white dreams are not from the Lord. Not sure how he determined that, exactly.
Confused

I don't think I've ever had a black and white dream. Have any of you? I've had dreams where the colors weren't all that realistic, but not black and white that I recall.

For me, with some dreams, I just kind of have a kind of sense that they are from the Lord. Some I'm not sure about. I don't remember a lot of my dreams if I have them anyway.
5/22/16 11:28 pm

Post Link
I was studying really hard for my qualifier exams in my PhD program. Before my qualifier, I had dropped by my international business professor's office to discuss his portion of the exam. He was super vague, no useful clues at all. Usually, they give you some guidance. You have to memorize the contents or themes of the relevant papers, the authors and years. It is good to have some kind of limitations. I got the idea that maybe he wasn't that sure what he would ask.

I dropped by a little closer to the date of the exam. He said to focus on the main themes of the seminar.

The other professors gave me some good parameters. My stats professor was rather specific.

With my IB professor, I was still confused. What were the main themes? I studied the papers, considering the themes.

Then, one night, after staying up studying, I dreamed that Dr. Who came up and talked to me. I used to watch Dr. Who, a British show, when I was a teen in PBS. Every so often, the doctor 'regenerates' into a different form and the show gets a new actor, and so it was the longest running sci-fi show for a long time. I'd seen some episodes of the revived version of the show on BBCA, and the actor from the shows I'd been watching was the one I met. (David Tenant. I confirmed this with a web search.)

Dr. Who told me to study internationalization.

I did. I also studied other themes as well. The question my professor gave me was what is the difference between internalization and internationalization.

I figure, Dr. Who could travel in the future and know what was on my test, since he is a time traveler. Smile

I suppose I could interpret this as a kind of spiritual dream. But this is one case where a psychological explanation could make sense, that my subconscious was working through this stuff.

I stopped watching Dr. Who when I saw they kept putting LGBT themes in the show and promoting that kind of junk on what used to be a children's show.
5/22/16 11:36 pm

Post bonnie knox
No, I've never had a black and white dream. The only reason I could imagine anyone having a black and white dream is if they watched a lot of black and white TV and dreamed about what they saw on TV, maybe? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/23/16 6:59 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
I had a dream in black and white, but then realized I was dreamin bout a Shoneys hot fudge cake. White ice cream and chocolate cake an fudge. Acts-pert Poster
5/23/16 11:51 am

Post bonnie knox
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
I had a dream in black and white, but then realized I was dreamin bout a Shoneys hot fudge cake. White ice cream and chocolate cake an fudge.

Ole Timer, that's brown and white. Oreos and a glass of milk are black and white.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/23/16 12:13 pm

Post Cojak
I cannot remember if my dreams are B/W.
As far as I can remember I have never had a dream I thought was directly from the Lord. I have this personal opinion that if it is from the Lord you will KNOW it and there will be no doubt.

So I could be wrong, I have been before.

I think I am old enough to fit that scripture about old men having dreams..... But, but I don't remember having a God sent vision either. It could be He doesn't trust me with either. Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/23/16 4:44 pm

Post c6thplayer1
[quote="Link"]
Carolyn Smith wrote:

I don't think I've ever had a black and white dream. Have any of you? I've had dreams where the colors weren't all that realistic, but not black and white that I recall.

Its an indication that all three elements in your Cathode Ray tube are functioning correctly. Cool
5/23/16 9:21 pm

Post Cojak
c6thplayer1 wrote:

Its an indication that all three elements in your Cathode Ray tube are functioning correctly. Cool

YOu still use the CRT? But you are probably right! Smile Smile

I do dream (some are day type!) but I don't remember a color. Imma check tonight and get back with you! Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/23/16 10:55 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I think if you have a dream that is from the Lord, you will know it. You don't have to try and figure it out or talk to a dream interpreter. It's the same with our every day thoughts. Sometimes, you get a thought and you know right away that it was from God. No guessing.

I have had one dream that came from God. It is too long to describe but I was in danger in the dream and it was very scary. In the end, I was safe. When I woke up, my first thought was "wow, God...what was that all about!" He said that no matter what I would go through, He would be with me. Soon after, I lost my job, lost my car, lost my house and going through that with a wife and 3 daughters at home, I lost my self confidence and my dignity. But God...came through and we came out of it.
Acts-pert Poster
5/24/16 11:00 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic