Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

A Few Thoughts on the Current Context of the COG: Leadership, Elections, Etc...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post A Few Thoughts on the Current Context of the COG: Leadership, Elections, Etc... Old Time Country Preacher
Anyone wishing to employ their research skills may search the 15+ years of Actscelerate archives (the length of time OTCP has been posting on Acts), and in particular, examine in detail every post made by OTCP. Not one post, other than those made in parody/jest/fun, will be found where the ole timer demeaned/maligned/berated this wonderful entity called the Church of God. OTCP is 4th gen Pentecostal, 3rd gen COG, and loves this movement with all his heart. That said, the following comments are in no way intended as a negative assessment of the COG, its leadership, polity, doctrine or structure. It is simply a personal observation and assessment of our present status/condition. The comments are in no particular order.

First, as an organization, we are extremely top heavy. For example, the SBC, ten times the size of the COG, has a president who is also a pastor. True, SBC polity and church structure is different than the COG, but still, we see what can be accomplished with far less full-time executive administrative positions. Our current paradigm is the fault of no one presently in leadership; rather, it is an organizational structure/system that has evolved ever so slowly into its current form. Many of the mechanisms currently in place were voted on and implemented in order to—at least theoretically—eliminate the possibility of dictatorial leadership. These mechanisms, while originally well intentioned, limit/curb/hinder even the most miniscule attempts at change. This is not a statement designed to expose or call out specific persons as though the fault of such a system could be placed at their feet. No, the fault/reason for our current model resides with the entire General Council/General Assembly and decades of additions/amendments to polity/by-laws.

Second, no person—regardless of how gifted—elected to executive/administrative office can produce the change that so many call/yearn for. This lesson should have been learned when Dr. Paul Walker was elected for two terms as Gen Overseer. I remember the sentiment as we left the assembly the year he was elected for the first term. Walker had done such a phenomenal job over the years at Mt. Paran, many were projecting a new day for the COG. Walker was christened by more than a few as a savior of sorts, who would lead the COG to the next level of effectiveness. However, when he assumed office, the existing organizational structure (i.e., the compilation of by-laws, processes, etc., that had to be negotiated) limited much of what Walker could (and probably would) have done. No reflection on Walker, I love the guy, but he had to operate within the system created by decades of Gen Council/Gen Assembly votes/rulings/etc.

That said, the cry for “new blood” to be voted on the EC or C-18, while in and of itself is not a bad thing, even if accomplished, will not, in and of itself, produce the kind of change so many desire. Nothing wrong with creative/innovative thinking, ideas, etc. But because our organizational paradigm requires so much time, so many hurdles that must be jumped, to get an idea/concept from the discussion/dialogue phase to implementation, change is not going to happen quickly. I share this with the hope that we will view change realistically, not through as set of fairy tale lens where a knight in shining armor is going to be elected and solve all our problems. Our current paradigm was created over decades. Our solutions will not occur overnight.

If, in Nashville, every man elected to the EC is under the age of 35, and if every member of the C-18 is also under the age of 35, yes, there will be creative/innovative ideas abounding. However, this hypothetical leadership team will have two choices: 1) Operate within the current paradigm to bring about change—painfully and excruciatingly slow; or 2) Circumvent the by-laws/polity set forth by the Gen Assembly and implement change(s) as desired. The same would be true if every man elected to the EC and C-18 is over 75 years of age. No one has the right to circumvent the minutes of the Gen Assembly. So, the issue isn’t necessarily about age as much as it is about our modus operandi. When this is amended, something that will occur painfully slow, perhaps then we can experience within a reasonable timeframe the kind of change some are calling for.

Third, while executive/administrative leadership is important and has its place in the overall schematic of an organization, genuine ministry occurs primarily via the local church, e.g., the pastorate, chaplaincy, para-church ministries, evangelists/evangelism, Christian schools/daycares, missions, outreach, etc. The local church is the front line of ministry. International, state, regional administrative offices/positions should exist to provide resources/networking that will increase the effectiveness of the local church, not to provide a self-sustaining number of administrative positions where every two years we play a game of musical chairs.

What’s the game plan? The ministers of the COG need to pray as never before for direction from God, be willing to make the sacrifices needed for the good of the movement, and above all, realize that God birthed the COG, he can certainly lead us through substantive and productive transition.
Acts-pert Poster
5/17/16 12:34 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Truth! Acts-pert Poster
5/17/16 6:19 am

Post Da Sheik
Quote:
International, state, regional administrative offices/positions should exist to provide resources/networking that will increase the effectiveness of the local church, not to provide a self-sustaining number of administrative positions where every two years we play a game of musical chairs.

The whole post was thoughtful but this bit resonated with me strongly.
Acts Enthusiast
5/17/16 6:34 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
The only thing that effectively can reduce top-heaviness would be cutting the mandatory funds required from the local church. Just as is true with Washington DC, as long as the money keeps flowing in, the government/leadership WILL keep the behemoth as well-fed and growing as possible.

Rather than slow, tedious policy adjustments to our organization, another major trimming back of the mandated percentages sent in by local churches into the denomination is the only way the top-heaviness will ever be significantly reduced.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/17/16 1:59 pm

Post Change Agent
OTCP, You and I don't agree very often. It about time you are leading instead of calling out error. You nailed it. Surprised Acts Enthusiast
5/17/16 2:47 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Centralized government.

You gotta love it! Laughing

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/17/16 8:47 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
sheepdogandy wrote:
Centralized government.

You loved it at one time, Andy, until the system didn't work in your favor.
Acts-pert Poster
5/18/16 1:40 am

Post bonnie knox
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
sheepdogandy wrote:
Centralized government.

You loved it at one time, Andy, until the system didn't work in your favor.

I think he still loves it--he can't quit talking about it. Confused
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/18/16 6:57 am

Post wayne
Da Sheik wrote:
Quote:
International, state, regional administrative offices/positions should exist to provide resources/networking that will increase the effectiveness of the local church, not to provide a self-sustaining number of administrative positions where every two years we play a game of musical chairs.

The whole post was thoughtful but this bit resonated with me strongly.

Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up
Acts Enthusiast
5/18/16 7:50 am

Post bonnie knox
Ole Timer, I feel compelled to say you made an impressive post (even more impressive than your other impressive posts, lol). I hope your post generates some healthy dialogue.
Idea
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/18/16 8:15 am

Post sheepdogandy
Nope, I never loved it.

Besides you folks are the ones crying about it now.

You have supported this system, now feed it.

www.spwc.church
5/18/16 9:11 am

sheepdogandy wrote:
Nope, I never loved it.

You never loved it, but was a part of it?

You was part a somethin ya never loved long as it worked for ya?

Ifn ats really the case, Andy, maybe a certain overseer was not the reason for exitin the COG, but maybe he became the conduit, the way out, for what some was already wantin to do.
Acts-pert Poster
5/18/16 12:53 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Your fishing again Ol Timer.

I never "worked" the system.

I had no issues with it, until it bit me (and many others whom I love).

You really don't want a re-telling of the events of 1989, do you?

With specifics, including names.

I am but one of many who have experienced the "dark side" of Church of God government.

It amuses me to read the observations of those who would crucify me because of my convictions, yet themselves reveal the same short comings, and reach the same conclusions.

All the smoke screens and attempted diversions cannot change the truth.

Read your own post.

It is what it is.

www.spwc.church
5/18/16 2:24 pm

sheepdogandy wrote:
Your fishing again Ol Timer.

I never "worked" the system.

I had no issues with it, until it bit me (and many others whom I love).

You really don't want a re-telling of the events of 1989, do you?

With specifics, including names.

I am but one of many who have experienced the "dark side" of Church of God government.

It amuses me to read the observations of those who would crucify me because of my convictions, yet themselves reveal the same short comings, and reach the same conclusions.

All the smoke screens and attempted diversions cannot change the truth.

Read your own post.

It is what it is.

I used to fish, Andy, but its been years. Got tard a cleanin em slimy things, course I love me some a that fried flounder at the fish camp. Wink

Nope, no fishin. I already know the story. You mighta fergot, but ya told me yourself several years ago.
Acts-pert Poster
5/18/16 4:45 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Hey, I am getting old.

Aren't I? Shocked

www.spwc.church
5/18/16 5:19 pm

sheepdogandy wrote:
Hey, I am getting old.

Aren't I? Shocked

Hey, the ole timer still loves ya Andy! I'd love ya a littler more if ya was full-fledged 100% COG, but I still love ya, bro. Cool
Acts-pert Poster
5/18/16 9:34 pm

Post sheepdogandy
I used to be 100% Church of God.

Now I am a hybird of Church of God, Assemblies of God and Congregationalist.

They tell me I'm bigger and better than ever! Laughing

www.spwc.church
5/20/16 12:45 pm

Post Clint Wills
This year I think I recognize why younger leadership is important. I think, too, that it's worth noting the word "younger" is not the same as "young". Younger than 70 is anyone under 70. When I think of, "young" on the other hand, I think about my 10 year old son. A 40 year old man is not young...believe me - I'm getting close!!
I think, however, that we need people that are young enough to see change through. In most cases a 60 year old pastor will behave differently than a 40 year old pastor. At 60 you're thinking about the end more than the beginning. That's a generalization, but I think it's mostly accurate. I look at 60 year old people around me and they are in (or near) retirement mode.
At the denominational level I would love to have leaders who can see change through. This is a big reason I am in favor of removing AB tenure limitations. Finding ABs in their 40's is rough because they know they'll be out of a job in their 50's. Also...if an AB is at a state for 2-4 (or even 6) years, they could theoretically just continually pass the buck on to the next guy without ever having the opportunity to make tough decisions and see things through.
5/25/16 10:27 am

Post georgiapath
OTCP, I don't think anybody believes you are an otcp living in Pikeville, Ky. I think you are really one of the big shots in Cleveland. Care to tell me I'm wrong. Laughing Laughing Acts-dicted
5/25/16 10:51 am

georgiapath wrote:
OTCP, I don't think anybody believes you are an otcp living in Pikeville, Ky. I think you are really one of the big shots in Cleveland. Care to tell me I'm wrong. Laughing Laughing

The parody of OTCP is a lifelong resident of Pikeville, KY.

Cleveland? Been there, but never lived there!

Big Shot? Nope, just a humble, easy goin, laid back, OTCP, who reveals the unethical, refutes error, revels in truth, loves the Lord and is devoted to momma. Wink
Acts-pert Poster
5/25/16 11:04 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic