Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

General Assembly News - 1919

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post General Assembly News - 1919 Mark Ledbetter
Now that the official registration brochure has been mailed, I'm sure many are anticipating a great General Assembly in Nashville.

In light of the upcoming GA, I thought I'd post a few excerpts from the October 25, 1919 edition of the Church of God Evangel.

Front Page
Headline:
Quote:
THE EVANGEL WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED THE WEEK OF ASSEMBLY!

Subheadline:
Quote:
Bring as much bedding with you to the Assembly as You Can!

Footer Notation:

Quote:
The opposite sex must not become too intimate with each other
The Holy Ghost is with us and we expect Him to Have Full sway

Special notations regarding attendance:

Quote:
You can bring your lunches if you want to and almost board yourselves. Some have gone through the assembly very cheap by taking both bedding and food from home.

We want to make this the best and greatest Assembly we have ever had...Let us all love with a deeper Christian love, and do our best to make others happy. We expect the outpouring of the Holy Ghost accompanied with the other tongues. We expect miracles of healing and demonstrations of the Spirit and the power of God. We expect love and unity to reign supreme in all the services and deliberations...

Opposers, fakes, fanatics, critics, disturbers, backbiters, whisperers, debaters, those that would get off a little crowd and try to poison there minds against the Church of God, factional leaders, seditionists and heritics (sic), are not wanted, unless they will keep their mouths shut and listen, and to to the altar and get religion.

Article by C.T. Morgan:

Quote:
Loyal or Disloyal - Which?
{Passages cited in opening remarks: Psalm 34:1-3; 149:4; Isaiah 29:19}

Now reader, if you want your joy to increase, you can get it done by being meek. Meek means gentle, submissive, yielding, mild of temper, humble, patient. If you have all these, your joy is increasing. Meek means submissive and submissive means to obey. Alright, we are supposed to obey...

{Passage cited: Hebrews 13:17}
You say you do this. Do you do it with joy? I hear some one say, "I don't like the reporting system but I will report." Perhaps that is why your joy is not increasing.

{Passages cited: Ecclesiastes 9:10; James 1:22}
If we are doers of the Word, we are glad to report. If not, we are disloyal to the Church of God. We can't be meek and obey without reporting. "Are you loyal or disloyal - which?

The article continues addressing paying tithes and adds, "I am sure your joy is increasing if you are walking in the light as it is turned on."

The edition also includes on page 2 an article regarding "Justification and Regeneration" by Mrs. Lorena Cotton, several praise reports, and a poem by M.S. Lemons, "In Assembly." The opening verse:

Quote:
We meet again in 'Assembly'
With songs of joy and victory,
For we know God's church is right,
For it we'll labor day and night;
The foe is strong on every hand,
But on God's Word we firmly stand,
Heaven and earth will pass away,
But truth will stand the judgment day.

On page 3 there is a notice that "J.L Scott or Ridgedale, Tenn. is no longer a minister or member of the Church of God," and several letters addressed to "Dear Brother Tomlinson."

I have this edition of the Evangel in my possession.

And, a final note: Subscription Price - 3 months, 25 cents, 6 months 50 cents, one year, $1, 5 years, $4. Single copy 5 cents.

As is sometimes said, "Times, they're a changing!"
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
4/30/16 6:23 pm

Post Re: General Assembly News - 1919 Old Time Country Preacher
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
October 25, 1919 edition of the Church of God Evangel.
Quote:
Fakes, fanatics ... those that would get off a little crowd and try to poison there minds against the Church of God, factional leaders, seditionists and heritics (sic), are not wanted, unless they will keep their mouths shut and listen, and go to the altar.

Even in 1919 the COG was dealing with pre-WoF woffies.
Acts-pert Poster
4/30/16 10:38 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic