Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Drinking orange juice is against COG teachings (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Drinking orange juice is against COG teachings (L) Eddie Robbins
http://quezi.com/14067 Acts-pert Poster
4/19/16 2:54 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
I always wondered why Cousin Clem drinks bout a half-gallon a OJ ever day. Acts-pert Poster
4/19/16 3:26 pm

Post bonnie knox
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
I always wondered why Cousin Clem drinks bout a half-gallon a OJ ever day.

At article said ya metabolize it fast as ya can drink it, so I reckon ya Cousin Clem jus likes tha way it tastess. Probly reminds him of Christmas an all since at use ta be tha only time you'd git a orange.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/19/16 3:31 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I know it's funny....but....do y'all take it seriously or just laugh it off? Acts-pert Poster
4/19/16 4:06 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Sorry man.

More legalistic stuff from Eddie.

Here is a quote from the article:
Quote:
In many countries any drink with less than 0.5% ABV can legally be described as non-alcoholic, because your body can metabolise the alcohol as fast as you consume the drink.

No orange juice passes that threshold - thus they are non alcoholic.

If you are legalistic like Eddie though - I suggest starting the hunger strike now - because all food and drink have trace amounts of drugs and other things due to pollution.

Smart guys like Charles Conn knew the difference. I wish Eddie would have learned more stuff from him regarding Church of God teachings. The splitting hairs over this type of stuff would have been laughed out of the classroom by Dr. Conn.
4/19/16 4:09 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Haha! You can't help yourself. You, hiding behind a pen name, go personal on me. You know I'm not legalistic. I'm making a point that if the teachings say no alcohol, it means no alcohol. If not, a little wine is ok. Which is it?

Actually, Charles Conn, who I knew pretty well, would have loved my point.
Acts-pert Poster
4/19/16 4:43 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
If you dont want pen names...post it on sig series.
4/20/16 4:46 am

Post Eddie Robbins
If you go personal on somebody, have the guts to use your real name on a post. Pen names are not here for that reason. Acts-pert Poster
4/20/16 6:31 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:
If you go personal on somebody, have the guts to use your real name on a post. Pen names are not here for that reason.

I didn't see it as personal.

I didn't say "You are a sad little man, and you have my pity".(Buzz Lightyear)

That would be personal.
4/20/16 6:47 am

Post Abstaining from "strong drink" Mat
I know that to a good portion of the "Christian" community, churches (like these found in the COG movement) that teach strongly about abstaining from "strong drink" (including beer, wine, etc) that contains alcohol seems unenlightened at best. Being an abstainer is not cool these days, nor is it easy, as the world views non-drinkers as "light-weights" and many churches have "blessed" the use of beer and wine (and something stronger in moderation). Is there naturally occurring alcohol in some foods, yes, and yes, there are meds that contain a fair about of alcohol.

The question about the use of alcohol in churches is often about liberty of the believer verse "unrealistic" expectations on believers. Here's the problem for me, while some argue for use (in moderation) while overlooking the impact of alcohol on society as a whole. There is a relationship between alcohol use and unwanted pregnancies and a relationship between unwanted pregnancies and abortions, but it would be "uncool" to draw that line. There is a relationship between alcohol use and DUIs, and a relationship between DUIs and fatal car accidents (especially among teens). There is a relationship between consumption of alcohol and health issues, and there is a relationship between those health issues and increasing high medical cost for everybody.

I know, good Christians who drink would only do it in moderation. So do us non-drinkers a favor, don't drink and drive, don't think your kids know how to handle drinking, and should you develop an alcohol related disease, don't seek medical treatment as you are driving up the insurance primaries and taxes. If you're "man enough" to drink, you're man enough to die without my money going to ease your pain.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
4/20/16 7:13 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Agreed Mat.

The ones making light of a very serious American problem are living in the dark ages.

God forbid the church should attempt to cry out against this serious issue.
4/20/16 7:50 am

Post Re: Abstaining from "strong drink" UncleJD
Mat wrote:
There is a relationship between alcohol abuse and DUIs, and a relationship between DUIs and fatal car accidents (especially among teens).

There is a relationship between consumption of alcohol and health issues (true, a positive one that has been documented over and over again, perhaps you again meant "abuse"?),

and there is a relationship between those health issues and increasing high medical cost for everybody. nope, unless you re-write the sentence with "abuse" in there somewhere, that would make it a true statement

there, fixed it for you.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/20/16 9:09 am

Post Re: Abstaining from "strong drink" Mat
UncleJD wrote:
Mat wrote:
There is a relationship between alcohol abuse and DUIs, and a relationship between DUIs and fatal car accidents (especially among teens).

There is a relationship between consumption of alcohol and health issues (true, a positive one that has been documented over and over again, perhaps you again meant "abuse"?),

and there is a relationship between those health issues and increasing high medical cost for everybody. nope, unless you re-write the sentence with "abuse" in there somewhere, that would make it a true statement

there, fixed it for you.

OK, it is clear that anyone who gets a DUI has "abused"alcohol (unless of course they are under the influence of some other drug and should not be driving anyway). Some one who drinks and drives is abusing alcohol. Someone who causes an accident while drinking and driving (clearly abuse) is a criminal and someone who causes a fatality when drinking and driving is a murderer. There, does that fix it for you?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
4/20/16 10:10 am

Post Fact Check: False! spartanfan
I checked several places and here's the quick answer from Ask.com as to whether or not orange juice contains alcohol....

Q:
Does orange juice contain alcohol?

A:
QUICK ANSWER
Orange juice does not contain alcohol. It is simply the juice of oranges. Some brands of bottled orange juice add calcium and vitamin D to the juice.

So this is much ado about nothing.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
4/20/16 10:25 am

Post Re: Abstaining from "strong drink" UncleJD
Mat wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
Mat wrote:

there, fixed it for you.

OK, it is clear that anyone who gets a DUI has "abused"alcohol (unless of course they are under the influence of some other drug and should not be driving anyway). Some one who drinks and drives is abusing alcohol. Someone who causes an accident while drinking and driving (clearly abuse) is a criminal and someone who causes a fatality when drinking and driving is a murderer. There, does that fix it for you?

Mat

My point is when we teach that use is unhealthy (it isn't), or that "use" will lead to the grave and maybe even to Hell, then we lose credibility. Teach it correctly and we may save more people from that fate than the failed "shun strong drink" message of the past. Yes, alcohol abuse destroys lives, sends people to hell, leads to battered women and children, all of these are true and with that message, we can make a legitimate case to sustain from it completely.

I was told from an early age that Biblical wine was grape-juice. Imagine my surprise in Dr. Daffe's class at Lee when I learned that was incorrect. Amazingly, I didn't run right out and get drunk that night. I believe Christians can and should handle the truth and make a good decision, the best decision may be to never ever drink alcohol. But they will never make the decision to sin based on the truth as some seem to fear.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/21/16 8:28 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic