Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Baptist preachers and deacons.

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Baptist preachers and deacons. Cojak
Just to clarify, ‘Some of my best friends are Baptist.’ Very Happy

When I was in business we had an account at a local ‘full service station.’ Joe always came out to service my trucks. Pleasant friendly guy, a Christian by all signs. One day I missed Joe, and asked Jim Groner the owner, ‘Hey, where is Joe?’

"You don’t know? Old Joe is now the pastor of Unity Baptist."

You could have pushed me over with a feather. From pumping gas to the pastor of the 2nd largest Baptist church in town.

Being COG I remembered, ‘We had to climb the ladder, pay our dues, etc. (Even knowing some one helped a lot) Here this Baptist church takes my friend, who had NEVER pastored a church as the senior pastor. I did not know when Joe pumped gas, that he was a graduate of a Baptist seminary.

Joe has been there now over 20 years. Great guy. My son and grandsons have all served as the church music directors.

I said that to explain what I have learned, Baptist preachers know how to preach and pray. BUT the deacons are a different story. We have visited Joe’s church and many Baptist churches around the country and the Baptist Deacon can pray the longest prayers I have ever heard. Once at a church in Pennsylvania the deacon prayed so long (naming every legislature state and federal methinks) that the preacher basically dismissed after reading a text.

I said that to say, Unity Baptist Church sure knew how to pick a good preacher/pastor, but I am not sure of the process of selecting deacons!

(I attended a Baptist church this morning, the subject was prayer, the pastor said, “Using the scripture as an example, brief and to the point gets results.”)

I am not sure the deacons know that.
Shocked Very Happy
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/10/16 11:31 am

Post Re: Baptist preachers and deacons. Old Time Country Preacher
Cojak wrote:
I attended a Baptist church this morning!

Cojak, son, when I read the above comment, I couldn't git nothing else outta what ya posted. A Baptist church? Baptist? The only Baptist in the Bible was John, an that was his vocation, not his denomination.

The great Church of God is named 8 times in the KJV.

8 times!!!!!!!!!!!

An you attended a Baptist church anyways?

Sonnnnnnnn................... Shocked Embarassed Shocked
Acts-pert Poster
4/10/16 1:12 pm

Post Re: Baptist preachers and deacons. Cojak
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Cojak wrote:

Cojak, son, when I read the above comment, I couldn't git nothing else outta what ya posted. A Baptist church? Baptist? The only Baptist in the Bible was John, an that was his vocation, not his denomination.

8 times!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah but they had donuts and coffee. Mama even taken her coffee to the pew (I did sneak one sip, I didn't think that would hert)
Mama still won't eat in church, but dranking is okay since them preachers do it. Embarassed
4/10/16 3:49 pm

Post c6thplayer1
I guess some havent spent any time in a spirit filled baptist church.. Cool Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/10/16 7:44 pm

Post Re: Baptist preachers and deacons. Old Time Country Preacher
Cojak wrote:
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Cojak wrote:

8 times!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah but they had donuts and coffee. Mama even taken her coffee to the pew (I did sneak one sip, I didn't think that would hert)
Mama still won't eat in church, but dranking is okay since them preachers do it. Embarassed

Laughing Wink
Acts-pert Poster
4/10/16 9:30 pm

Post Cojak
c6thplayer1 wrote:
I guess some havent spent any time in a spirit filled baptist church.. Cool

Shocked Wink
4/10/16 10:10 pm

Post c6thplayer1
my uncle was a deacon in a baptist church. He could take on any of the responsibilities of a pastor. He was a man of honor. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/11/16 6:38 pm

Post Da Sheik
Theology aside, I like the Baptist model of church government. Most churches are autonomous although they identify with a bigger movement. Either way you look at it we all answer to someone. For some it's the AB. For others, it's the chairman of the deacons.

One thing I don't particularly care for in the Baptist model, is the prevalent view of a deacon's role. I think the biblical model is that the deacon is a servant leader. However, many deacons I have encountered consider themselves "church bosses ". But again , we all answer to someone.
Acts Enthusiast
4/11/16 8:08 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Da Sheik wrote:
Theology aside, I like the Baptist model of church government. Most churches are autonomous although they identify with a bigger movement. Either way you look at it we all answer to someone. For some it's the AB. For others, it's the chairman of the deacons.

One thing I don't particularly care for in the Baptist model, is the prevalent view of a deacon's role. I think the biblical model is that the deacon is a servant leader. However, many deacons I have encountered consider themselves "church bosses ". But again , we all answer to someone.

I played with a gospel group around 5 years and baptist churches were one of our most played locations in 4 states. I came to know a lot of deacons , pastors etc during this time but none that I knew of had the traits of the "Boss". I'm sure there were some but it was never displayed in our conversations.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/11/16 8:51 pm

Post Da Sheik
I agree C6th and I didn't mean to paint with a broad brush. I just mean that many Baptists have a much more "elevated" definition of a deacon than what is biblically stated. Paul says that being a deacon is definitely something that should be honorable though.

And as an aside, I have many Baptist pastor friends and they seem far less frustrated than the average COG minister. Not sure what inferences can be drawn from that, if any.
Acts Enthusiast
4/11/16 9:39 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic