Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

First Baptist Church Using Praise Flags (V)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post First Baptist Church Using Praise Flags (V) doyle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-LXXeYnNJg

It's my understanding that it has been mostly Charismatic churches that use what is called "Praise Flags." My Sister-In-Law in Central California, is big on.
Praise Flags and at her church, an Assembly of God church, several people participate.

I have always loved the Scripture that says the Lord will lift up a banner against the forces of evil. So, as long as it is done with some form of
decorum and or organization, I'm for it. If there are people who want to do it and it is meaningful to them, I'm on board as long as the rest of the congregation don't feel it disrupts their worship.

If your churches allows or encourages the use of banners, what are some Scriptures you use? Here is one I saw today:

"May we shout for joy over your victory and lift up our banners in the name of our God. May the LORD grant all your requests." Psalm 20:5

Does your worship service include Praise Flags?

Doyle
4/7/16 7:23 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
The use of flags and streamers has not historically been looked upon here at ACTs as a valid ministry. But it is what my daughter loves to do in worship. She combines them with dance, mime, and sign language. She has a Theater Ed degree but is not really trained in dance...it is just the way she worships.

Here's a link to a video on my FB page in which she used streamers for a Christmas song. The choir director at the PH church she attends now invited her to participate with three of the songs in their Christmas presentation.

https://www.facebook.com/691241499/videos/vb.691241499/10153270283906500/?type=2&theater
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/7/16 10:05 pm

Post Many churches have copied Pentecostal styles. Aaron Scott
Falwell, many years ago, tried to do it with choir. It wasn't good, but it was a start that got better. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/8/16 7:02 am

Post Re: First Baptist Church Using Praise Flags (V) Old Time Country Preacher
doyle wrote:
Does your worship service include Praise Flags?

The COGOP has used flags since the 1920's.

Acts-pert Poster
4/8/16 9:23 am

Post OTCP (P) Mat
OTCP,

What picture were you trying to post?

Mat

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
4/8/16 9:28 am

Post I was trying to post ... Mat
I was trying to post a new "Rainbow Christian Flag", but I could not get the link right. If you google church flags you will be surprised how many churches/denominations have their own church flag. Generally, they use the same scriptures and many of the same elements in their designs.

The standard Christian Flag (white with a blue field and red cross in the field - much like the USA flag design) flies over a variety of churches and religious institutions. To me the standard Christian Flag looks a lot like the Confederacy's "Stainless Banner" flag. I know that the fundamentalist Baptist are "big" on the Christian Flag, as are many Pentecostal churches.

Mat

PS Do you flag a "Christian Flag" at your church or in your sanctuary? Why?
Acts Enthusiast
4/8/16 9:40 am

Post Re: OTCP (P) Old Time Country Preacher
Mat wrote:
OTCP,

What picture were you trying to post?

Mat

Mat

Mat, I was tryin to post the COGOP flag. The crown on the flag looks just like the one Homer Tomlinson was wearin (only his was covered in tin foil) when he crowned hisself King of the World.
Acts-pert Poster
4/8/16 12:04 pm

Post OTCP, I'm worried about you ... (L) Mat
OTCP, I'm worried about you. I think you have a "Homer fixation". Do you have a crown hidden in the storage room off the stage in the church that you put on when nobody's around? Or do you just wear your academic robes and pretend you are a Doctor or an Arch-Bishop or an Apostle or something?

Yes, there is a crown on the flag, and yes it represents King Jesus, but no, the COGOP did not give or promote Homer wearing a crown. You know that when AJT died Homer was "passed over" for the younger son. Homer had been away from the COGOP for sometime (10 to 20 years) before he took to being "King of the World".

Homer just got ahead of the program. After all we shall "wear a robe and crown."

Here's a link for you:

http://artists.letssingit.com/gaither-vocal-band-lyrics-i-shall-wear-a-crown-khl5kt2

It raises the question - should we not wear a robe before we get to heaven?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
4/8/16 1:22 pm

Post Re: OTCP, I'm worried about you ... (L) Old Time Country Preacher
Mat wrote:
OTCP, I'm worried about you. I think you have a "Homer fixation". Do you have a crown hidden in the storage room off the stage in the church that you put on when nobody's around? Or do you just wear your academic robes and pretend you are a Doctor or an Arch-Bishop or an Apostle or something?

Yes, there is a crown on the flag, and yes it represents King Jesus, but no, the COGOP did not give or promote Homer wearing a crown. You know that when AJT died Homer was "passed over" for the younger son. Homer had been away from the COGOP for sometime (10 to 20 years) before he took to being "King of the World".

Homer just got ahead of the program. After all we shall "wear a robe and crown."

Here's a link for you:

http://artists.letssingit.com/gaither-vocal-band-lyrics-i-shall-wear-a-crown-khl5kt2

Mat

No Homer fixation, Mat. The ole boy just looks a mite comical in some a them pictures.
Acts-pert Poster
4/8/16 1:46 pm

Post Re: OTCP, I'm worried about you ... (L) Mat
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Mat wrote:

Here's a link for you:

Mat

No Homer fixation, Mat. The ole boy just looks a mite comical in some a them pictures.

OTCP,

I would say "comical" is one of the kinder words used to describe those pictures. I think Pentecost history is full of what can be politely described as "comical" pictures. I always found the sight of large "Pentecostal/holiness" women with foot high beehive hair and and long dresses to be a bit "comical." I guess, with your focus on false degrees, that those to claim them look "comical" in their academic robes.

Strange garments and cultural curiosities aside, I know that Homer, and most likely those "beehive" sisters lived a righteous lives. What is not "comical" are those who wear long robes and claim great titles while living lives of sin and debauchery. There are your "whited sepulchers full of dead men's bones."

Mat

PS I started to post a picture of a large Pentecostal woman with Beehive hair, but I thought I might accidentally post somebodies grandmother or mother, or even their wife. Some pictures are best left in the past.
Acts Enthusiast
4/8/16 2:13 pm

Post Re: OTCP, I'm worried about you ... (L) Old Time Country Preacher
Mat wrote:
I guess, with your focus on false degrees, that those to claim them look "comical" in their academic robes.

Horse laughin comical.
Acts-pert Poster
4/8/16 4:13 pm

Post bonnie knox
Our church uses flags. We have a team of dancers who are the ones usually waving the flags in the corners of the sanctuary. They used some verses, but to me the verses don't really have anything to do with waving colored cloths in an assembly, but I don't have a problem with the flags being used.
The dance team did a very lovely dance on Easter.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/8/16 5:17 pm

Post Homer.... Aaron Scott
From what I've read of Homer, he was considered a good and decent man. Like his father, he was a bit of a P.T. Barnum in the interest of promoting the church.

Why make fun of someone who was a good man, but just was bolder with his supernatural beliefs than we are?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/8/16 5:42 pm

Post Re: Homer.... Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:
Why make fun of someone who was a good man, but just was bolder with his supernatural beliefs than we are?

In the world of parody, few things are exempt. Hey, OTCP makes fun a his own self, momma, his ole blue tick hound, an even his young'uns.
Acts-pert Poster
4/8/16 7:46 pm

Post Re: Homer.... Mat
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

In the world of parody, few things are exempt. Hey, OTCP makes fun a his own self, momma, his ole blue tick hound, an even his young'uns.

Are there some websites or Facebook pages where we can see your family so we can join in the fun? Or perhaps one of you in your "Sunday go to meetin" overalls.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
4/9/16 6:12 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Congregational worship used to be a time we all closed our eyes, raised our hands and lifted our voices unto God. Now we watch other people worship. Smh.
4/9/16 7:26 am

Post Re: Homer.... Old Time Country Preacher
Mat wrote:
Or perhaps one of you in your "Sunday go to meetin" overalls.

Mat

Tellin the folk............. "Ifn it aint in the good Book, it aint right."

Acts-pert Poster
4/9/16 9:10 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic