Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

DO NOT receive tithes from these two sources

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post DO NOT receive tithes from these two sources doyle
In another thread, a poster seeks to know if there are times when a church should refuse a tithe or offering.

Which reminds me of the story that a Bootlegger came to church and wanted to tithe what he had earned. Supposedly, his Mother had taught him that tithing would be a blessing on his life.

"Pastor, I would like to bring a tithe to your church, but I wanted you to know that I earned the money from Bootlegging."

"What is the amount of the financial blessing you want to give our church?" the pastor queried.

"Right now," the Bootlegger said, "I only have $1,700 in cash to give, but in a few weeks, I'll have more."

The pastor thought for a moment and said, "Yes, we will accept your financial gift. The Devil has had it long enough."

You know how stories circulate and most of them we have no way of knowing if there is any truth to them, but actually, from what I understand from Scripture, there are only two sources of money from which money should not be received as tithes and offerings.

Deuteronomy 23:18
"Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog, into the house of the Lord thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the Lord thy God."

Does that mean it's OK to receive offerings from drug money? For decades, maybe still, the COG preached against smoking but did accept tithes and offerings from people who raised tobacco. Hmm. Both tobacco and drugs are killers; one slower than the other but with predictable results.

Doyle
1/18/16 1:05 pm

Post Cojak
I remember in NC there was always a question about tobacco sales. That was back when it was not considered a major health problem, just a nasty habit. I never heard of one of our pastors down east refusing the offerings. Shocked
Most of the pastors that had problems with it were from the mountain section where not much 'baccer' was grown. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/18/16 1:13 pm

Post Re: DO NOT receive tithes from these two sources bradfreeman
doyle wrote:
You know how stories circulate and most of them we have no way of knowing if there is any truth to them, but actually, from what I understand from Scripture, there are only two sources of money from which money should not be received as tithes and offerings.

Deuteronomy 23:18
"Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog, into the house of the Lord thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the Lord thy God."

Only if its brought every third year, cause tithes are only due in the storehouse every third year...

Deuteronomy 14:28
�At the end of every third year you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in that year, and shall deposit it in your town. 29 The Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance among you, and the alien, the orphan and the widow who are in your town, shall come and eat and be satisfied, in order that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.

Deuteronomy 26:12
�When you have finished paying all the tithe of your increase in the third year, the year of tithing, then you shall give it to the Levite, to the stranger, to the orphan and to the widow, that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied

You're not seriously cherry-picking Deuteronomy rules for the ones that suit you...are you?

Deuteronomy 14:7
Nevertheless, you are not to eat of these among those which chew the cud, or among those that divide the hoof in two: the camel and the rabbit and the shaphan, for though they chew the cud, they do not divide the hoof; they are unclean for you. 8 The pig, because it divides the hoof but does not chew the cud, it is unclean for you. You shall not eat any of their flesh nor touch their carcasses.

Deuteronomy 14:9
�These you may eat of all that are in water: anything that has fins and scales you may eat, 10 but anything that does not have fins and scales you shall not eat; it is unclean for you.

Deuteronomy 15:1
�At the end of every seven years you shall grant a remission of debts.

Deuteronomy 15:12
�If your kinsman, a Hebrew man or woman, is sold to you, then he shall serve you six years, but in the seventh year you shall set him free.

Deuteronomy 16:16
�Three times in a year all your males shall appear before the Lord your God in the place which He chooses, at the Feast of Unleavened Bread and at the Feast of Weeks and at the Feast of Booths, and they shall not appear before the Lord empty-handed. 17 Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the Lord your God which He has given you.

Deuteronomy 21:10
�When you go out to battle against your enemies, and the Lord your God delivers them into your hands and you take them away captive, 11 and see among the captives a beautiful woman, and have a desire for her and would take her as a wife for yourself, 12 then you shall bring her home to your house, and she shall shave her head and trim her nails. 13 She shall also remove the clothes of her captivity and shall remain in your house, and mourn her father and mother a full month; and after that you may go in to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife.

Deuteronomy 21:18
�If any man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father or his mother, and when they chastise him, he will not even listen to them, 19 then his father and mother shall seize him, and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gateway of his hometown. 20 They shall say to the elders of his city, �This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey us, he is a glutton and a drunkard.� 21 Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death; so you shall remove the evil from your midst, and all Israel will hear of it and fear.

Deuteronomy 22:11
�You shall not wear a material mixed of wool and linen together.

Deuteronomy 23:2
No one of illegitimate birth shall enter the assembly of the Lord; none of his descendants, even to the tenth generation, shall enter the assembly of the Lord.

Deuteronomy 23:10
�If there is among you any man who is unclean because of a nocturnal emission, then he must go outside the camp; he may not reenter the camp. But it shall be when evening approaches, he shall bathe himself with water, and at sundown he may reenter the camp.

Deuteronomy 23:19
�You shall not charge interest to your countrymen: interest on money, food, or anything that may be loaned at interest. You may charge interest to a foreigner, but to your countrymen you shall not charge interest, so that the Lord your God may bless you in all that you undertake in the land which you are about to enter to possess.

Deuteronomy 23:24
�When you enter your neighbor�s vineyard, then you may eat grapes until you are fully satisfied, but you shall not put any in your basket.

Deuteronomy 24:10
�When you make your neighbor a loan of any sort, you shall not enter his house to take his pledge. You shall remain outside, and the man to whom you make the loan shall bring the pledge out to you. If he is a poor man, you shall not sleep with his pledge.

Deuteronomy 25:5
�When brothers live together and one of them dies and has no son, the wife of the deceased shall not be married outside the family to a strange man. Her husband�s brother shall go in to her and take her to himself as wife and perform the duty of a husband�s brother to her.

Deuteronomy 25:11
�If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
1/18/16 2:52 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic