Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Accepting Credit Cards at Church

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Accepting Credit Cards at Church Josh Trammell
Do any of you use on-site credit card giving at your church? I am looking into Square Pay as an option.

If you do what do you use?

And for those that don't is there a specific reason why?
11/24/15 7:46 pm

Post UncleJD
We use text to give via kindrid (www.kindred.com). You can link it to a debit or credit card. Its pretty cool. I never, ever have to worry about not bringing any cash at offering time. I'm not the pastor so I don't have any other info to give you other than our church runs over 3000 and we've had this service for at least a year. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/24/15 7:53 pm

Post Josh Trammell
UncleJD wrote:
We use text to give via kindrid (www.kindred.com). You can link it to a debit or credit card. Its pretty cool. I never, ever have to worry about not bringing any cash at offering time. I'm not the pastor so I don't have any other info to give you other than our church runs over 3000 and we've had this service for at least a year.

Yea I have looked at them. Seems a little pricey with the $45 per month plus a 2.5% rate and $.30 per transaction. Square Pay is just a straight 2.5% per swipe. So I wonder what makes the ok sites worth it to pay a monthly fee?
11/24/15 8:11 pm

Post UncleJD
As a user of the system, I wouldn't want to swipe a card at church, I'd either do Paypal or the text. I've done Paypal before and it was ok, but I love the text option. But sounds like Square Pay would be good if you want to go with credit cards. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/24/15 8:14 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I used Square back when people actually bought my book from me in person. It worked great. No monthly fees. Acts-pert Poster
11/24/15 8:31 pm

Post Josh Trammell
UncleJD wrote:
As a user of the system, I wouldn't want to swipe a card at church, I'd either do Paypal or the text. I've done Paypal before and it was ok, but I love the text option. But sounds like Square Pay would be good if you want to go with credit cards.

Gotcha...good point on people not feeling comfortable. Thanks for the input
11/24/15 8:32 pm

Post we use square card reader wayne
It was slow getting people to use it but the younger population line up to use it each service and it allows you sell things at a concession stand and if you sell shirts, books, etc. it comes in handy. Acts Enthusiast
11/25/15 2:58 pm

Post Re: Accepting Credit Cards at Church MartyBaker
Josh Trammell wrote:
Do any of you use on-site credit card giving at your church? I am looking into Square Pay as an option.

Josh,

Thanks for getting this conversation started. In 2003, Stevens Creek Church of God was going through a capital campaign. During this season, I started to look at my own life and realized that I did not carry cash or a check book, but I lived with a debit card in my hand. I started to wonder (remember this is 2003) if there were any others in my church like me. Then, it hit me. If God prompted them to give while they were at church, how would they give.

This thought stayed with me. I searched and search for a bank card donation system. I called company after company and all of them said something similar ... "that's a great idea, but we don't have a solution."

I was preaching at Central Church of God in Hilton Head, SC when the Lord woke me up at 5:45 AM on June 6, 2004 and said, "I have called you to do this." I did not know anything about bank cards at the time, but the Lord said, "Walk through the doors that I will open."

It was as clear of a call from the Lord as the call that I received when I entered the ministry. I organized a team of developers and went to work. We launched the nation's first giving kiosk at Stevens Creek in March 2005 and SecureGive was born.

About 18 months later, a reporter from the Los Angeles Times came to a Wednesday evening service and wrote a story called "ATM for Jesus" and was on the front page. The media coverage grew ... CNN, CBS, Today Show, FOX, AP and etc. The Lord did exactly what he said ... the doors I will open.

Today SecureGive serves over 1,800 churches in America, Canada and Puerto Rico. We are a Church of God company that has clients like Elevation, New Spring, Fellowship Church, Seacoast, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Brooklyn Tab, etc. etc. In fact, we serve 34 of the top 100 churches. General Headquarters and Church of God World Missions are clients too.

What do we offer. We have online giving that allows multiple categories with one transaction, multi-site campuses, scheduled giving and complete customization.

We offer giving kiosks that collect donations from spontaneous givers while they are at church.

We offer a mobile app that can be downloaded from iTunes and Android Marketplace.

We offer a text-to-give solution that speaks to a younger generation.

I am not in the day-to-day business of SecureGive, but there is a team there to answer any of your questions. Over 75% of the employees at SecureGive are Pentecostal....most of them Stevens Creekers.

If you have specific questions, call 706-228-3210 or email: Drew (at) SecureGive.com

Where should you start? The first step is online giving. Then, you may want to grow into a giving kiosk or text-to-give.

Oh, one more thing ... the Technical Support team is led by a Clemson grad. Yes, it pains me as a Gamecock fan, but it is what it is. Smile

~Marty
11/25/15 8:58 pm

Post Re: Accepting Credit Cards at Church Josh Trammell
MartyBaker wrote:
Josh Trammell wrote:

Josh,

Thanks for getting this conversation started. In 2003, Stevens Creek Church of God was going through a capital campaign. During this season, I started to look at my own life and realized that I did not carry cash or a check book, but I lived with a debit card in my hand. I started to wonder (remember this is 2003) if there were any others in my church like me. Then, it hit me. If God prompted them to give while they were at church, how would they give.

This thought stayed with me. I searched and search for a bank card donation system. I called company after company and all of them said something similar ... "that's a great idea, but we don't have a solution."

I was preaching at Central Church of God in Hilton Head, SC when the Lord woke me up at 5:45 AM on June 6, 2004 and said, "I have called you to do this." I did not know anything about bank cards at the time, but the Lord said, "Walk through the doors that I will open."

It was as clear of a call from the Lord as the call that I received when I entered the ministry. I organized a team of developers and went to work. We launched the nation's first giving kiosk at Stevens Creek in March 2005 and SecureGive was born.

About 18 months later, a reporter from the Los Angeles Times came to a Wednesday evening service and wrote a story called "ATM for Jesus" and was on the front page. The media coverage grew ... CNN, CBS, Today Show, FOX, AP and etc. The Lord did exactly what he said ... the doors I will open.

Today SecureGive serves over 1,800 churches in America, Canada and Puerto Rico. We are a Church of God company that has clients like Elevation, New Spring, Fellowship Church, Seacoast, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Brooklyn Tab, etc. etc. In fact, we serve 34 of the top 100 churches. General Headquarters and Church of God World Missions are clients too.

What do we offer. We have online giving that allows multiple categories with one transaction, multi-site campuses, scheduled giving and complete customization.

We offer giving kiosks that collect donations from spontaneous givers while they are at church.

We offer a mobile app that can be downloaded from iTunes and Android Marketplace.

We offer a text-to-give solution that speaks to a younger generation.

I am not in the day-to-day business of SecureGive, but there is a team there to answer any of your questions. Over 75% of the employees at SecureGive are Pentecostal....most of them Stevens Creekers.

If you have specific questions, call 706-228-3210 or email: Drew (at) SecureGive.com

Where should you start? The first step is online giving. Then, you may want to grow into a giving kiosk or text-to-give.

Oh, one more thing ... the Technical Support team is led by a Clemson grad. Yes, it pains me as a Gamecock fan, but it is what it is. Smile

~Marty

Thanks Pastor Marty! I will Def be in touch soon.

Do you guys think that a new church plant should have as many giving options available as possible? I'm thinking at least having online and text to give at the beginning.

If not I am curious as to why it is not wise to have all options available in the beginning?
11/25/15 9:44 pm

Post Re: we use square card reader Josh Trammell
wayne wrote:
It was slow getting people to use it but the younger population line up to use it each service and it allows you sell things at a concession stand and if you sell shirts, books, etc. it comes in handy.

Wayne do you see that a lot of people are paying their tithes this way?
11/25/15 9:44 pm

Post One that is left out patrickballington
One method of giving that is popular at you church is automatic draft. We have a significant number who either set up automatic giving themselves through their own bank or have completed a form we provide to allow us to automatically pull from their accounts electronically. 10 of our top 20 givers use their method plus all of our staff (including me).

More and more people are "automating the important" (a phrase we use to promote it at our church). We do it with mortgages, student loans bills, car payments, insurance, etc. why not with tithes?

If the donor sets it up at their bank it is free. If they have us pull it there is a monthly flat fee for the service, but the service also allows us to pay staff by direct deposit.

40-50% of our total giving comes in electronically. We use all of the following:
Text to give
Debit/credit machines at self serve stations in the church
Automated giving

The automated giving has been incredible in leveling out peaks and valleys in our giving trends.
Friendly Face
11/26/15 8:16 am

Post Re: we use square card reader wayne
Josh Trammell wrote:
wayne wrote:
It was slow getting people to use it but the younger population line up to use it each service and it allows you sell things at a concession stand and if you sell shirts, books, etc. it comes in handy.

Wayne do you see that a lot of people are paying their tithes this way?

yes, more and more.
Acts Enthusiast
11/27/15 3:06 pm

Post Link
This is a way to pay more than the tithe of the tithe, since interest rates on tithe payments can be a lot more than 10% on a credit card.
11/28/15 10:40 pm

Post Link
If someone tithes on the card, do you make them pay the transaction fee of 1.5% or 3% or whatever the amount is on top of their tithe?

Ezra considered 1% to be usury, and that was probably simple interest.
11/28/15 10:42 pm

Post Re: Think Practically MartyBaker
Link wrote:
If someone tithes on the card, do you make them pay the transaction fee of 1.5% or 3% or whatever the amount is on top of their tithe?

Ezra considered 1% to be usury, and that was probably simple interest.

Yes, you may be correct, but you have to think practically and with balance. Some churches pay secretaries to count the money and make the deposit...your church may not have to do that... if that is the case, then digital giving will save employee costs.

A church under 100 may not need digital giving yet. There will come a time where they will be forced to consider it. Bishop Michael Baker is strongly encouraging North Georgia Churches to examine digital solutions. He feels that times have changed and congregations must use forward thinking.

In fact, at a recent North Georgia Training for pastors, a workshop on digital giving was presented. We can fight against progress or learn how to use it in a God-honoring way.

This morning I watched my wife, Patty, text in a donation during the offering. It was quick an efficient and she was able to do it with joy.

I am not pushing you to change, but to consider the fact that God can use almost anything to promote and fund his cause.

Give Him the Glory.

Marty
11/29/15 5:01 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Is there a way to take ATM debit cards without taking them as credit cards - to keep our folks from going into debt to God and the church?
12/2/15 9:54 am

Post wayne
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Is there a way to take ATM debit cards without taking them as credit cards - to keep our folks from going into debt to God and the church?

If there debit card has the mastercard symbol on it, it will come directly out of their checking. I personally don't received any finance charges when I use my debit/mastercard.
Acts Enthusiast
12/2/15 10:01 am

Post Re: Debit Cards at Church MartyBaker
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

Yes, SecureGive is one of the few companies that offers a debit-card only option. There is a difference between processing as a check card and a PIN debit card. It's the same card but the donation travels down a different path.

Several years ago, when SecureGive added a kiosk at Willow Creek, Crystal Lake, Bill Hybels was focused on debit-only. We feel that allowing check cards that can be used without PINs is the best solution, so we set it up like that. That did not fly for Willow. They wanted PIN debit only. So, a few days later we tightened it up and Willow is still debit-only today.

I love Willow Creek and their ministry, but at Stevens Creek we take it all ... check cards, debit cards, credit cards, checks, cash, jewelry, cars and land.
One thing for sure ... Willow's conservative nature has not hurt their ministry. It is thriving today.

Now, back to the subject matter. Teach your people about debt and trust that they will make good choices. At Stevens Creek, we take every method, but we have seen that 85% of the donations are from check cards. There are some who do all of their purchasing and donations with a credit card that provides points. I personally don't like that, but I am not going to put my biases on them and keep them from receiving a blessing.

Here's link from a story that ran, December 3, 2015.

http://nbc26.tv/2015/12/02/local-software-company-modernizes-giving-for-churches-nationwide/
12/3/15 9:16 am

Post Re: Debit Cards at Church Derek Parker
MartyBaker wrote:
At Stevens Creek, we take every method, but we have seen that 85% of the donations are from check cards. There are some who do all of their purchasing and donations with a credit card that provides points. I personally don't like that, but I am not going to put my biases on them and keep them from receiving a blessing.

We do all our purchasing by cc and pay it off every month. A percentage of everything we purchase on a cc goes into a 529 college savings account. We have been doing this almost 11 years and we have several thousands of dollars in it now. I would like the opportunity to put our donations on a cc for this reason.
12/3/15 2:51 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic