Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

General Assembly 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Ditto! bonnie knox
Quote:
but in my opinion this is such a cowardly thing to post under a fake name
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/21/15 11:56 pm

Post diakoneo
Devil disturber, I don't think your comment disurbed the devil. He was probably happy to hear it. It did disturb me and many other people on this board.

Think before you put something like that on a public forum. Such criticism should be taken to the person and not to a forum such as this.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/22/15 3:02 pm

Post Rick Whitter
The comment about Bishop Stephens is an indicator of why some will never be used by God to do great things. Simply by being identified as a leader, we open ourselves to scrutiny and criticism. The more recognized our position, the more intense the scrutiny and criticisms. Some are simply not willing to endure the fiery darts, so they refuse to serve.

Anyone can criticize. In fact, the less one accomplishes, the more time they have to criticize others. I admire men like Brother Stephens who can endure cheap shots and keep moving forward.
Hey, DOC
11/22/15 4:24 pm

Post Jim Stephens GO deltaman
Rick Whitter wrote:
The comment about Bishop Stephens is an indicator of why some will never be used by God to do great things. Simply by being identified as a leader, we open ourselves to scrutiny and criticism. The more recognized our position, the more intense the scrutiny and criticisms. Some are simply not willing to endure the fiery darts, so they refuse to serve.

Anyone can criticize. In fact, the less one accomplishes, the more time they have to criticize others. I admire men like Brother Stephens who can endure cheap shots and keep moving forward.

Bishop Jim Stephens is a straight up brother. He can preach and he has a heart. I will support him and encourage everyone to vote for a true leader with a strong heart and an anointed preaching!! If we want change lets go for a heart change and not just political musical chairs!
11/23/15 1:16 am

Post A few minor adjustments BromptonFalls
(First, let me chime in and say, "Poor form devildisturber!" That type of post should be prohibited)

Here is an updated list of predictions:

GO - Hill
1st Asst - Culpepper
2nd Asst - Propes
3rd Asst - Childers
Sec Gen - Stephens

Youth - Blair
Asst Youth - Bailey

World Missions - Griffis
Asst World Missions - Ramirez
11/23/15 9:28 am

Post Devil Disturber has done it again devil disturber
Apparently I have disturbed the devil. When we do not have an answer we call names. I am neither cowardly nor am I not of God. I listen and pay attention. Which seems to be not done by some on this board. The answer to my statement would be a link of Jim Stephens preaching a sermon that is well outlined, strongly biblical in content and delivered with Pentecostal passion. That is the answer that would stop any criticism.
I have openly discussed issues with overseers, youth director and others to their face when I have given them my opinion. The one thing that I have learned is that in truth leadership does not want the truth if it disagrees with their truth!. They want yes men and it will harm you if you give them your opinion.
And for the record Doyle encourages the use of names other than your own to allow open discussion on this discussion board. Now if you want to get in a name calling contest we can. Jim Stephens is a good man and has been a good leader but that does not make him a great preacher and to say so is not cowardly nor is it disrespectful of him.
11/23/15 10:19 am

Post Re: Devil Disturber has done it again deltaman
devil disturber wrote:
Apparently I have disturbed the devil. When we do not have an answer we call names. I am neither cowardly nor am I not of God. I listen and pay attention. Which seems to be not done by some on this board. The answer to my statement would be a link of Jim Stephens preaching a sermon that is well outlined, strongly biblical in content and delivered with Pentecostal passion. That is the answer that would stop any criticism.
I have openly discussed issues with overseers, youth director and others to their face when I have given them my opinion. The one thing that I have learned is that in truth leadership does not want the truth if it disagrees with their truth!. They want yes men and it will harm you if you give them your opinion.
And for the record Doyle encourages the use of names other than your own to allow open discussion on this discussion board. Now if you want to get in a name calling contest we can. Jim Stephens is a good man and has been a good leader but that does not make him a great preacher and to say so is not cowardly nor is it disrespectful of him.

Well I am not sure if I agree with you about Bishop Stephens not being a great preacher but I do agree that being a great preacher is not a qualification for being a great leader. I would also say that, in my opinion, being a popular entertainer and story teller also does not make for a great leader or a great preacher. For all those promoting Bishop Hill for GO on the basis of him being a great preacher may be disappointed to find that some of his sermons are not biblical or theologically sound, but they are entertaining, for example "The Amos Paradigm" and the message of sowing and reaping is taken out of context. Makes for a good entertaining message but not theologically sound. So, if we want to make being a 'good preacher' the primary qualification for our GO then we may have to go outside any of the current 'popular' names being promoted........
11/23/15 10:31 am

Post bonnie knox
devil disturber, you indicated that you thought J. Stephens wasn't qualified to be GO. No, you didn't break Acts terms of use by use an anonymous pen name. But to characterize what you did as a cowardly thing to do is stating my opinion (which isn't against the rules either). I've never heard J Stephens preach, so I'm not here to try to prove that he is or isn't a good preacher. I've only had a few interactions with him and that's been here on Acts. I've heard lots of good things about him here on Acts, and I've been impressed with his willingness to dialogue here. I've only know him to be gracious and helpful in his conversation on Acts.
Of course, you, devil disturber, can try to deflect by saying this can be solved by evaluating one of Stephens' sermons. How good a preacher he is is not the issue at all. Your ways are the issue under criticism. You are speaking with a forked tongue: just take a look at how you've contradicted yourself in just 2 posts.
devil disturber wrote:
Also, Jim is a great team member but I have not seen strong leadership qualities from him.

devil disturber wrote:
Jim Stephens is a good man and has been a good leader but that does not make him a great preacher and to say so is not cowardly nor is it disrespectful of him.

That's to say nothing of your opinion that a person must preach the way you think is good in order to be a good leader.
devil disturber wrote:
In the COG one must be able to preach to lead (IMHO).
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/23/15 11:35 am

Post Not forked tongue devil disturber
But my use of the term good does give uncertain meaning. I was trying to moderate my critique. It is amazing to me the statements that are thrown out by this board and then my opinion of one man's sermon becomes an attack forum. Forgive me for having an opinion of actscelerate's golden boy because he posts on here. I certainly am not the only one who has this opinion, but apparently I am the only one willing to share it. I voted for Jim Stephens to be on the committee but I can not see him as a General Overseer, but if he did become General Overseer I would not be upset or feel disappointed. I will vote for him again, but that will not change my opinion of his preaching - again - in my humble opinion.
In regard to Tim Hill, I heard him preach the Amos Paradigm and other sermons, I can think of nothing that was unbiblical nor out of context.
11/23/15 12:38 pm

Post Re: Not forked tongue deltaman
devil disturber wrote:
But my use of the term good does give uncertain meaning. I was trying to moderate my critique. It is amazing to me the statements that are thrown out by this board and then my opinion of one man's sermon becomes an attack forum. Forgive me for having an opinion of actscelerate's golden boy because he posts on here. I certainly am not the only one who has this opinion, but apparently I am the only one willing to share it. I voted for Jim Stephens to be on the committee but I can not see him as a General Overseer, but if he did become General Overseer I would not be upset or feel disappointed. I will vote for him again, but that will not change my opinion of his preaching - again - in my humble opinion.
In regard to Tim Hill, I heard him preach the Amos Paradigm and other sermons, I can think of nothing that was unbiblical nor out of context.

Perhaps a refresher course in Hermeneutics 101 (that is if you have studied hermeneutics) and a basic class room setting critical Homiletical course (something other than at home CIMS study) would give you a better understanding of 'biblical' interpretation and preaching. The Amos Paradigm was an entertaining piece of literature and persuasive southern humour. Coupled with a few old fashioned southern gospel favorites and you have a resounding applause for a very south eastern USA ear tingling event.
11/23/15 12:53 pm

Post Re: Not forked tongue bonnie knox
Perhaps you are really naïve enough to think you just made an innocent little comment about someone's preaching style and quality. Are you aware that by posting that particular opinion on this particular thread and by tying it into qualifications for leadership, it looks like you are campaigning against him?
I don't have skin in the game: I don't know any of these people apart from Acts; I will not be voting; Stephens is not my "golden boy."

devil disturber wrote:
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/23/15 1:15 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Hey - none of the guys is Ray Hughes at preaching - so since they are all second place or worse - might as well get the best leader and not worry about preaching.
11/23/15 2:24 pm

Post deltaman
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Hey - none of the guys is Ray Hughes at preaching - so since they are all second place or worse - might as well get the best leader and not worry about preaching.

That would be Jim Stephens, my point made and my first choice.
11/23/15 3:41 pm

Post diakoneo
I wonder if the Apostle Paul would have been what we consider "a great preacher"? It seems from some of his writings(and a story in Acts where someone fell asleep and out a window during his sermon) that many preferred Apollos preaching to Paul. Yet he certainly was a great leader and trail-blazer for sure. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/23/15 9:56 pm

Post Consistency of Leadership StandardAnswer
At the end of the day, while an individuals speaking ability is important to inspire, motivate, cast vision and sort of rally the troops, it is the consistency of one's leadership that wins the day and endures him to people looking to and willing to be led. Both individuals mentioned in the recent posts on this thread, at least in my opinion have exemplified this quality. Dr. Stephens, from his days in Youth & CE and on through State Overseer work and now at the EC level, seems to display the consistency quality. This is certainly the case with Dr. Hill. Without question, his communication gifts have opened for him many doors within and beyond CoG ministry, as has been noticed. However, that's obviously happened before for others. The "consistency in quality leadership factor", again in my opinion is the "difference maker". From his time as a Pastor through State and Executive Committee work and now as Director of World Missions, Hill's leadership quality and steady hand reputation has been his greatest and most noted quality. Member
11/25/15 9:25 am

Post Possible future General overseer Restorationman
I'm thankful we have many qualified leaders that I know of in the COG! However, it's refreshing to see a leader like Dr. Tim Hill who not only has the ability to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars within the COG but has kingdom relationships outside the movement that has fostered increase as well and assisted COG missionaries ! He is proven as a successful pastor, Evangelist, state overseer, executive committee member, and most of all a great ministry to her who is a strong creature of the word! Also, his books and songs have been a blessing to many in the COG and the kingdom at large! The COG would be blessed if in the future God would allow Dr. Hill to lead in any capacity in the COG and most definitely as a GO of the church! Friendly Face
11/25/15 11:22 am

Post Re: Possible future General overseer Restorationman
Restorationman wrote:
I'm thankful we have many qualified leaders that I know of in the COG! However, it's refreshing to see a leader like Dr. Tim Hill who not only has the ability to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars within the COG but has kingdom relationships outside the movement that has fostered increase as well and assisted COG missionaries ! He is proven as a successful pastor, Evangelist, state overseer, executive committee member, and most of all a great minister who is a strong preacher of the word! Also, his books and songs have been a blessing to many in the COG and the kingdom at large! The COG would be blessed if in the future God would allow Dr. Hill to lead in any capacity in the COG and most definitely as a GO of the church!
Friendly Face
11/25/15 11:37 am

Post I think I'm missing something-- bonnie knox
Quote:
..most of all a great ministry to her who is a strong creature of the word...

Question
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/25/15 12:24 pm

Post Possible Future General overseer Restorationman
Very sorry I thought I auto corrected that to say strong preacher of the word hopefully this will help you to understand the context in which I was trying to write sorry about the oversight Friendly Face
11/25/15 2:18 pm

Post bonnie knox
okay, got it now [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/25/15 2:23 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic