Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

After a rough day in the ER; Code Blues, several deaths, families in grief, at midnight I headed home but...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post After a rough day in the ER; Code Blues, several deaths, families in grief, at midnight I headed home but... doyle
On an average day at our hospital, there are 70 to 90 ambulances rushing people to our Emergency Room. About 250 patients a day come through the ER waiting room, in addition to the patients ambulances bring.

There had been seven Code Blues (cardiac arrest) and several patients had died as a result. Four or five patients had suffered a stroke and like in any hospital, there are all kinds of other malady's. As I left the Emergency Room near midnight and headed home after a 16-hour day, two young women were standing outside having a smoke.

I said "hello" and started to walk by them, but one stepped out of the shadows and asked, "Are you the Chaplain?"

She may have seen me inside or noticed my ID badge which has my first name and "Chaplain" on it. I stopped and replied, "Yes. I'm a Chaplain. My name is Doyle. What's yours?"

Suddenly, she began to tear up and within seconds burst into tears. She dropped the cigarette and crushed it with her foot. With tears streaming down her face, and in a pleading voice she asked, "Chaplain, would you please pray for my family. We're a mess."

Without me having time to reply, she said, "My brother is homeless because of drugs. My sister is a prostitute and she has found out that she's pregnant. She's not sure which of her 'friends" is the father and she don't know if she should keep the baby or not."

"And me," she sobbed. "My life is a total mess - her voice faded slightly as she muttered softly..."A bigger mess than I have time to tell."

At least a thousand times over a lifetime of ministry, like you, I have often quoted the Lord's promise to "Never leave you nor forsake you." It is absolutely ASTOUNDING how powerful that promise is in an Emergency Room setting. It works to calm people in chaos as much as it does in church - even more meaningful when people are in a desperate situation.

It doesn't promise healing. It doesn't promise status. It doesn't promise major financial blessings. That particular Scripture simply promises that He will be present with us. From the Old Testament we find a similar text, "God is a present help in trouble."

Taking a step toward the young woman, I said, "Dear" (older preachers can call people 'dear,'), "I absolutely will pray for your family and for you. Is it OK if we pray together right now, right here?"

"Yes, she said, "I would like that."

Not knowing if she had ever had someone pray for her before, I asked if I could place my hand on her head or shoulder as I prayed. If she had been alone, I would not have done that.

"We call that laying-on-of-hands," I shared.

"I'm OK with it," she said.

And there, within a few yards of the Emergency Room entrance, with her cigarette still smoldering at our feet, I laid hands on Tanya and prayed for her family and for her. I called out her brother's name (she had told me his name), and her sister's name.

I asked God to change their thinking, to wake them up and show them there is a better way to live. I must have prayed half of the four Gospels; prayed and thanked God for Jesus coming from heaven to earth, for teaching us how to live, for his death the Cross, for Him shedding His blood for our sin, for the resurrection and for the hope of eternal life.

She looked into my eyes and said, "Would you please pray for our Mama? She's at home. She is so heartsick because we children have turned out so bad." So we prayed for Mama too.

If searching for someone with FAITH, we might overlook a young woman standing outside the ER having a smoke. The incident took place because of her faith, not mine. Had she not called out, I would have passed without noticing her since it was midnight and the lights are rather dim in that area. She didn't look like someone with faith, but she had enough to ask for prayer. Scripture says, "Ask and you shall receive."

Fellow ministers will know what I mean by this. After such a long day on my feet, I was dragging as I left the ER and headed home. But after that prayer, after praying with someone who was desperate, it was like "fire shut up in my bones."

I had trouble going to sleep that night, not because of tiredness but because of being blessed once again with the opportunity to minister to someone in trouble. Oh my goodness! For we ministers, there is absolutely nothing more meaningful than that. It is what our life and our Calling is about.

A minister may be involved in all kinds of religious things, administrative duties, making sure the church is clean, helping mow the lawn, recruiting teachers for the children, painting some of the Sunday School rooms and all the important things pastors do to help keep a church going.

It can be physically exhausting and mentally draining, but meet somebody who needs prayer, somebody who needs the Lord in their life, someone who is receptive to the sermon or altar call, and all the "stuff" we do, melts into the background. It is still important, but the priority for our very life, is brought into focus as we minister to those whom the Lord Jesus brings into our path.

Have no fear my weary minister friend. You are Called of God and He will bring into your path, those who need all the ministry for which you have prepared. When that happens, you will not have to gulp down a 5-hour energy drink. You will be sky high with enthusiasm. It only takes one to make it all seem worthwhile, but beware, the one with faith may not look like someone with it.

Together with you in the Lord's harvest.

Doyle

Last edited by doyle on 11/8/15 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerate Owner
11/6/15 10:44 pm

Post Cojak
Thanks for the post Doyle. What a story. One I am sure could be shared a thousand times, if the person saw we were a person of prayer.

I was about to go to bed as I skimmed the subject once more and this one jumped out. I have passed it just 5 minutes ago. I am glad I stopped by.
THANKS!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/6/15 11:30 pm

Post Cojak
A admirable ministry. Cool
11/6/15 11:31 pm

Post UncleJD
I have no words

Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/7/15 10:30 am

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
Thank you for sharing a beautiful testimony. You were at the right place at the right time and then God giving you a boost of energy to help and encourage you. Friendly Face
11/7/15 10:48 am

Post How great is that! spartanfan
Pure religion - ministry to the downtrodden and poor (in spirit). I love it! Keep up the good work - great will be your reward. Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
11/7/15 11:30 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Thanks for being there and offering hope and healing to a hurting soul. Imagine how many people we pass like that every day! I'm sure it's things like this that keep you doing what you're doing. (And thankful that you are not limited in your role as a chaplain as some hospitals do.)
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/7/15 11:38 am

Post diakoneo
Thanks, AWESOME testimony! Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/7/15 1:10 pm

Post Thanks Doyle JLarry
I have known Doyle since the 70's. I have been with him several times in the past years. Doyle has preached in my pulpit. Now that space has separated us, I do not get to see Doyle. But this is the Doyle I remember. A friend, a brother and most important a Man of God.

Thanks for sharing this Brother. You have encouraged me many times over the years and I do not know if I have thanked you, so this is a good time to do so.

Doyle is one of those who always makes you feel special. As a young pastor of a small church Doyle made me feel like I was just as important as an executive in the General Headquarters where he worked.

So I can imagine he made this young lady feel like she was special. What a gift, what a man.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
11/7/15 2:06 pm

Post Re: Thanks Doyle Cojak
JLarry wrote:
I have known Doyle since the 70's. I have been with him several times in the past years. Doyle has preached in my pulpit. Now that space has separated us, I do not get to see Doyle. But this is the Doyle I remember. A friend, a brother and most important a Man of God.

Thanks for sharing this Brother. You have encouraged me many times over the years and I do not know if I have thanked you, so this is a good time to do so.

Doyle is one of those who always makes you feel special. As a young pastor of a small church Doyle made me feel like I was just as important as an executive in the General Headquarters where he worked.

So I can imagine he made this young lady feel like she was special. What a gift, what a man.

(I just wanted to tell you JLarry, thanks for that, it made me feel good!) Thumb Up
11/7/15 3:00 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic