Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Did he or didn't he?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Did he or didn't he? BrassyTrumpet
I have an easy one for all you seminary-trained Bible scholars out there ... and those with good old common horse sense.

1Ch 17:6b states that Jehoshaphat removed the high places from Judah. Then the account states in 20:33 that these high places were not removed.

I'm aware of a number of possible explanations, such as:
    - 1Ch 17 occurs at the beginning of Jehoshaphat's reign and 1Ch 20 is at the end; therefore, they were probably rebuilt in the interim period.
    - that these were speaking of different geographical locations (yeah, OK.....).
    - Etc., etc., etc.

I realize that this apparent "discrepancy" neither helps nor hinders the central message of God's Word. I also know that every "discrepancy" in the Bible can be adequately addressed through sound biblical scholarship. Perhaps this answer shall forever lie hidden in the centuries of transcription and translation of this wonderful Book. So, my query is essentially to satisfy my own nagging curiosity and nothing more.
10/21/15 12:38 am

Post I don't know but..... spartanfan
when I need to look at a lot of different commentaries to see if there is a consensus opinion I go to places like biblehub.com commmentaries . They (reading many of the comments that compare the 2 scriptures) say things like:

1) 1 Kings 22:43...The high places were not taken away.—This agrees with 2Chronicles 20:33, and stands in apparent contradiction with 2Chronicles 17:6 : “He took away the high places and groves out of Judah.” Probably the key to the apparent discrepancy lies in the words “and groves” (Asherah). The high places taken away were those connected with the base Asherah worship; those which were simply unauthorised sanctuaries remained, at any rate in part. (Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers)

2) 1 Kings 22:43...The high places were not taken away.

Object. It is said he did take them away, 2 Chronicles 17:6.

Answer: He took away those which were erected to idols; of which he seems to speak there, because the high places are there joined with groves, which were generally erected to idols, and not to the true God, as will appear to any one that shall compare all the scriptures where groves are mentioned; but he could not take away those which were erected to the true God, of which this; place manifestly speaks; as also that parallel place 1 Kings 15:14, where See Poole "1 Kings 15:14". Or he took them away, but not fully; or not in the very beginning of his reign. (Matthew Poole's Commentary)

Many of them distinguish between the high places with groves and the high places for the worship of the Lord that were used before the Temple was built. If there were 2 kinds of high places as many of them suggest (not just the 2 mentioned) then there is no contradiction.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
10/21/15 7:26 am

Post Now that you put it like that... BrassyTrumpet
That seems straight forward enough. Thank you kindly for your insight.
10/21/15 8:28 am

Post Ventureforth
This is an interesting question. I was looking through commentaries.
Here's one possibility. Perhaps this is more toward Spartafan's statement:
Quote:
Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers on 2 Chron. 20:33
Howbeit the high places were not taken away.—This is no contradiction of 2Chronicles 17:6, “And further (or again), he took away the high places.” There the holy places of heathenism, here those of the illegal worship of Jehovah, appear to be meant.

Here's another possibility:
Quote:
Pulpit Commentary
Verse 33. - Howbeit the high places... the people had not prepared. The statements so precisely made in this verse evidently serve the purpose of distinguishing between the wishes and orders of the king and the unequal conduct of his people.
Acts-celerater
10/21/15 4:20 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic