Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Nigerian Lee student in custody for making threat (L)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Clint Wills
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I wouldn't say his life is over. If it is obvious that it was a prank and he has no prior record and the fact that terrorists don't turn themselves in, he may have a chance.

This is what I was thinking. Ultimately it is in the hands of the federal attorney's office. My brother-in-law is a cop and he told me that he arrested someone on a class A felony last Friday, but that by the time the DA's actually prosecuted him it would likely be for a lesser crime. There was also a case locally where a guy chased a criminal and held him at gunpoint. That is not TECHNICALLY legal, but the DAs office chose not to prosecute him because the spirit of what he did was right.
The attorneys office may decide to charge him with a lesser crime that wouldn't label him a terrorist. That said, chances are that it will still end up a felony. Either way, it's a tough lesson to learn.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/14/15 1:31 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I wouldn't say his life is over. If it is obvious that it was a prank and he has no prior record and the fact that terrorists don't turn themselves in, he may have a chance.

If he is not charged with everything in the book, it will be a miracle from God. The conviction rate for federal prosecutors is 99% because they charge you with everything they possibly can and then virtually force you into plea bargaining to a felony charge with a handful of years in prison. If that does not happen to him, for what he did, it will be an absolute miracle from God. I'm not saying it should happen -- I don't think it should -- but that's how the federal government (and state governments, which have a 97% conviction rate) operates.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/14/15 1:33 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Clint Wills wrote:
There was also a case locally where a guy chased a criminal and held him at gunpoint. That is not TECHNICALLY legal, but the DAs office chose not to prosecute him because the spirit of what he did was right.

Prosecutorial discretion is almost completely dead in the US. DAs want to rack up charges and convictions so they can look good to voters and politicians. The DA you're describing is a rare breed and is deserving of much honor.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/14/15 1:33 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I'm praying for this young man who made a decision using his underdeveloped brain. Acts-pert Poster
10/14/15 1:34 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I'm praying for this young man who made a decision using his underdeveloped brain.

Me too. It would be a miracle if his life is not over, but God works miracles today. I am thankful for the reports from Phil and NBF, which have filled me with compassion toward this young man.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/14/15 1:50 pm

Post Clint Wills
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Clint Wills wrote:
There was also a case locally where a guy chased a criminal and held him at gunpoint. That is not TECHNICALLY legal, but the DAs office chose not to prosecute him because the spirit of what he did was right.

Prosecutorial discretion is almost completely dead in the US. DAs want to rack up charges and convictions so they can look good to voters and politicians. The DA you're describing is a rare breed and is deserving of much honor.

I live in a pretty consevative town where the guy would be applauded for doing what he did...the DA was still acting politically. He's a complete joke of a DA and has ZERO courtroom experience in his life...he's a politician, not an attorney.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/14/15 1:54 pm

Post Link
Is he over 18?
10/14/15 2:10 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Clint Wills wrote:
I live in a pretty consevative town where the guy would be applauded for doing what he did...the DA was still acting politically. He's a complete joke of a DA and has ZERO courtroom experience in his life...he's a politician, not an attorney.

I tried to find a decent DA in your story. Sad
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/14/15 2:22 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I think he is 18 or 19. Acts-pert Poster
10/14/15 2:51 pm

Post HighFive
Eddie Robbins wrote:

I am not sure of your age but where you part of the group of guys who played some pretty damaging pranks at the Georgia senior youth camp at the campground in 1973? I was head counselor for the boys and member of the state youth board. Kelland Jeffords was state youth director. Several of the guys from Doraville and at least one from Alma was in that group. It was like bad. I decided in that camp at 33 years old that it would be my last. I could give you some names privately. I was instrumental in keeping some of the naughty boys from playing on the all-star softball game against the counsellors as well as other awards. Some of them have not forgotten it until this day. You may be a little young to have been in that group.
10/14/15 7:55 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I was at Lee in 1972. I'll be 61 in December. Acts-pert Poster
10/14/15 8:20 pm

Post HighFive
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I was at Lee in 1972. I'll be 61 in December.

I wasn't trying to hijack this thread. Just thinking about pranks young people play without always understanding the collateral effect.
10/14/15 8:30 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic