Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

"Are you Glad to Be God's House Tonight?"

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post "Are you Glad to Be God's House Tonight?" Link
I remember one of the adults telling the children when I was a kid, "Don't run in God's house".

I think every one of us who reads the Bible see a problem with calling the church building, "God's house." Stephen said that the most High did not dwell in temples made with human hands. The heavens could not contain Him.

But He did cause His name to dwell in Jerusalem, in the temple. And rival locations were called 'high places' and when the kings didn't tear down the high places, that was not good.

Are we treating our church buildings like 'high places' when we revere them by calling the "God's house".

Paul told the Corinthians that 'ye are God's building'.

The quote in the title is a better thing to say in in a church meeting, than "Aren't you glad to be in God's house tonight?" You can say it without the 'in', draw attention to what you said and explain that we are the church, the Lord's building.
10/3/15 1:39 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Psalm 122:1 What does this verse mean? Acts-pert Poster
10/3/15 2:16 pm

Post Link
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Psalm 122:1 What does this verse mean?

I'm absolutely sure David wasn't talking about going to a church building in Georgia or Alabama. There was the tabernacle, and for a while David had the ark in a separate location, but my guess would be the tabernacle, the tent of meeting. I don't believe he was talking about one of the 'high places'.
10/3/15 3:20 pm

Post when going to someone's house muricewatsonsfriend
when we go to someone's house, e.g. the Jones', it is understood that the brick and mortar aren't the Jones'. but i understand the point. i think we can make too much or too little of the gathering place.
- Darius
Acts-celerater
10/6/15 10:11 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Pendulum has swung too far to making everything non reverent.

If a building has been dedicated for God's use - why wouldn't it be called God's house?

I got no problem with taking care of God's house, God's minivan, God's youth camp facilities, etc...
10/6/15 11:37 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

If a building has been dedicated for God's use - why wouldn't it be called God's house?

I got no problem with taking care of God's house, God's minivan, God's youth camp facilities, etc...

Thumb Up Thumb Up
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/6/15 12:06 pm

Post Link

I'm thinking of all the kids who grow up hearing church is "God's house." I've heard adults talking about believing God lived in the church building when they were children.

Do you call your own house "God's house"? Do you call the church van "God's van"? It's probably okay if you explain it.

Some people do think of the church building with a kind of temple/holy place mentality.
10/6/15 1:06 pm

Post Eddie Robbins

And much more than those things, the Temple of the Holy Spirit, our bodies. It's time to stop trashing them.
Acts-pert Poster
10/6/15 1:36 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic