Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Tenure Question

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Tenure Question John V. Morgan
In the Church of God Book of Minutes, under the heading S7. General Overseer (Presiding Bishop), I. Selection, number 2 is this statement: "He shall be elected for a four-year term and shall be eligible to serve no more than eight consecutive years in this office or on the Executive Committee." (emphasis added)

Does this mean that, at the next General Assembly, should someone be elected to this office who is NOT currently on the Executive Committee, he would then be eligible to serve for eight consecutive years...AND, should someone be elected in an assistant overseer position (since the language is the same) he would be eligible to serve in that position for eight years, but then not be eligible to move into the top position because of tenure limitations?

This is how I read it - but just wondering if I am missing something.
9/28/15 7:46 am

Post drmrc
You are correct. If a person who is not currently on the executive committee is elected as General Overseer, he be in a position to be the longest serving Overseer since A. J. Tomlinson. He will leave a huge "finger print" on the Church of God.

Whoever this may be, I pray that he will be a man of absolute integrity, vision, and courage.

Mike Chapman
Friendly Face
9/29/15 7:12 am

Post Eddie Robbins
drmrc wrote:
You are correct. If a person who is not currently on the executive committee is elected as General Overseer, he be in a position to be the longest serving Overseer since A. J. Tomlinson. He will leave a huge "finger print" on the Church of God.

Whoever this may be, I pray that he will be a man of absolute integrity, vision, and courage.

Mike Chapman

Oh...that was your signature line. I thought it was a suggestion of who should be the next GO. Surprised

In all seriousness, this is weighing on the current EC, I believe. They are very aware of how important this next Assembly is. How important do they think it is? I got a message from one asking me to pray for them for the upcoming Assembly. Me! They must be very serious! Very Happy
Acts-pert Poster
9/29/15 7:48 am

Post John Jett
Without saying who, I'm partial to one who might fit that bill. Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
9/29/15 12:52 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:
drmrc wrote:

Mike Chapman

Oh...that was your signature line. I thought it was a suggestion of who should be the next GO. Surprised

In all seriousness, this is weighing on the current EC, I believe. They are very aware of how important this next Assembly is. How important do they think it is? I got a message from one asking me to pray for them for the upcoming Assembly. Me! They must be very serious! Very Happy

How long does it take to become an Ordained Bishop - do I have time to get it done so I can vote next time?
9/29/15 1:08 pm

Post John V. Morgan
I'm reminded of a line from an Indiana Jones movie - "You must choose...but choose wisely." New Member
9/29/15 6:14 pm

Post I understand term limits, but... Aaron Scott
I wonder how much of this is a reaction to AJT?

In MY OPINION, a General Overseer (or other Executive) should be permitted to serve for the first two terms on a simple majority, then be permitted to CONTINUE AS LONG AS ELECTED by some pre-determined super-majority.

For instance, a man is elected two consecutive terms. He serves for eight years. HOWEVER, if at the next General Assembly, he receives at least, say, 60% of the vote (or maybe 66%), then he would be permitted to serve an unlimited number of terms PROVIDING he gets at least 66% of the vote.

He can withdraw his name, of course.

If he gets, say, 52% of the vote--not enough to continue--his name would be dropped and, say, the next five highest vote-getters would go into a run-off (dropping off the lowest vote-getter each time UNTIL one person gets a majority).

There you go. Fixed it.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/29/15 6:32 pm

Post deltaman
John V. Morgan wrote:
I'm reminded of a line from an Indiana Jones movie - "You must choose...but choose wisely."

if only this was possible, sadly it seems we are moved more by 'political favors' and southern humor than wisdom and spirituality. Often this is reflected in the number of bishops registered for GA and the number who actually vote.
9/29/15 7:59 pm

Post caveator
If one looks at the quality of leadership of World Missions, you will get an indication of what the leadership of the next general overseer will look like. Acts-celerater
10/4/15 5:49 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic