Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Did Carly destroy HP? (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Did Carly destroy HP? (L) Dave Dorsey
Nope.

Was she the best CEO in history? Nope. But HP's experience under Fiorina matches what was happening in the rest of the industry at the time.

An uninformed observer might note that the stock begin ticking up after Fiorina was forced out. The immediate effect is likely due to shareholder relief that the person in charge was changing. However, the long-term increase in value following Fiorina's departure is a direct result of her wager to buy Compaq beginning to pay off, a move that was derided as a failure when she was forced out.

More here: http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-09-18/carly-fiorina-s-hewlett-packard-record-in-one-chart

And here: http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/09/this-chart-clears-up-carly-fiorinas-hp-record/
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/20/15 7:27 am

Post c6thplayer1
The computing field is a gamble in all aspects. No one can precisely predict the market considering all the competition.

Changing the direction of big companies is like trying to turn a steam boat around in a creek. It takes a lot of time and a lot of leadership from everyone.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/20/15 8:58 am

Post John Jett
I didn't like the purchase of Compaq when it happened, but over the years our company has benefited greatly by our use of the Compaq Proliant server line. C6th is right, the entire industry was in turmoil in those years and for most of the first decade of the 21st. At the time she had to gauge the industry and whether they should continue investment into large monolithic proprietary systems such as HP-UX and the PA-RISC, or move toward smaller, more open-systems that could run Linux or Windows. Although as a systems engineer I preferred HP-UX, her decision was ultimately the correct one. Business have by-and-large abandoned the more reliable and specialized systems for the cheaper and virtualized systems of today. I doubt HP would have survived this long without the choices made in those days. Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
9/20/15 10:19 am

Post Eddie Robbins
One thing's for sure. When someone gets close to the top, the sharks come out. Acts-pert Poster
9/20/15 10:27 am

Post Cojak
c6thplayer1 wrote:
The computing field is a gamble in all aspects. No one can precisely predict the market considering all the competition.

Changing the direction of big companies is like trying to turn a steam boat around in a creek. It takes a lot of time and a lot of leadership from everyone.

Thumb Up The result is what you make of it. It went down. (so did a bunch of others) it lived (some didn't) It is still here I even buy their product. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/20/15 1:49 pm

Post Link
The stock market lost a lot of market capitalization with the tech boom, and that chart probably looks like the stock price of tech companies in general. They should come up with a chart on the value of HP stock as a percentage of the value of tech company stock values in general. If you average in the small companies that went bankrupt, it may look like the stock value went way up.

What would also be useful would be the stock price from further back in the chart, say 1994 or 1995 or so.
9/20/15 2:05 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Carly sounds just like Obama.

Things went bad - but it wasn't my fault.

I've had enough of excuse makers.

I want someone that has accomplished something...in spite of tough times.
9/20/15 7:50 pm

Post John Jett
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Carly sounds just like Obama.

Things went bad - but it wasn't my fault.

I've had enough of excuse makers.

I want someone that has accomplished something...in spite of tough times.

Trump made lots of money off a lot of people putting their families through tough times.

Carly sounds nothing like Obama, she is a lifelong private-sector business woman. Obama never did a thing in the private sector. That comparison is silly.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
9/20/15 7:53 pm

Post diakoneo
Let's face it. Trump or Fiorina...neither are very good ideas!

Fiorina is "not that bad" at business it turns out. We don't need a consolation prize who is a great speaker/sales person, we need a great leader. If she were a great CEO, she would not have been fired. If she were a great CEO that happened (because of political reasons) to be fired, other companies would have been knocking her door down to hire her!

Trump is Trump. Mr. Bankruptcy. Do we really need him to tackle our 18 TRILLION dollar debt. I am sure he would double down.

Both should be disqualified BECAUSE of their business experience, NOT qualified.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
9/20/15 10:30 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Jj...I guess their words mean nothing to you. They both blame circumstances beyond their control for failure. The only comparison is Obama won a Senate election. Fiorina lost her election.

She should be a speech writer for the rep nominee...because she is good with words.
9/20/15 10:31 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
If she were a great CEO, she would not have been fired. If she were a great CEO that happened (because of political reasons) to be fired, other companies would have been knocking her door down to hire her!

Not necessarily. The market for great CEO's might not have been larger than the supply of great CEO's. And probably being fired (even for political reasons) in itself is a bit of a liability on the resume. We could speculate about that, I guess, but if I had to guess who could work better with the opposite party to actually get things accomplished in DC, I'd take Fiorina over Trump any day.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/21/15 7:07 am

Post diakoneo
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:
If she were a great CEO, she would not have been fired. If she were a great CEO that happened (because of political reasons) to be fired, other companies would have been knocking her door down to hire her!

Not necessarily. The market for great CEO's might not have been larger than the supply of great CEO's. And probably being fired (even for political reasons) in itself is a bit of a liability on the resume. We could speculate about that, I guess, but if I had to guess who could work better with the opposite party to actually get things accomplished in DC, I'd take Fiorina over Trump any day.

I don't think anyone believes she was a great CEO. She did not run the company in the ground. She wasn't that bad. It is my understanding that as CEO she made great efforts to change the culture. One of the things she did was replace the founders pictures with her own. Perhaps she is not that different from Trump? Smile
9/21/15 7:27 am

Post (img) bonnie knox
Quote:
Perhaps she is not that different from Trump?

[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/21/15 7:40 am

Post diakoneo
It takes a certain attitude and persona to reach that level in business. If it is true that she took pictures of the founders of a large established company down and exchanged hers...

Trump lacks wisdom. His ego outruns his brain most of the time. Some people can keep an ego in check.

I imagine it takes quite an ego to run for high office to begin with. That is what probably set Dr. Carson apart from the others. Carson seems to be rather bumble. Jimmy Carter was too though and look how that turned out Sad
9/21/15 8:59 am

Post Ventureforth
diakoneo wrote:
Carson seems to be rather bumble.

Question

He didn't give me that impression. Very Happy
But he does seem humble.

I don't know. Maybe that's a refreshing change from the same old order of business.
But hopefully, he's a student of history.
Just thinking out loud, so to speak.
Acts-celerater
9/21/15 2:53 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
There's a lot of folks on Acts that seem rather bumble imho.

I'm thinking you Aaron Scott!
9/21/15 3:03 pm

Post bonnie knox
Ventureforth wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

Question

But he does seem humble.

I don't know. Maybe that's a refreshing change from the same old order of business.

He is unusually soft spoken, and I think some people mistake that for humility.
I think he thinks pretty highly of his abilities. He is not arrogant or abrasive, though.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/21/15 3:24 pm

Post Re: (img) Cojak
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps she is not that different from Trump?

Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/21/15 5:41 pm

Post Ventureforth
bonnie knox wrote:
Ventureforth wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

Question

But he does seem humble.

He is unusually soft spoken, and I think some people mistake that for humility.
I think he thinks pretty highly of his abilities. He is not arrogant or abrasive, though.

I noticed during the debates he didn't seem rattled or intimidated by any of the questions or candidates. I think one can be confident and humble at the same time. It's possible he'll have to work to convey that he can't be pushed around while at the same time avoid overcompensating. Just a thought.
I'll look for how he works through the issues later on.
Acts-celerater
9/21/15 9:59 pm

Post diakoneo
Bumble=diakoneo
humble=Dr. Carson

Very Happy

What I get for trying to post on my phone Shocked
9/21/15 10:45 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic