Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Remember when "Cutting Edge" was the latest Convention Songbook

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Remember when "Cutting Edge" was the latest Convention Songbook Old Time Country Preacher
Like when we had the most recent edition of the convention songbook and the other churches on the district didn't.

I remember one time the latest edition of the convention book was yeller. So when folk would git up to sing, the choir director would say "Page 73 in the Yeller Book." But then the next edition come out an it was blue. We had been sangin outta the blue one fer a few weeks an had a fellowship meetin at another church on the district, an they only had the yeller book. Yep, we went back to our church thinkin, "Son, we cuttin edge with this new blue book."
Acts-pert Poster
9/17/15 6:52 pm

Post Cojak
Yep, it was always good to keep at least one back up.

I always thought it was funny. we would sing about 10 of the 70-100 songs in the book. My past time in church was to count the songs written by the men and women I knew.

I remember telling T.N WArd I was worried about him. I saw his name in the Hymnal, and I thought that was the song book where the Dead writers songs were. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/17/15 11:19 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Cojak wrote:
I remember telling T.N WArd I was worried about him. I saw his name in the Hymnal, and I thought that was the song book where the Dead writers songs were. Embarassed

Was TN Ward the feller what went around holdin the music teachin schools?

When I was a little feller he come to ma church an Mon-Fri, 7-9, the singers/musicians came out, learned new songs an practiced. Then we got a break on Sat night. Then Sunday AM/PM the new songs was sung, an TN Ward preached. Any a yall ever use Bro Ward?
Acts-pert Poster
9/18/15 12:55 am

Post Cojak
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Cojak wrote:

Was TN Ward the feller what went around holdin the music teachin schools?

When I was a little feller he come to ma church an Mon-Fri, 7-9, the singers/musicians came out, learned new songs an practiced. Then we got a break on Sat night. Then Sunday AM/PM the new songs was sung, an TN Ward preached. Any a yall ever use Bro Ward?

There was Two of the Ward brothers. Both much older than I, and both wrote music and held short 'music schools', big on four part harmony. I cannot remember T.N.'s brother's name. He had a cabin on the NC campground.
9/18/15 8:26 am

Post bonnie knox
Remember when cutting edge was

toilet paper on a roll
    flush toilets
    a Kelvinator
    'lectric lights
    automatic transmissions
    using olive oil for something besides anointing oil
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/18/15 9:15 am

bonnie knox wrote:
Remember when cutting edge was

toilet paper on a roll
    flush toilets
    a Kelvinator
    'lectric lights
    automatic transmissions
    using olive oil for something besides anointing oil

I remember when I was about 12 or 13 an seen at Pompeii Olive Oil in the grocery store. I couldn't believe, cause I thought it come straight from heaven. Only place I had ever seen it was on the Bible stand at church.
Acts-pert Poster
9/18/15 9:50 am

Post bonnie knox
Yes, when I finally got past feeling sacrilegious and actually bought some for personal use in cooking, I was totally amazed at how pleasant it tasted and how light it smelled compared to that in the ridged bottle that had been sitting for years on that wooden pulpit. Shocked [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/18/15 9:57 am

Post Cojak

I remember when I was about 12 or 13 an seen at Pompeii Olive Oil in the grocery store. I couldn't believe, cause I thought it come straight from heaven. Only place I had ever seen it was on the Bible stand at church.

I reckon every COG kid thought the same. Smile
9/18/15 5:45 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Cojak wrote:

Yep, I did too. In fact, I shared a pic of it on the Memories page for the NCCOG campgrounds FB page. Are you a member of that, Cojak?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/18/15 6:03 pm

Post Cojak
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Cojak wrote:

Yep, I did too. In fact, I shared a pic of it on the Memories page for the NCCOG campgrounds FB page. Are you a member of that, Cojak?

Yes, I saw your entry about the oil.

I don't know but a few folk who comment. Most of my peers are gone or are afraid of a computer. I laugh at myself. I was in charge of the sound one Camp Meeting, my hearing has always been bad. The Acoustics were terrible.

I remember some preacher that believed in pouring that oil, or 'glugging it out', 'I remember him saying this is the bible way. He could have used a gallon jug of that olive oil. Shocked
9/18/15 6:53 pm

Post Even the design/shape of the bottle is anointed Old Time Country Preacher
Acts-pert Poster
9/18/15 9:28 pm

Post Re: Even the design/shape of the bottle is anointed Cojak

I cannot imagine anointing with 'EXTRA LITE OIL'! YOU MIGHT JUST GET A LITE BLESSING.

But really, I don't think anyone in the South East cooked with Olive oil in the early days. Embarassed
9/18/15 11:28 pm

Post Re: Even the design/shape of the bottle is anointed Old Time Country Preacher
Cojak wrote:

I cannot imagine anointing with 'EXTRA LITE OIL'! YOU MIGHT JUST GET A LITE BLESSING.

But really, I don't think anyone in the South East cooked with Olive oil in the early days. Embarassed

You're dead right, Cojak. That woulda been a shore setup fer a EXTRA LITE HEALIN. Only reason I used this pic is cause it was the only one I seen that had the ribbed bottle like the one we had in ma home church. Son, we would notta been caught dead with no EXTRA LITE, it was always the hi-test, the full-strength stuff.
Acts-pert Poster
9/19/15 2:01 am

Post c6thplayer1
Yes indeed , they were cutting edge songs. I really like the chord progressions in;

1. Bringing in the sheaves.

2. The good Ole gospel ship
9/19/15 11:09 am

c6thplayer1 wrote:
Yes indeed , they were cutting edge songs. I really like the chord progressions in;

The young'uns used to march up front (Penny March) while "Bringin in the Sheaves" was played. We would put money in this little wooden church somebody had made (it was about 1' by 1' square). At the end a the month the money was sent to the COG orphanage in Tennessee.
Acts-pert Poster
9/19/15 11:35 am

Post c6thplayer1
c6thplayer1 wrote:

The young'uns used to march up front (Penny March) while "Bringin in the Sheaves" was played. We would put money in this little wooden church somebody had made (it was about 1' by 1' square). At the end a the month the money was sent to the COG orphanage in Tennessee.

I would like to hear Gilmour's version of these songs
9/19/15 12:52 pm

c6thplayer1 wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:

I would like to hear Gilmour's version of these songs

Me too, C. I just bought Rattle that Lock yesterday. Some smooth Gilmour Strat string stretchin. Overall its a good CD, they is a few songs I didn't care for, but ever album PF ever made they was a few songs I didn't like as much as others.
Acts-pert Poster
9/19/15 2:51 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic