Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

President Obama Orders Behavioral Experiments on American Public

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post President Obama Orders Behavioral Experiments on American Public c6thplayer1
President Obama Orders Behavioral Experiments on American Public

By Chuck Ross, The Daily Caller

2:12 PM 09/15/2015

President Obama announced a new executive order on Tuesday which authorizes federal agencies to conduct behavioral experiments on U.S. citizens in order to advance government initiatives.

In its 2013 memo, which was reported by Fox News at the time, the White House openly admitted that the initiative involved behavioral experimentation.

The initiative draws on research from University of Chicago economist Richard Thaler and Harvard law school professor Cass Sunstein, who was also dubbed Obama’s regulatory czar. The two behavioral scientists argued in their 2008 book “Nudge” that government policies can be designed in a way that “nudges” citizens towards certain behaviors and choices.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2015/09/15/president-obama-orders-behavioral-experiments-american-public?ref=yfp
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/17/15 3:03 pm

Post Cojak
Say it ain't so!!!! I haven't read about this. Wild... Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/17/15 4:05 pm

Post Link
Aren't they doing this already? This isn't necessarily a bad thing if the things they are trying to 'nudge' people to do are good. The example from the UK, of mailing out, "“9 out of 10 people in Britain pay their taxes on time”, quoted in the article, resulting in more people paying taxes on time isn't some evil thing. I don't have a problem with that.

Some Conservatives complain that the welfare system is set up to incentivize having babies out of wedlock to get more welfare. Would this program test these things?

I don't see a problem with authorizing some quasi-experimental research into what kind of wording is more effective on government documents. I do see a problem if they are trying to get people to accept sexual immorality and things like that.

I do wonder why this needs to be an executive order. Is there any budget attached to this?

I took a PhD seminar from the inventor of the back translation method on program evaluation that went into detail about examining the value of programs. It was mainly a methods course on quasi-experimental data.
9/17/15 4:59 pm

Post You do realize all of them do this, right? Aaron Scott
It's called economics.

We think that means "finance," but economics is about the choices we make. When Nancy Reagan said, "Just Say No," it was an attempt to influence behavior.

Same with Mrs. Obama's efforts for healthier lunches (as flawed as some of the results seem to be).

We do that when we preach.

TBN does it every time there's a fundraiser.

We are all trying to change behaviors--either ours or someone else's--much of the time.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/17/15 4:59 pm

Post Re: You do realize all of them do this, right? Nature Boy Florida
Aaron Scott wrote:
... it was an attempt to influence behavior.

We do that when we preach.

Some of us let the Holy Spirit do that - but to each his own I guess... Twisted Evil
9/17/15 5:22 pm

Post bonnie knox
I couldn't quite figure that out. They said compliance was increased by 15%, but if 9 out of 10 were already paying, 90% were already in compliance. If you can increase 90% by 15%, I'd say that's a humdinger of a program.

Quote:
The example from the UK, of mailing out, "“9 out of 10 people in Britain pay their taxes on time”, quoted in the article, resulting in more people paying taxes on time isn't some evil thing. I don't have a problem with that.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/17/15 8:18 pm

Post NBF...I...I...I rebuke you! Aaron Scott
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/17/15 8:53 pm

Post Re: NBF...I...I...I rebuke you! Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
9/17/15 10:55 pm

Post Link
bonnie knox wrote:
I couldn't quite figure that out. They said compliance was increased by 15%, but if 9 out of 10 were already paying, 90% were already in compliance. If you can increase 90% by 15%, I'd say that's a humdinger of a program.

Quote:
The example from the UK, of mailing out, "“9 out of 10 people in Britain pay their taxes on time”, quoted in the article, resulting in more people paying taxes on time isn't some evil thing. I don't have a problem with that.

It makes sense to me. The increase in compliance can be measured as a percentage. They may have increased compliance among the 10% who had not been complying by 15%.
9/18/15 4:18 am

Post bonnie knox
So 91.5% compliance instead of 90%? Oh, wow, that's huge! LOL

Quote:
It makes sense to me. The increase in compliance can be measured as a percentage. They may have increased compliance among the 10% who had not been complying by 15%.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/18/15 7:12 am

Post Re: NBF...I...I...I rebuke you! Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

HAHAHAHAHAHA This is the only thing I understand about this subject. Now that is real COG stuff! Very Happy Very Happy
9/18/15 8:30 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic