Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Old Timer, when you watched "War Room" did you get a sense of wrong teaching on prayer? (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Old Timer, when you watched "War Room" did you get a sense of wrong teaching on prayer? (L) bonnie knox
I just read this opinion piece about "War Room."
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/eidos/2015/08/genie-jesus-and-the-war-room-problem/
I know you found the movie emotionally touching, but did it stand up to your scrutiny on doctrine. From the article, "It is a film with a bad view of prayer. I don’t dislike it because it is simple, but because it is simply unreal. We often pray and things go badly . . . not because God is not listening, but because God is bringing what is best for us in an eternal perspective in the constraints of a free will universe."
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/9/15 9:59 pm

Post Re: Old Timer, when you watched "War Room" did you get a sense of wrong teaching on prayer? (L) Old Time Country Preacher
bonnie knox wrote:
I know you found the movie emotionally touching, but did it stand up to your scrutiny on doctrine.

The narrative of the movie did not portray an unbiblical view of prayer. War Room's story line described the possibilities and potential of prayer. However, if one intentionally distorted the narrative, then yes, it could have the appearance of wrong teaching on prayer.

For example: War Room depicts a marriage that is struggling and in desperate need of restoration. Via prayer and a series of events in which the hand of God is clearly evident, the marriage is restored and renewed. In real life this is often the case; however, in real life there are just as many cases--if not more--where the marriage does not end on such a positive note. So, if the movie set forth the teaching that every troubled marriage, regardless of the circumstances, would be healed/restored/forgiven/etc., then yes, it would offer wrong teaching regarding prayer. But War Room doesn't suggest that every single marriage will end in healing, only that there is power/potential in prayer.
Acts-pert Poster
9/9/15 10:56 pm

Post bonnie knox
Thanks for your insight, Ole Timer. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/9/15 11:11 pm

Post mytimewillcome
I thought War Room was about OTCP launching missile strikes against Degree mills, WOFers Headquarters, and pink wearing worship leaders. Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
9/10/15 1:34 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
mytimewillcome wrote:
I thought War Room was about OTCP launching missile strikes against Degree mills, WOFers Headquarters, and pink wearing worship leaders.

Nope, that was War Rooms. An they was drone attacks. Laughing
Acts-pert Poster
9/10/15 8:28 am

Post Very Good, OTCP churchsinger
I love it when you let your intelligence flow through your words. Don't get me wrong, I love the vernacular your parody uses as well, but I do love intelligent, well-written conversation. Friendly Face
9/10/15 12:29 pm

Post Re: Very Good, OTCP Old Time Country Preacher
churchsinger wrote:
I love it when you let your intelligence flow through your words. Don't get me wrong, I love the vernacular your parody uses as well, but I do love intelligent, well-written conversation.

Thank ya there, CS. It just takes the ole timer so long to write intelligently, cause I gotta use a dictionary, thesaurus, lexicon, gotta conjugate em sentences an git ma subject/verb agreement right an all, an make shore the punctuation is correct an stuff, an hey, most a the time I aint got that kinda time. Wink
Acts-pert Poster
9/10/15 5:35 pm

Post Re: Old Timer, when you watched "War Room" did you get a sense of wrong teaching on prayer? (L) deltaman
[quote="Old Time Country Preacher"]
bonnie knox wrote:
I know you found the movie emotionally touching, but did it stand up to your scrutiny on doctrine.

The narrative of the movie did not portray an unbiblical view of prayer. War Room's story line described the possibilities and potential of prayer. However, if one intentionally distorted the narrative, then yes, it could have the appearance of wrong teaching on prayer.

Very good, Preacher. Didn't think you could be so serious or accurate. Smile
9/11/15 9:25 pm

Post Responding to Reynold's critique and who is he anyway Bonnie? Mark Ledbetter
Having read the article I researched the author, John Mark N. Reynolds, and reading some of his other articles/blogs, he seems to have a burr under his saddle.

Some of the stuff he writes would resonate with OTCP (read: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/eidos/2015/09/standing-in-the-need-of-prayer/)

Apparently Reynolds is a very articulate Christian Philosopher and takes aim at cultural issues, especially relating to Christianity.

In the article cited he takes aim not only at War Room but other releases by the same presenters. He simply doesn't like the movies and is extremely critical of how they were written, the quality of acting, etc. (although he does cite War Room in a piece directed towards Hollywood: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/eidos/2015/09/hollywood-what-i-hope-you-learn-from-war-room/)

My wife and I saw War Room this evening and certainly found the movie to be impacting, emotional, and entertaining. Levity mixed with the serious themes presented helped. But, the actors were very good in extracting tears from the viewers.

In retrospect, having read the critical review, I an see how Reynolds might read into the movie the conclusions he draws. But, I believe he misses the point.

Central to the movie is its message and it is calling Christians (back) to pray, to enter their prayer closets, to surrender their lives to God, to activate His word in our lives through Bible Study and Prayer (I have to agree, however, if the only reason you read the Bible is to determine what blessings you can claim, you are motivated by something else than being God's servant).

Simple dialogue, simple acting, simple message. Will it work for the refugees in the Middle East, the woman or child finding themselves in an abusive relationship, or others facing spiritual and physical malady and malice?

Not always. Although God is sovereign He has chosen not to violate the free will of man. Not all hearts will soften to His overtures of goodness or the conviction of sin. And to castigate the War Room because it doesn't work every time for every body again misses the point.

Will Christians (re)turn to their prayer closets? Will they be moved to engage in intercession for others?

The seed will fall on four types of soil and depending on the type of soil it finds will determine whether it will bear fruit, and if so, how much fruit it will bear. (Matthew 13:3-9, 18-23)

At a time when American Christians need hope, encouragement, etc., War Room provides this. I encourage others to see the film.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
9/12/15 12:05 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic