Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Your Input Needed: Your Top Temptations...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Your Input Needed: Your Top Temptations... Aaron Scott
I know this is sensitive, so perhaps you using a pen name is in order?

However, I am preparing a sermon on temptation, and it seems that the word "temptation" always conjures up the thought of marital infidelity and/or sexual sin.

I know there are other temptations, but the "temptation to gossip" seems to be a stretch. And to preach on the temptation of alkyhaul seems to push the limits of what I can claim from scripture.

I wonder if you would be so kind as to share the temptations you face in your life (as discreetly as you wish)? I am just so used to thinking of temptation in the sexual sin category (at least in the COG) that I can't really get a clear thought of what other temptations there are likely out there.

I'm not trying to pry. I am sincerely wanting to learn so that I can perhaps say something that is helpful to others.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/7/15 7:52 am

Post Dave Dorsey
I think there are a lot of emotional temptations that are common to even the most sanctified Christians. Anger, unforgiveness, getting offended (which is a form of pride), etc. I find these are the temptations I have to stay on the strongest watch against. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/7/15 7:54 am

Post c6thplayer1
1. When I hear an old standard hymn I am tempted to add a little Texas swing to it. Most of the time I just do it. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/7/15 2:13 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Actscelerate. Very Happy [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/7/15 2:19 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Dave Dorsey wrote:
I think there are a lot of emotional temptations that are common to even the most sanctified Christians. Anger, unforgiveness, getting offended (which is a form of pride), etc. I find these are the temptations I have to stay on the strongest watch against.

Dave,

Are we tempted with these - or so used to doing them - that the real temptation is to try NOT to do those things?
9/7/15 4:54 pm

Post Cojak
The physical temptations fade away with age. But the judgmental mind speeds up. I think I handle some of it pretty well, since I do not hear too well. Example: Even at 77, I cannot get enough of children's programs in church. I love to watch the excitement in young faces. Maybe I never grew up as some of my brothers and sisters did.

I WANT TO SCREAM AT A COUPLE OLD SISTERS who openly say it is a waste of worship time to bring those wild kids into the sanctuary. Instead I try to explain to them some of these kids don't even see a Bible in their homes. We should love them. Yeah they are noisy, but we can handle it.

What I really AM TEMPTED TO SAY, is; YOU ARE MEAN AND NOT MUCH OF A CHRISTIAN, WERE YOU ALWAYS A SAINT?

I'm too old for many temptations, but I was in the home state of Coors Beer the other day, and I do dearly love it. Been many years since I had one, and I don't think it is a sin, but I didn't. (Mama wouda killed me anyway, I have had a little alcohol problem in my life)

I am too quick to judge,mentally, many or my brothers and sisters. I am usually good at keeping my mouth shut though.

Embarassed Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/7/15 9:15 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Well, You got me under conviction now Aaron, an I never thought I would openly admit this, but I have a strong temptation at times to git me one a them honery docterates. There, I said it. Crying or Very sad

Seriously, every Christian struggles with temptations of some type. The ole timer has often dealt with anger, a desire for vengeance, stuff like at.
Acts-pert Poster
9/7/15 9:46 pm

Post Link
You could look at the temptation of Christ in the desert. He was tempted to turn stone to bread to prove that He was the Son of God, a temptation that also had to deal with his physical hunger, tempted with the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them. What was being tempted to jump? The show off? Maybe it was a temptation to act in pride.

Hebrews 12 seems to put Esau giving up something valuable for 'one morsel of meat' to fornicating, in case you do want to touch on the sexual temptation issue.
9/7/15 11:57 pm

Post Clint Wills
Dave Dorsey wrote:
I think there are a lot of emotional temptations that are common to even the most sanctified Christians. Anger, unforgiveness, getting offended (which is a form of pride), etc. I find these are the temptations I have to stay on the strongest watch against.

These are good - except anger isn't really a sin. As far as being so used to doing them, that may be an indictment on our morality. If a sin is so common place in our lives that we don't even realize when we do it, then maybe there is a larger problem afoot.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/8/15 1:36 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Aaron,
Chuck Swindall is teaching on temptation right now on his program.

Go to insight.org to listen.

He is using Joseph as the example.
9/8/15 1:26 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Aaron,
Chuck Swindall is teaching on temptation right now on his program.

Go to insight.org to listen.

He is using Joseph as the example.

Listened to the podcast this morning. Ole Swindoll is one a ma favorites.
Acts-pert Poster
9/8/15 1:53 pm

Post I'm not sure, but Mark Ledbetter
I think there were only five.

I certainly like "My Girl" and "Ain't Too Proud to Beg."

Of course I liked "I wish it would Rain," and "Can't Get Next to You."

several more on my charts.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
9/8/15 6:06 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic