Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

POLL: Would you Perform a Same-Sex Marriage?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post skinnybishop... Aaron Scott
I absolutely agree. It's a deal breaker.

But I am trying to point out that, far from feeling like a spiritual hero for "standing up for God and the American Way," we may be placed in situations where we are crushed by the loss of relationships, the loss of finances, the loss of a pastorate, even (i.e., so many people leave it's just not able to go on).

I can BOLDLY say no. But I reckon it will become MUCH MORE difficult than that. Especially in congregations where we don't hobby horse homosexuality (i.e., preach on it so often that everyone knows your position). And the coming generation is much more open to gays and gay marriage than any other generation.

We have to face the fact that things are truly changing. Not just outside the church...but in it.

Last edited by Aaron Scott on 5/30/15 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/30/15 1:33 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I think one of the wisest things we can do at this point is have a rule in writing in our local church that we will not perform or allow weddings to be performed on our church property except for those who are members in good standing with our local church. Even still, the next step by the radical homos will no doubt be to try to sue local churches for not allowing them to become members. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/30/15 1:37 pm

Post JLarry
Skinny I started to say there were no "gays" in your neck of the woods. Then I remembered one (on your district). He lived down the road a bit from me. He went to school with my children. His Dad was a GoG minister (a Godly man at that).

The last time I saw him he was a professional pianist. I later heard he relocated to San Francisco Ca.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
5/30/15 1:43 pm

Post skinnybishop
JLarry wrote:
Skinny I started to ere were no "gays" in your neck of the woods. Then I remembered one (on your district). He lived down the road a bit from me. He went to school with my children. His Dad was a GoG minister (a Godly man at that).

The last time I saw him he was a professional pianist. I later heard he relocated to San Francisco Ca.

A lot of people have said the same thing to me. "You probably don't have to deal with any gays, way out in the country". We do. Several come to our food pantry. Several have visited our church.

We welcome everyone. We don't pick and choose who we bless with groceries. But I will not perform a gay wedding, or allow our church facilities to be used for a gay wedding.
5/30/15 1:57 pm

Post Re: skinnybishop... skinnybishop
Aaron Scott wrote:
I absolutely agree. It's a deal breaker.

But I am trying to point out that, far from feeling like a spiritual hero for "standing up for God and the American Way," we may be placed in situations where we are crushed by the lose of relationships, the lose of finances, the lost of a pastorate, even (i.e., so many people leave it's just not able to go on).

I can BOLDLY say no. But I reckon it will become MUCH MORE difficult than that. Especially in congregations where we don't hobby horse homosexuality (i.e., preach on it so often that everyone knows your position). And the coming generation is much more open to gays and gay marriage than any other generation.

We have to face the fact that things are truly changing. Not just outside the church...but in it.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree times are changing. Please note, I am not trying to be a spiritual hero, though my post may have come across that way.

I do feel strongly that a person should not be asked or expected to compromise their faith....just to keep someone happy.
5/30/15 2:01 pm

Post Link
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I think one of the wisest things we can do at this point is have a rule in writing in our local church that we will not perform or allow weddings to be performed on our church property except for those who are members in good standing with our local church. Even still, the next step by the radical homos will no doubt be to try to sue local churches for not allowing them to become members.

And you could put in the by-laws: "Anyone who files a lawsuit against this church may not be a member."

I wouldn't be surprised if they sued to take communion. I wonder if accepting money from them would give them some kind of claim legally in the future. Whatever laws or amendments to the Constitution exist, it doesn't matter much. It's up to the judge. That decision for $100k+ against the couple who didn't want to bake a wedding cake sure is ridiculous. Unless we have some kind of repentance in this nation, we aren't going to be able to trust the legal system to be reasonable.
6/4/15 4:55 am

Post dolfan
Link, I want you to know I thank God for your gentle confrontation in truth with the "gay church" people you mentioned in another thread. Our interactions with gays who profess Jesus may be impossible to remain always gentle, but that you pursued mercy over judgment is a testimony to the reality of Jesus in you.

They are in our churches. They are like the rest of us in that they long for close relationships. We should not be surprised to recognize them among us now that it is perfectly socially acceptable to be homosexual. The acceptance relaxes their façade and makes them more comfortable in their own skin. Where they may not have ventured in before or would have but also remained close-to-the-vest about their sexuality, those inhibitions are disappearing. It is what it is.

It is a deep spiritual work that happens inside us when we are able to truthfully stand and deliver on the truth of the gospel without yielding it to the reinterpretations of the times. But, it is a deeper work still when we can do that in love and gentleness and reasonableness. Wisdom from above is first pure, said James (3:17), but then it is peaceable and gentle, among other things.

We can hold onto both truth from above and wisdom from above. We have the power of the Holy Spirit. It can be a heavy thing to do. But, God has brought us to this hour, and He has given us the knowledge and the heart of Himself to clearly say and live the gospel to the deceived.
6/8/15 9:47 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.