Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

A COG Mega Church that you may not know...Pueblo, Colorado

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post A COG Mega Church that you may not know...Pueblo, Colorado MartyBaker
Kevin Lloyd and I just returned from speaking at three regional Church of God pastors events in Colorado. Bishop Tommy Powell is doing a great job at pastoring pastors. He has a heart for equipping pastors and at least three times a year, he brings pastoral coaches in to help train his leaders.

Kevin and I were honored to be able to share church systems and growth strategies with the churches of the Rocky Mountain Region.

Here's what I found ... the Church of God has great potential in this region. We met Pastor David Smith of Family Worship Center in Pueblo. He has served that church for 25 years and has built it to over 1,500 in weekly attendance. His outreach ministries are great and his financial management is second to none. We were so encouraged to see his progress. Family Worship Center offers three identical weekend services: Saturday 6:00 PM and two on Sunday morning. Their new property is PAID for and they have 25 acres of land near the interstate. It's Amazing.

When we think of great churches, we tend to look to those congregations in the Southeast .... let me say, Family Worship Center is a GREAT church that proves that we can build mega churches outside of the South. I know technically that 2,000 in attendance is a mega church, so I will say this: Family Worship Center Church of God is a "mega church in the making."

Family Worship Center, Pueblo, Colorado

Pastors David and Charissa Smith

5/18/15 1:54 pm

Post Cojak
You gotta love a GREAT report like this. THANKS!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/18/15 9:08 pm

Post drmrc
David and Charissa are hidden jewels in the Church of God. Our paths crossed many years ago when he did his Lee University practicum at City Church. Charissa is from the Chattanooga area. Her mom and dad and other family members are part of our church.

He is a humble yet visionary leader who has build his church on solid missional principles. We need more pastors and leaders like him.

Mike Chapman
Friendly Face
5/19/15 6:31 am

Post keep sharing their successes wayne
I eat these stories up. I want our church to continue growing but run into a ton of "brick walls". Open to recommendations. Acts Enthusiast
5/19/15 1:35 pm

Post I got to meet them recently too... Clint Wills
I met Dave and Charissa at the Go West conference last month...what a great couple!! They have an insane amount of energy and really feel like people that simply get things done!

Not to mention, they signed up to sell Christmas trees with Buy A Tree. Change A Life. in 2015!! They are VERY welcome additions to the BATCAL family!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/20/15 5:21 pm

Post Thank you!!! 2ndgeneration
Thank you Marty for posting this about David & Charissa Smith and the Family Worship Center in Pueblo. They are awesome leaders and this church is making a great impact on their community. It is incredible to fellowship with them.

We are excited about the area here and what the Lord has done. It is fertile field for sure and we are looking for those whom the Lord will direct to plant and grow churches here in this region of the US.

It was great to have you and Kevin. You both really poured into the ministers out here. Thanks again!
Acts Enthusiast
5/20/15 9:49 pm

Post I have been blessed! David Smith
Marty, Thank you so much for your kind words. All I can say is that "I have been blessed by God." I was blessed with a great home church (Church of God in Midland, Michigan) where I actually came to the church through their bus ministry. When I went to Lee University, I was blessed to learn a lot from Mike Chapman at City Church during my practicum. He allowed me to preach my first sermon there on May 4, 1986.
After graduating from Lee, Charissa & I went to Hazlehurst, Georgia as youth pastors. The church accepted my inexperience and for four years allowed me to grow with them.
In 1990, I felt God calling us to our first pastorate in Colorado, and He opened the door. The last 25 years have been an exciting journey. Thank God for His blessings!

David Smith
5/22/15 2:25 pm

Post Cojak
While at the Air Force Academy RV park a few years back, we wandered down to Pueblo and happened into their city Parade. Enjoyed the city and area. Wish we had read a post like this earlier.
Wonderful. Very Happy
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/22/15 10:59 pm

Post Re: I have been blessed! J Ryan Herrington
David Smith wrote:
Marty, Thank you so much for your kind words. All I can say is that "I have been blessed by God." I was blessed with a great home church (Church of God in Midland, Michigan) where I actually came to the church through their bus ministry. When I went to Lee University, I was blessed to learn a lot from Mike Chapman at City Church during my practicum. He allowed me to preach my first sermon there on May 4, 1986.
After graduating from Lee, Charissa & I went to Hazlehurst, Georgia as youth pastors. The church accepted my inexperience and for four years allowed me to grow with them.
In 1990, I felt God calling us to our first pastorate in Colorado, and He opened the door. The last 25 years have been an exciting journey. Thank God for His blessings!

David Smith

I've kept following your ministry ever since you left Hazlehurst to go out to Colorado. Thanks for the impact you guys had on me and my family while you were in Hazlehurst!
Acts-celerater
5/23/15 8:31 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Wow-this is a great story.

Thank you Acts for being here to share this.

Thank you Marty for the shout out.
5/26/15 9:16 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.