Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why Does God Care Who I Sleep With? (V)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Why Does God Care Who I Sleep With? (V) seeker930
Andrew Wilson address the question, Why does God care who I sleep with, and specifically addresses the issue of biblical sexual ethics and the church. The video is 31 minutes but well worth the watch. Thought I would share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRUpxmpWuog
Acts-celerater
1/26/15 4:46 pm

Post Very important video to watch doyle
Every viewer should watch this video because of the very good material he provides in dealing with a topic that continues to capture the attention of society. I watched the entire video and was impressed with how he handles this very difficult subject. There is much wisdom to be gained from watching.

He begins by sharing the problem we are facing. We want to share the Gospel with everyone but how can that be done in a loving way without compromising.

In particular, at the 10 minute mark, is an excellent statement. He declares, "God does care who people have sex with. The God of the Bible, revealed in Jesus, made humans to have sex in one context only...in marriage between one man and one woman; no other partners, no other exceptions."

He says, "It is obvious that not only does God care who people are sleeping with, so does society." Just look at the headlines when some popular person is caught cheating. Society cares, so why would God be any different?

There is some excellent material on why God's view of sexuality is different than ours. If you are a pastor, this presentation will provide you with some excellent and pertinent information.

AT THE 19-minute mark on the video, he states: There are all kinds of things people are committed to - things they are committed to give up for what they consider to be their highest authority; meat, dairy, carbon-emissions, drugs, oil-based products, cars etc. Some people even give up their foreskins for their faith, but if anyone suggests that we should show discipline in who we have sex with, people go crazy about it."

"OUR REACTION to what God requires, depends on how much we love God." Do we expect to have a close relationship with God that does not have requirements?

The incredibly liberalized ideas about sex and the right to have sex with anybody we desire, can be destructive. It is a situation that is not going away any time soon. So, pastors in particular need to have good information to share when the situation arises where they pastor. This video, in my opinion, offers that.

Doyle
1/27/15 9:36 am

Post Link
I should listen to the video when I get the opportunity.

I read one of Doyle's comments, and I was just thinking of a 'common sense' argument against fornication for those who don't want to hear 'the Bible says so.'

If we accept any of these premises, we come to the conclusion that fornication is a bad thing.

- It is wrong to murder babies in the womb.
- It is undesirable for children to be raised without their father.
- Birth control is not 100% effective.

If a man fornicates, the woman can go off and kill his baby without him even knowing about it, much less consenting to the murder. If a man fornicates, he could end up with a child he either knows about and is unable to raise or doesn't even know about. A woman who fornicate may face a choice of killing the baby or raising the baby without a father.

When you look at it from the perspective of what is good for children and good for society, it makes sense to see fornication as a bad thing. Sex is where children come from, so sex should be had in a relationship suitable for raising children, which is marriage.
1/28/15 3:08 am

Post (Link) bonnie knox
Quote:
Sex is where children come from, so sex should be had in a relationship suitable for raising children, which is marriage.

What do you say to the guy who was raised by two lesbian women (one of whom was artificially inseminated) who says his two mothers did a good job rearing him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422411861&x-yt-cl=84924572&v=FSQQK2Vuf9Q

(Incidentally, I've listened to about 23 minutes of the video on the OP. It is very good so far; you should listen.)
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/28/15 11:16 am

Post Link
Bonnie Knox,

I haven't listened to the video yet, but I wish artificial insemination were outlawed except in cases between a husband and wife who need help conceiving. It seems like lesbians are some of the most popular customers. If not outlawed, legal liabilities should be such as to not make it viable. If judges would hit up the insemination clinics for part of the child support, that could do the trick. Our society doesn't seem to value the concept of only 'making babies' in wedlock.
1/28/15 2:34 pm

Post bonnie knox
My larger point is that arguments against fornication that used to be good arguments may not work anymore. No, birth control is 100% effective, but some methods approach it so closely, that the risk of pregnancy is small enough not to really affect behavior.
However, the argument that sex within a one man-one woman marriage is God's design is a timeless argument. Unless you stick with the timeless arguments, you might paint yourself into a corner as biotechnology speeds along at lightning pace.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/28/15 2:42 pm

Post Link
Bonnie,

I was thinking more along the lines of sex for reproduction, but that argument doesn't apply to all the kinds of sexual activity that aren't reproductive in nature.

Someone on YouTube left this comment on the lesbian-raised young man,

"If he had been raised by two gay men, he would have worn a better tie."

I'm sure we could find people who cheat on their taxes who have well-spoken, well-educated children. There are people who have affairs or fornicated through college and haven't repented who have well-spoken, well-educated children. There are people who do drugs who have well-spoken, well-educated children. Children raised by these folks could potentially be leaders in society and very successful.

I've read that lesbian couples have a much higher rate of domestic violence than other types of couples. Girls raised by lesbian couples are much, much more likely to be lesbians themselves.

If nothing else, being raised by homosexuals is probably more likely to lead someone to be more open to accepting this type of sexual immorality, which is a negative effect as well.
1/28/15 2:47 pm

Post bonnie knox
I finished the video. It was well thought out. Very good.
A very pertinent part of his discussion is when he posits that our sexual ethics are based on deep convictions about what the fundamental definition of sex is. He used the words, "unity, oneness, otherness, faithfulness, and surrender." I stopped a few minutes past that to chew on that thought.
(From the 18:36 mark to the 20:59 mark)
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/28/15 3:14 pm

Post Re: (Link) Old Time Country Preacher
bonnie knox wrote:
What do you say to the guy who was raised by two lesbian women (one of whom was artificially inseminated) who says his two mothers did a good job rearing him?

Here in eastern KY, them of us that is tactful an diplomatic, would say "Thank ya son for your opinion. Now let me tell ya the facts."
Acts-pert Poster
1/28/15 3:37 pm

Post Re: (Link) Patrick Harris
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:

Here in eastern KY, them of us that is tactful an diplomatic, would say "Thank ya son for your opinion. Now let me tell ya the facts."

Except the fact that two lesbians raised him has no bearing on whether he was brought up correctly or not. He may have the best morals and conduct and even wind up being an Christian at some point.
Acts Enthusiast
1/28/15 3:47 pm

Post Link
I liked the message. He made the point that in his culture, some people saw sex as the highest good. Lot's of Hollywood movies seem to be based on that idea, or the idea that romantic love with a heavy sexual component to it is the highest good. And I know when I lived in Indonesia, what he said about other cultures not thinking that way is true. There are plenty of cultures that don't have a problem with the idea of God restricting sexuality to marriage.
1/28/15 10:44 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.