Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

"Like a Mighty Army" 60 year anniversary

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post "Like a Mighty Army" 60 year anniversary Eddie Robbins
I was talking with Cathy this morning about her Dad's book. She was telling me that her Dad told her that he wrote the book with her sitting on his lap. Obviously, not the whole book, but you get the idea. it got me to thinking about how long ago it was that the original book was written. It was published in 1955. The history of the COG began in 1886. That is 69 years. Since it was written, 60 years has passed. Acts-pert Poster
1/16/15 8:16 am

Post bigchurchmouse
Are you trying to reveal Cathy's age? ha How old was she when she stopped sitting on her dad's lap?

Last edited by bigchurchmouse on 1/16/15 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
1/16/15 11:06 am

Post Eddie Robbins
She was born in Nov 1953. Acts-pert Poster
1/16/15 11:09 am

Post Cojak
I remember very well when the book came out. It was a source of denominational pride to have a man with that capacity and ability in the church. At that time very few COG ministers had college educations. Many, like my dad, had very little formal education, just a fire burning inside to see the lost won. The average pastor had depended on Bible Schools (Mostly summer Bible schols) for any indepth Scriptural studies.

I remember hearing my dad say, "Brother Conn wrote this," as he would hold the book up.

Charles Conn became one of my all time favorite people and I only heard him for a week during a Missouri Campmeeting. I was a young pastor then with two kids, we stayed the week in a tent. BUT I had the chance to shake hands with Bro Conn. He was an impressive quiet guy.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/16/15 1:11 pm

Post I have wondered... Aaron Scott
why Conn is not considered an "academic."

I think it might be because his writing is actually understandable by the masses, blesses people, lifts people, and doesn't try to use big words when a small one will do.

I can read the hard stuff--and I HATE IT! It is either the work of pompous professors or people trying really hard to impress others by acting like its all too hard to understand.

A great teacher (as Conn truly was) is one that can take complex matters and put them in understandable terms.

In my book, he was absolutely an academic.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/17/15 12:18 pm

Post Re: I have wondered... sheepdogandy
Aaron Scott wrote:
why Conn is not considered an "academic."

I think it might be because his writing is actually understandable by the masses, blesses people, lifts people, and doesn't try to use big words when a small one will do.

I can read the hard stuff--and I HATE IT! It is either the work of pompous professors or people trying really hard to impress others by acting like its all too hard to understand.

A great teacher (as Conn truly was) is one that can take complex matters and put them in understandable terms.

In my book, he was absolutely an academic.

Ditto!

www.spwc.church
1/17/15 1:32 pm

Post Example of bad academic writing: Aaron Scott
Quote:
The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power.

SIMPLE VERSION:

"I want to thank my wife for being so kind as to be the one to buy my book, even though neither she nor I have any idea what it's about. Unfortunately, if I wrote in an understandable fashion, the whole facade of my intellectualism might collapse."

1/17/15 1:52 pm

Post Had Charles Conn as a teacher Mark Hardgrove
Dr. C. Conn was a guest teacher when I was the Church of God School of Theology (back in the late 1980's). It was fascinating hearing him talk about how he gathered the information for the book. One of the most memorable classes I ever took at COGTS.
Dean & VP for Academics at BHU
http://www.beulah.org/
Acts-celerater
1/18/15 2:55 pm

Post Re: Example of bad academic writing: Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
Quote:
The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power.

SIMPLE VERSION:

"I want to thank my wife for being so kind as to be the one to buy my book, even though neither she nor I have any idea what it's about. Unfortunately, if I wrote in an understandable fashion, the whole facade of my intellectualism might collapse."

Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Plus a big Very Happy
1/18/15 4:17 pm

Post Cojak
I heard my dad say, "If a man is intelligent and/or educated, he will not have to tell you he is."

The intellignet man speaks to his audience, Bro. Conn did just that! Cool
1/18/15 4:19 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Speaking of Charles Conn, his birthday is January 20. He would have been 95 years old. Acts-pert Poster
1/19/15 7:20 pm

Post Patrick Harris
When I first started attending the COG in 1980, LAMA was actually be used in our young adults class as a reference each week....

I can say I was truly fascinated learning all the history behind the COG on Sunday morning.
Acts Enthusiast
1/19/15 8:57 pm

Post John Stevenson
Does anybody know how many times this book has been revised? I have a very old copy that I won't part with.
1/21/15 7:35 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I believe 3 times. 1997, 1995 and 2008. Acts-pert Poster
1/21/15 7:38 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.