Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Jesus NOT ALWAYS there for you

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Jesus NOT ALWAYS there for you AnnapolisRev
Thought that may raise some eyebrows. Shocked I was reading last night about the story of John the Baptist and came across something that I had read many times but just overlooked it.....except for last night.

Matthew 11:2-6 is the account where John is in prison and asked the question "Are you the One who was to come?" The response you can read but what caught my eye was the last sentence that Jesus said in verse 6. "Blessed is the man that does not fall away on account of me." This really seems out of place for what Jesus was saying that He was doing.

Why would Jesus think that John would "fall away" with so much positive things that Jesus was doing? John had led the way for Him. He knew who He was. In all honesty, I think Jesus was politely saying...."I'm not helping you out of this one.....you are on your own......" and that is why he said that he would be blessed if he does not fall away.

How many have screamed at God and said..."well you did it for so and so or you delivered so and so from this sickness?" It is not that Jesus could not have walked into that jail and freed John.......he just was not going to because that was the course that was laid out for him.

How many come close to quiting on God because nothing has changed in our situations but it seems others are being blessed continually?

I have more to add but would like some other comments and opinions.

www.voicenthewilderness.blogspot.com
Friendly Face
3/24/06 12:33 pm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post Re: Jesus NOT ALWAYS there for you TheoloJohn
Jesus promises to be with the faithful regardless of what external circumstances they may find themselves in.

Hebrews 11:35-40 says that some of the faithful did not receive deliverance in this life, but looked on in hope of "a better resurrection." What are we to say of the multitudes of martyrs of the early church and down through the centuries even to today? Their circumstances might seem to have been evidence of a lack of God's delivering power, but in reality they were faithful unto death.
3/24/06 1:10 pm

Post excellent post nugeme
Very thought provoking and in a strange way - comforting. God knows my plight, whether or not He chooses to intervene. All things work together for good........Thanks. Acts-celerater
3/24/06 1:11 pm

Post Re: Jesus NOT ALWAYS there for you TheoloJohn
AnnapolisRev wrote:
Why would Jesus think that John would "fall away" with so much positive things that Jesus was doing?

We have to keep in mind that it was John the Baptism to whom GOD had revealed the Messiah, and John had boldly testified to the fact that Jesus was indeed the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.

I think what John was facing at this time was his disappointment that Jesus had not taken over politically as the Jewish Messiah was expected to. The fact that Jesus did not take over as a political Messiah was a reason why many turned away from him eventually. And this I think provides the background for understanding why He would say "blessed is he who is not offended in me," or as some modern translations render it, "who does not fall away from me." As Peter revealed as well, the cross was a great stumblingblock to the Jewish mindset. They didn't want a suffering Savior, they wanted a conquering (earthly) King. And this caused many to turn away from Him.
3/24/06 1:17 pm

Post Re: Jesus NOT ALWAYS there for you stp89
AnnapolisRev,

I heard a sermon on that passage one time entitled "If you don't get offended...you'll get blessed."

It was about handling offences in general, but one of the main points was about people getting bitter at God for what they perceive to be His indifference towards their plight. This is something I battle even with my congregation- some folks just can not get past their suffering to see the greater glory of God's eternal purposes.

Of course it's always easier when "we" are not the ones in prison or going through the trial. Wink
Acts Enthusiast
3/24/06 1:19 pm

Post That's why I brought this up. AnnapolisRev
Quote:
Hebrews 11:35-40 says that some of the faithful did not receive deliverance in this life, but looked on in hope of "a better resurrection." What are we to say of the multitudes of martyrs of the early church and down through the centuries even to today? Their circumstances might seem to have been evidence of a lack of God's delivering power, but in reality they were faithful unto death.

I agree with you Theo. That scripture came to mind. I know that Hebrews gives a list of those whose faith was extraordinary but it is a short list compared to all those that lived in that time. Don't jump at me too quick on what I am about to say but I think the "list" is more of the exception than the rule.

People who go through things and are not "miraculously" set free such as sickness or any other problem is looked at as either:
1. Has sin in their life.
2. Not enough faith.

I have had friends of mine be told because of sickness that they have sin in their lives and that is the reason they were not healed. THAT IS STUPID!!

I know that this is not going to set well with the JO fans and the "God wants you wealthy" group, but I really think that if people could grasp the concept that you may just have to endure something without Jesus setting you free will make the process a little easier to endure, know that He is at the end of it, even if the end is the end.

Jesus' purpose is not to save us from pain and suffering, but from separation.

www.voicenthewilderness.blogspot.com
Friendly Face
3/24/06 3:49 pm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post Re: Jesus NOT ALWAYS there for you arcticgolfer1
No doubt about ARev. Erwin McManus skillfully writes in his book, "The Barbarian Way," about this very thing. The message essentially was John I'm not rescuing you from jail, this is it for you. John knew he was healing the sick and casting out devils and that the poor had the Gospel preached to them. Why the curious out of step (with the rest of his words prior to this point,) word from Christ about not being offended? I believe he is simply saying John I am doing all these great things but I'm not pulling you out of jail, this is the end. I think it dovetails with Christ saying to Peter and John before he ascended, "Peter what is it to you if I..."

God brought this very thing to my mind in January or December when I was going through a very rough transition and did not want to be where I was about to end up. I prayed and tried many other avenues, but no deliverance from this path came. The message was I am not coming through for you the way you want me to.

Hope these thoughts help.
3/24/06 5:38 pm

Post On a positive note... stp89
I tend to look at this as Jesus validating John's ministry. I'm sure that (since John The Baptist was human) he was probably having some doubts not only about Christ but his own ministry.

In essence Jesus was saying "go tell John.." that everything you see is a fulfillment of Isaiah's prophecies about me. Your ministry was true- I Am who I say I Am and you ARE the one the bible says would "prepare the way" of the LORD.

We look at this from the negative as if Jesus was saying "get over it John"...but I think of it in positive terms as well.

Just my piddly $.02
Acts Enthusiast
3/24/06 5:43 pm

Post Re: Jesus NOT ALWAYS there for you notwanghere
If only John the Baptist could have heard some of the preachers on TBN, he could have confessed himself out of that jail! Acts Enthusiast
3/26/06 10:12 am

Post I don't understand Sun Tzu (art of war)
I don't understand all that TBN stuff..that name it and claim it, God will bless you if you send me this much money,turn around three times and God will deliver you out of your mess,God wants you rich....all that stuff I don't understand...

I can not watch TBN for that simple fact..It drives me crazy now I have only been saved for a few short years but Through all my personal study and reading of the SCRIPTURES I don't see where they get there foundation from preaching and teaching things like that...

When will we as the CHURCH get back to the basics and just preach the word of GOD..his word is mighty to save, to deliver, to heal, to prosper. I see alot (not everyone) of preachers now becoming nothing more than motivational speakers. Taking the body of CHRIST through spiritual AA meetings and three step programs...The world is not going to accept what we keep telling them if they keep seeing this type of garbage.....

Ghandi once said “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

just something to think about
10/20/06 11:55 am

Post MJ
100% accurately ordained by God is the Holy Bible! Jesus claims to never leave nor forsake us. The operative being "NEVER". I take the word for what it saids.
10/23/06 2:32 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic