Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What is an appropriate gift for an outgoing State Overseer?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post What is an appropriate gift for an outgoing State Overseer? cogalltheway
I know in years past, when we were not in budget cuts, giving an outgoing/retiring Overseer a nice gift from the State Office/State was a pretty common practice. I know some were given automobiles, some a trip to Hawaii or a cruise, and some $10,000,$20,000, and the highest I know of was a $25,000 love gift, new suits, etc.
In my state, our overseer is leaving/retiring/being redirected at the Assembly, and during this time of cuts, where retired ministers, state office staff, state directors, youth camps, many ministries of the state, camp grounds sold, and salaries have been slashed, what is an appropriate gift and what is overkill? Any ideas?
Friendly Face
5/23/14 6:53 am

Post Re: What is an appropriate gift for an outgoing State Overse c6thplayer1
cogalltheway wrote:
I know in years past, when we were not in budget cuts, giving an outgoing/retiring Overseer a nice gift from the State Office/State was a pretty common practice. I know some were given automobiles, some a trip to Hawaii or a cruise, and some $10,000,$20,000, and the highest I know of was a $25,000 love gift, new suits, etc.
In my state, our overseer is leaving/retiring/being redirected at the Assembly, and during this time of cuts, where retired ministers, state office staff, state directors, youth camps, many ministries of the state, camp grounds sold, and salaries have been slashed, what is an appropriate gift and what is overkill? Any ideas?

It should be the same as what any average corporate manager gets. That varies from a $300 watch to a $1000 cash gift. Gifts in 10 to 20 thousand dollar range are and should be performance based.

Last edited by c6thplayer1 on 5/23/14 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/23/14 10:25 am

Post dolfan
Luxury box seats at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

Oh, wait.....that would be for ME. So sorry.... Laughing
5/23/14 10:54 am

Post $300-$1000 cogalltheway
So c6th are you saying a gift of $300-$1000 would be sufficient as a good gift for a leaving overseer? I know several states including ours have given the overseer a Denali, a Tahoe, a Cadillac, some have given thousands, and some tens of thousands of dollars as well as the automobile. Is this over kill? What about during budget cuts? Friendly Face
5/23/14 1:32 pm

Post Re: $300-$1000 c6thplayer1
cogalltheway wrote:
So c6th are you saying a gift of $300-$1000 would be sufficient as a good gift for a leaving overseer? I know several states including ours have given the overseer a Denali, a Tahoe, a Cadillac, some have given thousands, and some tens of thousands of dollars as well as the automobile. Is this over kill? What about during budget cuts?

That is severe over payment. Corporations , or similar sized business's to the COG state levels , do not give extravagant gifts when managers retires.

When there are no credible checks and balances , other than the good ole boy network , things like this happen and it says a lot about how upper management thinks about other members of the organization that are not elevated in management.
5/23/14 3:40 pm

Post Re: What is an appropriate gift for an outgoing State Overse Old Time Country Preacher
Somethin practical...

Acts-pert Poster
5/23/14 3:52 pm

Post Re: What is an appropriate gift for an outgoing State Overse c6thplayer1
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Somethin practical...

You will never be elected to any board thinking like that...
5/23/14 4:14 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Somethin practical...

You will never be elected to any board thinking like that...

Then what about this:

Acts-pert Poster
5/23/14 4:18 pm

Post Tom Sterbens, cogalltheway
I think your overseer's time is up. Is that right? Friendly Face
5/23/14 6:28 pm

Post I don't get it . . . sonofasoldier
How can anything beyond a love offering be justifiable? How can anyone compare the nonprofit church to a for profit corporation?
That kind of thinking explains a lot about the church in America. Is there no shame and embarrassment anymore?
Acts-celerater
5/23/14 7:38 pm

Post SouthGeorgiaBoy
When our overseer, Ray Garner's, time was up we wanted to bless him even though we knew he wasn't retiring per se. An amount was specified by the state council. Then each church in the state was asked to receive an offering to send in to be given to him. I think the goad was around $25,000. The goad was reached and he was blessed.

We have blessed other overseers very well as they retired from our state.

I have found that, even in tough economic times, people do what they want to do. There is money to be given in our churches. I think that it all depends on our attitude toward the giving.
Acts Enthusiast
5/23/14 8:13 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
SouthGeorgiaBoy wrote:
I think the goad was around $25,000. The goad was reached and he was blessed.

You South Georgia fellers should notta goaded Bro Sanders. Cool
Acts-pert Poster
5/23/14 8:59 pm

Post Cojak
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Just provide the opportunity for the people to give (at camp meeting for instance). A scenario such as that:
  1. Will be a de facto representation of the prevailing economy (people can't give what they don't have) and proportionate expression of sacrifice and giving on the part of the people.
  2. Will remove the potential toward blaming the State Council for either being either excessive or cheap.
  3. Will provide the occasion for people to reflect their appreciation toward the person/position...or not. Either way, it will serve as some indicator of the perceived value of the office and influence.

In states or regions that have an economy that is struggling and suffering, I think it is entirely unwise for the decision of a "gift" to the State Overseer to be left to the State Council AND for that to be taken from state funds. I think it is unwise to do so in situations where states are NOT struggling. You really put the State Council in an awkward (and often no-win) situation.

I don't think any State Overseer would show negative sentiment toward toward this type of approach to an expression of appreciation.

Thumb Up What he said.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/23/14 9:00 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Tom has it right.

How many guys work a job for four years and get a Cadillac?

If.he is that good....a love offerrjng will show it. Having the council determine how much each church should send in is no better.

Love offering.
5/23/14 9:24 pm

Post Bro Bob
I am confused. Is it 'generous' when a man votes to give away money that is not his? Or is that as irresponsible as it appears on its face? Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
5/23/14 9:44 pm

Post I think I've got it sonofasoldier
There has to be 2 different heavens; one for the Mother Teresas and those she sacrifices for and one for the TD Jakes and those that sacrifice for his wealth.
Disclaimer: nothing personal towards Jakes; there are plenty others that fit the suit. Just check out their gold cuff links. When I see them, I wonder how many souls Schindler could purchase with them.
Acts-celerater
5/23/14 10:57 pm

Post Nature Boy... cogalltheway
What about an overseer who has only been in a state for two years but his twelve years (time limit set by the minutes) are up and gets a Cadillac and a large monetary "honorarium?" Should state council's feel obligated to go above and beyond in their giving from the state checkbook? Friendly Face
5/24/14 9:55 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
It's just like when a denominational official preaches in a local church and the local pastor fawns all him. Even though the official may make a very comfortable salary with travel expenses included, the local pastor wants to give a big love offering to the official, to curry favor with him.

I just try to imagine Jesus or the Apostles ever participating in something like this (especially after Calvary), and I just can't.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/24/14 10:08 am

Post SouthGeorgiaBoy
SouthGeorgiaBoy wrote:
When our overseer, Ray Garner's, time was up we wanted to bless him even though we knew he wasn't retiring per se. An amount was specified by the state council. Then each church in the state was asked to receive an offering to send in to be given to him. I think the goal was around $25,000. The goal was reached and he was blessed.

We have blessed other overseers very well as they retired from our state.

I have found that, even in tough economic times, people do what they want to do. There is money to be given in our churches. I think that it all depends on our attitude toward the giving.
Acts Enthusiast
5/24/14 6:13 pm

Post SouthGeorgiaBoy
SouthGeorgiaBoy wrote:
I think the goad was around $25,000. The goad was reached and he was blessed.

You South Georgia fellers should notta goaded Bro Sanders. Cool

Hahahahaha OTCP! I like to "goad" overseers. It was Garner, not Sanders! Smile
Acts Enthusiast
5/24/14 6:15 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.