Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Are the 10 Commandments for NT Believers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Quiet Wyatt
Scooter wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Scooter wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Y'all need to study your New Testament. Good grief.

Response: Play much with others? :lol:

This is just silly, Scooter. But I've unfortunately come to see that mockery is your go-to mode when you have nothing substantive to respond with. Pathetic.

Response: You mean like calling you out on that song thing? Listen you can play big fish in a little pond but I think it's clear you don't get out much.

Too funny. You didn't "call me out." All you did was mock, like you're doing now.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/25/14 11:59 am

Post Scooter
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Scooter wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Scooter wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Y'all need to study your New Testament. Good grief.

Response: Play much with others? Laughing

This is just silly, Scooter. But I've unfortunately come to see that mockery is your go-to mode when you have nothing substantive to respond with. Pathetic.

Response: You mean like calling you out on that song thing? Listen you can play big fish in a little pond but I think it's clear you don't get out much.

Too funny. You are truly pathetic.

Response: Laughing It's ok man I forgive you.
Acts Enthusiast
4/25/14 12:02 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
You even mock forgiveness. Sad but unsurprising. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/25/14 12:05 pm

Post dolfan
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

We are no longer under the tutor of the Law of Moses, if we have been justified by faith in Christ. He now has written His moral law (loving God supremely and one's neighbor as oneself) on our hearts. As we walk in the Spirit, we perfect holiness in the fear of God, not by striving to keep the letter, but by living according to the Spirit of Christ.

In order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. Rom 8:4

This is true.
4/25/14 12:12 pm

Post krista
This really isn't that hard to understand. The 10 commandments are required, but they are comprised in just two:

Matthew 22:36-40
36Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38This is the first and great commandment.
39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

If we do these two things, the 10 commandments are observed.

Simple!
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
4/25/14 12:12 pm

Post Scooter
krista wrote:
This really isn't that hard to understand. The 10 commandments are required, but they are comprised in just two:

Matthew 22:36-40
36Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38This is the first and great commandment.
39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

If we do these two things, the 10 commandments are observed.

Simple!

Response: Exactly: Futher more:The Ten Commandments and the NT

In the NT, that I’ve never read, it seems that the Lord takes care of the validation of most if not all of the big 10. Let’s give a for instance, all the law including the 10 hinge on loving God and others. If you love God you won’t have other Gods before him, nor make graven images or take his name in vain.

Regarding the Sabbath, Jesus taught that the Sabbath was made for man and that he is our rest. Ephesians 6:2 repeats the 5th command verbatim. No murderer has eternal life. Sexual sin is surely covered. Let him that stole steal no more. Whosoever maketh a lie not getting in, that’s NT and I think the NT teaches one to be content with what you have even preferring one another. All of these which you would do naturally if you love God and one another are NT.
Acts Enthusiast
4/25/14 12:27 pm

Post dolfan
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. Rom 13:8-10

Yes, the law of Christ supercedes the law of Moses, but if the Ten Commandments (as a unit--you can't pick and choose which ones you want to obey; if you offend in one point you are a lawbreaker) are still binding moral law for Christians, then the Sabbatarians are surely right and we are all hellhound Sabbath-breakers.

No. If I fulfill the law of Christ, inside of which the whole of the Law and the Prophets is included, I am not living in violation of the Ten Commandments. However, if I do violate those commandments as fulfilled in Christ (i.e., just picking one for discussion, lusting after a woman other than my own wife = adultery) then I am a sinner for whom the wages is death, or I can acknowledge it, admit it, confess it and walk away from it and walk toward Him yet as a forgiven son.

This is what I mean by an insistence on dividing the covenants. I think you and I may be (I think) saying essentially the same thing. I am perplexed at the common manner in which Christians pit the old and new covenants against one another when both are of the same God. I think it confuses people.

This is not a "vs." situation. God did not send Jesus to condemn the law. He sent Him to condemn sin. Rom. 8:3. Why? So the righteous requirement of the law could be fulfilled in us. v. 4.

The old is wholly contained in the new, but is not left undone. It is fulfilled in Christ. It is not therefore abolished, but no longer remains to be satisfied as a means of fellowship with God. Christ is our means of fellowship with God. Yet, we do not just do what we please, because that is walking after the flesh, which is NOT the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus but is walking in condemnation. We are, indeed, as Paul said in Romans 8, debtors, we are under obligation, but not to the flesh; we are debtors to live in the Spirit. We do that by obedience to the whole gospel. All who are led by (meaning we follow that lead) the Spirit are sons of God. Rom. 8:15. When we do that we fulfill the righteous requirement of the law. Rom. 8:4-8.
4/25/14 12:33 pm

Post bradfreeman
This question has already been asked and answered in Acts 15:

Acts 15:5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed , saying , That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses. 6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter. 7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up , and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe . 8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness , giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; 9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear ? 11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved , even as they. 12 Then all the multitude kept silence , and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them. 13 And after they had held their peace , James answered , saying , Men and brethren, hearken unto me: 14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name. 15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written , 16 After this I will return , and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down ; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up : 17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things. 18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world. 19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: 20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

It's remarkable that they were still working through this.

Peter - don't put the unbearable yoke of the Law on them.
James - don't trouble them with the Law

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
4/27/14 2:06 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Ultimately the content of the moral Law is what God deems to be acceptable behavior and is a condensed version of the type of obedient fruit he is trying to work out in our lives. In the Old Testament it was written in stone and was used to try to change behavior from the outside in. In the New testament it is written on our hearts by the Spirit at the new birth and transforms us from the inside out.

So yes, us obeying the moral Law was so important to God that he became a man, instituted a New Covenant by his shed blood at the cross, and gave us his own moral character by indwelling and regenerating us by His spirit. It was God's esteem of his own moral code that drove him to do all of that.
4/27/14 3:08 pm

Post bradfreeman
Resident Skeptic wrote:
It was God's esteem of his own moral code that drove him to do all of that.

For God so loved the Law? No.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
4/27/14 3:43 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
bradfreeman wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
It was God's esteem of his own moral code that drove him to do all of that.

For God so loved the Law? No.

Yes. God does love his law. He loved it so much that he condemned us for breaking it and had to send a Lamb to die because we broke that Law.
4/27/14 5:16 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.