Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Are the 10 Commandments for NT Believers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Quiet Wyatt
One has to truly wonder why, in Acts 15, the Jerusalem Council, by the expressed leadership of the Holy Spirit, didn't tell Gentile believers anything like, "You must keep the Ten Commandments in order to be saved." They didn't even mention any part of the Law of Moses that had to be obeyed by Gentile Christians. Instead they referred to what many scholars believe were a part of the Noahide laws which were given to all mankind. In any case, the early church, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, certainly never said the keeping the law of Moses was something Gentile Christians must do.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 4/25/14 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/25/14 9:10 am

Post bradfreeman
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
One has to truly wonder why, in Acts 15, the Jerusalem Council, by the expressed leadership of the Holy Spirit, didn't tell Gentile believers anything like, "You must keep the Ten Commandments in order to be saved." They didn't even mention any part of the Law of Moses that had to be obeyed by Gentile Christians. Instead they referred to what many scholars believe were a part of the Noahide laws which were given to all mankind.

It's also amazing to me that, at least 15 years into the new covenant, they were still wrestling with whether Christians needed to cut some skin off their bodies to be saved! The old covenant mindset is truly betwitching.

Gal. 3:1 You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?

Hagar must have been really sexy, strong, young and beautiful...bewitching! We just don't want her to go!

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
4/25/14 9:17 am

Post Scooter
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
One has to truly wonder why, in Acts 15, the Jerusalem Council, by the expressed leadership of the Holy Spirit, didn't tell Gentile believers anything like, "You must keep the Ten Commandments in order to be saved." They didn't even mention any part of the Law of Moses that had to be obeyed by Gentile Christians. Instead they referred to what many scholars believe were a part of the Noahide laws which were given to all mankind.

Response: Most likely because it was understood through the Holy Spirit that the people who had accepted Christ had a new nature in which He, the Holy Spirit was working.

Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
Acts Enthusiast
4/25/14 9:17 am

Post Death or life... Quiet Wyatt
But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. 10 For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels. 11 For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious. 2 Cor 3:7-11 [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/25/14 9:21 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Scooter wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Response: Most likely because it was understood through the Holy Spirit that the people who had accepted Christ had a new nature in which He, the Holy Spirit was working.

Not sure how that really makes any difference with regard to whether or not the law of Moses is still binding moral law for the Christian. As I have said repeatedly and plainly, the law of Christ is the standard under the New and Better Covenant.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/25/14 9:24 am

Post Scooter
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Scooter wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Not sure how that really makes any difference with regard to whether or not the law of Moses is still binding moral law for the Christian. As I have said repeatedly and plainly, the law of Christ is the standard under the New and Better Covenant.

Response: Law of Moses or just the ten commandments?
Acts Enthusiast
4/25/14 9:31 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Scooter wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Scooter wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Response: Law of Moses or just the ten commandments?

The entire law of Moses, which of course includes the Ten Commandments.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/25/14 9:33 am

Post The thread said 10 commandments. Scooter
The thread said 10 commandments.

I was just talking about those 10.
Acts Enthusiast
4/25/14 9:40 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
The Ten Commandments are essential and inseparable from the law of Moses. They are the virtual core thereof. To say that all is done away with except the Ten does not follow. We are either under the law of Moses or we are not.

Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. 26For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. Gal 3:24-26
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/25/14 9:51 am

Post Scooter
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
The Ten Commandments are essential and inseparable from the law of Moses. They are the virtual core thereof. To say that all is done away with except the Ten does not follow. We are either under the law of Moses or we are not.

Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. 26For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. Gal 3:24-26

Response: Then why did God separate them? Couldn't find enough rocks? Laughing
Acts Enthusiast
4/25/14 9:54 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Huh? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/25/14 9:58 am

Post Quiet Wyatt... Aaron Scott
Revelation 21:8 lets us know that the moral principles contained in the 10 Commandments are valid even now.

It was wrong to kill someone centuries before Moses showed up. We knew that without a written code.

What is NOT apparent to anyone is to commandments of circumcision, dietary laws, etc.

It is my belief that is was THESE--and not the moral principles--that have been done away with. Why? Because while we have it on clear scripture that circumcision is no longer required (at least fleshly circumcision), and perhaps even the Sabbath, nowhere do we have the slightest indication that these other moral principles have been reversed, done away with, etc.

Rev. 21:8 lets us know that those who do such things....
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/25/14 10:23 am

Post Re: Quiet Wyatt... Scooter
Aaron Scott wrote:
Revelation 21:8 lets us know that the moral principles contained in the 10 Commandments are valid even now.

It was wrong to kill someone centuries before Moses showed up. We knew that without a written code.

What is NOT apparent to anyone is to commandments of circumcision, dietary laws, etc.

It is my belief that is was THESE--and not the moral principles--that have been done away with. Why? Because while we have it on clear scripture that circumcision is no longer required (at least fleshly circumcision), and perhaps even the Sabbath, nowhere do we have the slightest indication that these other moral principles have been reversed, done away with, etc.

Rev. 21:8 lets us know that those who do such things....

Response: Exactly. Thanks.

Many people have trouble separating the Law of Moses/ordinances and what is morally right under both old and new.
Acts Enthusiast
4/25/14 11:07 am

Post dolfan
Aaron Scott wrote:

Can I bounce off you once more?

And it goes beyond mere "moral principles". We are talking about the eternal Person of the God the Son. He is not done away with. The Law revealed Him.

He is our circumcision. Circumcision was originally an outward sign marking the covenant God made with Abraham, a covenant of faith, that God would make of Him a great nation and through His seed (Jesus) would bless all nations (by grace through faith). That covenant was a revelation of who God is -- the faithful redeemer who of His own will chose to redeem us. God continued this revelation of Himself in the Law He gave to Moses. Lev. 12:3. He continued --- He did not abolish --- this revelation of Himself when, at the last, He revealed Himself in Jesus Christ. Deuteronomy 10:12-16; Deuteronomy 30:6; Hebrews 1:1-3, Colossians 2:11. Jesus is our faithful redeemer. What marks us as part of this continuing covenant that started with Abraham, continued in Moses, consummated in Christ?? Circumcision of the heart.

This is not merely about moral principal, but is the very relationship of God with us. The Law is no more "abolished" than the relationship, no more than the Lawgiver Himself! It is, though, fulfilled in Christ. Because of this ongoing fulfillment, we are, in the Holy Spirit, made partakers of the divine nature. 2 Peter 1:3-4 That's what makes the New Covenant a better one.

He is our Sabbath. Again, "rest" is not the only purpose of the Sabbath. It, too, points to Christ who is our Sabbath. A day of rest has practical importance, but no day is the Sabbath. Christ, the Person, is the Sabbath. Everyday, then, becomes a day of Sabbath rest. It is more than mere principal or morality, but is a revelation of a Person -- Jesus. The laws regarding Sabbath point to Him; they are not "abolished" with Jesus, but fulfilled in Him. We don't disregard Sabbath -- we live it! Hebrews chapters 3, 4 and 10 explain this best. Point is, the law of the Sabbath is not abolished, but fulfilled in Christ, who certainly is not abolished. He is our circumcision. He is our Sabbath.

He is our diet. The dietary laws are fulfilled in the Person of Jesus Christ. In Leviticus 20, God told Israel, "you shall not walk in the customs of the nation that I am driving out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I detested them. 24 But I have said to you, ‘You shall inherit their land, and I will give it to you to possess, a land flowing with milk and honey.’ I am the Lord your God, who has separated you from the peoples. 25 You shall therefore separate the clean beast from the unclean, and the unclean bird from the clean. You shall not make yourselves detestable by beast or by bird or by anything with which the ground crawls, which I have set apart for you to hold unclean. 26 You shall be holy to me, for I the Lord am holy and have separated you from the peoples, that you should be mine."

The animals were unclean because God said they were. Lev. 20. They were "clean" when God said they weren't unclean. Mark 7:19; Acts 10. The purpose of the uncleanness of the animals was so Israel would be reminded in their most everyday behaviors -- eating -- not to be like the nations around them in Canaan in all their ways. Romans 14:14-18 explains what our "distinction" is now --- Christ!! He is our diet of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, serving HIM makes us acceptable to God and approved by men. Submitting to one another, building up one another is the "diet" of the Christian (Romans 14:18-19); it is the mark of distinction of the disciples that "fulfills" or completes the separation of the people of God from the ways of the world (John 13:35). He is our diet, our bread (John 6:35), submission in love to one another distinguishes us as His own.

So, again, these laws are not abolished. They are fulfilled in Christ. They are not mere moral principals. They are the relationship of God and His people, now fulfilled in the person of Christ Himself.
4/25/14 11:32 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I unequivocally affirm the everlasting moral law of God, which is definitely NOT the Decalogue which was given to Moses and the Hebrews. The moral law of God defines right and wrong for all time and eternity.

Y'all need to study your New Testament. Good grief.

We are no longer under the tutor of the Law of Moses, if we have been justified by faith in Christ. He now has written His moral law (loving God supremely and one's neighbor as oneself) on our hearts. As we walk in the Spirit, we perfect holiness in the fear of God, not by striving to keep the letter, but by living according to the Spirit of Christ.

In order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. Rom 8:4
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/25/14 11:44 am

Post Scooter
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Response: Play much with others? Laughing
Acts Enthusiast
4/25/14 11:51 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. Rom 13:8-10

Yes, the law of Christ supercedes the law of Moses, but if the Ten Commandments (as a unit--you can't pick and choose which ones you want to obey; if you offend in one point you are a lawbreaker) are still binding moral law for Christians, then the Sabbatarians are surely right and we are all hellhound Sabbath-breakers.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/25/14 11:53 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Scooter wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Response: Play much with others? :lol:

This is just silly, Scooter. But I've unfortunately come to see that mockery is your go-to mode when you have nothing substantive to respond with. Pathetic.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/25/14 11:55 am

Post Scooter
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

We are no longer under the tutor of the Law of Moses, if we have been justified by faith in Christ. He now has written His moral law (loving God supremely and one's neighbor as oneself) on our hearts. Rom 8:4

Response: Wouldn't that kind of like include not killing one another, having other Gods, and taking things from others that didn't belong to you??? Laughing
Acts Enthusiast
4/25/14 11:56 am

Post Scooter
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Scooter wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Response: Play much with others? Laughing

This is just silly, Scooter. But I've unfortunately come to see that mockery is your go-to mode when you have nothing substantive to respond with. Pathetic.

Response: You mean like calling you out on that song thing? Listen you can play big fish in a little pond but I think it's clear you don't get out much.
Acts Enthusiast
4/25/14 11:58 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.