Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Homeschooling vs. starting a private Christian school?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Homeschooling vs. starting a private Christian school? Quiet Wyatt
I would like to hear the pros and cons of a local church starting a private Christian school vs. simply providing support services for homeschooling families in the community.

Thanks!

QW
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/18/14 2:51 pm

Post As a retired teacher... roughridercog
If you are going to open a Christian school, it will be difficult for you to obtain accreditation and maintain certified staff. You will never be able to compete salary wise with public schools. Plus it's tough to draw with little or no athletic program.
Coordinating homeschoolers and even tutors for on site assistance would be more cost effective.
4/18/14 3:31 pm

Post diakoneo
Yeah, we started to one time. Wound up home schooling.

If you don't have a vision and directive from God, I don't think I would. For some of the reasons Rough cited and more! Starting a business (yes that is what it would be) would be hard enough in this economy, but with so many parents hurting...private school is probably way down on the list of things they are willing to purchase. Now if you have enough parents who are willing and wanting to partner??? I just don't know how many you would need.

Yeah, I think I would just home school Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/18/14 8:30 pm

Post Not a fan of home schooling c6thplayer1
Unless you have a REAL PHD ... I think that shelters the kids to much and would present problems down the road. Not all , but I believe a higher number than necessary. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/18/14 9:54 pm

Post Re: Not a fan of home schooling Quiet Wyatt
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Unless you have a REAL PHD ... I think that shelters the kids to much and would present problems down the road. Not all , but I believe a higher number than necessary.

This is the kind of comment that cracks me up. As if one needs a real PhD to homeschool. None of the teachers in our local public schools here have PhDs, not even the principals do.

In any case, my wife and I homeschooled our kids before we moved to a new pastorate a year and a half ago, they all tested far above the average for their respective grade levels here, and our 11-year-old daughter received the Student of the Year award for her elementary school since moving here. On top of that, she won the school spelling bee the first time she had ever competed in one, won third place in the county spelling bee, and competed at the state spelling bee and was in the top 22 spellers in the state before she got too sick from a severe stomach bug to continue, and had to drop out of the bee.

The fact is that homeschooled kids, on average, remarkably outperform government-school educated kids in every category, regardless of the level of formal education their parents have achieved.

We are not going to raise our kids to be dummies. Nor are we raising unsocialized kids. However, we do not wish our kids to become 'socialized' to be like the high school kids in our town. There may be some homeschooling parents who don't do their jobs, but they are certainly not the rule, nor are they an example my wife and I would ever follow.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/18/14 10:16 pm

Post Re: Not a fan of home schooling Carolyn Smith
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Unless you have a REAL PHD ... I think that shelters the kids to much and would present problems down the road. Not all , but I believe a higher number than necessary.

This is the kind of comment that cracks me up. As if one needs a real PhD to homeschool. None of the teachers in our local public schools here have PhDs, not even the principals do.

In any case, my wife and I homeschooled our kids before we moved to a new pastorate a year and a half ago, they all tested far above the average for their respective grade levels here, and our 11-year-old daughter received the Student of the Year award for her elementary school since moving here. On top of that, she won the school spelling bee the first time she had ever competed in one, won third place in the county spelling bee, and competed at the state spelling bee and was in the top 22 spellers in the state before she got too sick from a severe stomach bug to continue, and had to drop out of the bee.

The fact is that homeschooled kids, on average, remarkably outperform government-school educated kids in every category, regardless of the level of formal education their parents have achieved.

We are not going to raise our kids to be dummies. Nor are we raising unsocialized kids. However, we do not wish our kids to become 'socialized' to be like the high school kids in our town. There may be some homeschooling parents who don't do their jobs, but they are certainly not the rule, nor are they an example my wife and I would ever follow.

Well said!

All three of my home schooled children have college degrees.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/19/14 12:09 am

Post Private School, Home School or PUBLIC school MartyBaker
The question of schooling is important. Patty and I have always said that we would home school if necessary. Thankfully, it has not been necessary. We reared our children in the Columbia County Geo

rgia School System. It is a great school system. We are PRO public schools....that is when they are balanced and faith friendly. We did not send our kids to school to learn the Bible. We taught the Bible in our home and in our church. We sent our kids to school to learn basic education and how to get along with people.

Now, about Christian Schools. We are PRO Christian Schools. The principal of Augusta Christian Schools is a member of our church. They do an incredible job. Yes, they teach the Bible at this school and I am proud to be associated with this institution. People send their kids there for different reasons. It's a high quality education, it provides high school sports that are competitive and achievable. In other words, if you are not a division 1 prospect, you can still play.

Now, about Home School. We are PRO Home Schoolers. Stevens Creek has several families in the home school system. These families may have special desires for their kids or even special needs. I am for home schooling if the children have an outlet for socialization. Being a member of a church as large as The Creek provides that social need for the children. When parents cannot provide proper socialization for their children they are setting them up to be disadvantaged in the work force or in college if they pursue college.

Now about the concept of college...all three of my kids went to college. I still have one in college. I believe that a person goes to college to learn how to make money. If your child can make money without college, then PRAISE THE LORD and save your cash. Don't waste 40K or more on a college education for the college experience. But, if you need an education to do what you have been called to do, then invest the money. I have three degrees: BA from Lee; MA from Samford; and a D.Min from Erskine Seminary. I am PRO Education. My doctorate has given me the ability to connect with people in our community. Stevens Creek probably has more doctors than any other Church of God. I believe that my degree has helped, but more than that, it's because the Medical College of Georgia is in Augusta. So, I may have been able to attract the medical community without the degrees.

So, why have a degree? Hmmm.... maybe it's personal. I enjoyed learning. I still do. I believe that a real leader is a learner.

One more thing .... I have a doctorate .... my Executive Pastor, Kevin Lloyd has a bachelors ... honestly, he is smarter than I am. It's not the degrees that matter.

So, home school, private school, public school .... don't stress over it. Just make the call and do it for one year. If it works for you, then continue. If it doesn't work, then change.

You are stressing too much over this decision. This is one year ... not the rest of your kid's life.

Be at peace.

~Marty

martybaker@stevenscreekchurch.com

PS: I know that I did not completely address the original purpose of this post. If you want to start a Christian School and you can fund it and make it a quality experience, go for it.

If you can't compete, then let someone else do it.
4/19/14 9:06 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Quote:
You are stressing too much over this decision. This is one year ... not the rest of your kid's life.

Really not understanding where you get that idea, Marty. It sounds to me as if you may as well have just shrugged your shoulders and sang, "Don't worry, be happy" in response, LOL.

I am not 'stressing' over this any more than I feel in should. Reality indicates stress is essential to growth and health though. I agree we must be careful lest we allow stress to overwhelm us of course. I regularly pray and meditate upon the Serenity Prayer. We consider our family to be our most important ministry responsibility. It is unimaginable to even consider taking a cavalier approach to something so monumentally important to our family's future.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/19/14 9:33 am

Post revuriah
We homeschool. Our kids are doing really well, and thanks to outside programs, and friends at church, they are also getting socialized.

My wife happens to be a licensed teacher, but a degree isn't required to homeschool. We have friends doing it without the teaching background, and their kids are doing well with it.

A homeschool support ministry is a great idea. It connects kids with other kids, and gives parents support from those who are in the trenches. I think that is the best way to go for educational outreach.

Revuriah's Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeff-Richard/1226257444

Jeffrey David Richard's Myspace Music
www.myspace.com/547856946
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
4/19/14 11:35 am

Post diakoneo
We homeschooled our daughter from second grade.

She had two scholarship offers due to her very high ACT scores. No ACT prep courses either.

My wife did most of the teaching. She does not have a degree. Degrees are good, but I would rather have loving parents who are high school drop outs teaching their children than a Phd. Wink
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/19/14 12:48 pm

Post MartyBaker
[quote="Quiet Wyatt"]
Quote:
?... It is unimaginable to even consider taking a cavalier approach to something so monumentally important to our family's future.

I don't mean to be cavalier. I sincerely believe that God is bigger than any school system..... Private, public or homeschool. Make the best decision that you can make. Love the Lord, love your children, and love the church. Then, expect it to work out.

-Marty
4/19/14 12:55 pm

Post Re: Not a fan of home schooling c6thplayer1
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:

Hey man , no insult intended... thats just my opinion. I would think one that holds a PHD has the experience of knowledge to cover all aspects of life in general , including that which might be missed if one was not in a public venue. Plus they have the highest level of academic preparation.

I also realize that most of the public teachers do not hold a PHD but the kids not only learn from the teachers but from themselves to.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/19/14 2:12 pm

Post Link
I was talking with a pastor's wife about this, briefly, yesterday. They are pushing the homosexual agenda in schools here.

I guess, theoretically, you could transition from home school support and a club to a Christian school, but the thing is, some home school parents are pro-home-school only. If they start going to home school events elsewhere, that might rub off on them.
4/20/14 1:40 pm

Post Link
diakoneo wrote:
Yeah, we started to one time. Wound up home schooling.

If you don't have a vision and directive from God, I don't think I would. For some of the reasons Rough cited and more! Starting a business (yes that is what it would be) would be hard enough in this economy, but with so many parents hurting...private school is probably way down on the list of things they are willing to purchase. Now if you have enough parents who are willing and wanting to partner??? I just don't know how many you would need.

Yeah, I think I would just home school Smile

The directive from God is good advice.

It can work to start a Christian school. I know of some people who did it and it was very successful. But.... they had millions of dollars to invest.

You can do home school club and encourage it on a shoestring budget. You need some resources to start a more conventional Christian school.
4/20/14 1:59 pm

Post Re: Not a fan of home schooling theedmister
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:

Hey man , no insult intended... thats just my opinion. I would think one that holds a PHD has the experience of knowledge to cover all aspects of life in general , including that which might be missed if one was not in a public venue. Plus they have the highest level of academic preparation.

I also realize that most of the public teachers do not hold a PHD but the kids not only learn from the teachers but from themselves to.

You have a very deluded view of homeschooling. I hear that from a few others also. They pretend that children in public school turn out so well socially compared to those in homeschooling. Yet I have seen kids in public schools (many I might say) be rejected, have a hard time adapting to life, they many times can't read or pass the SAT or ACT.

It is unfair to categorize home school kids in this way. It is all up to the parents on both ends.

As far as the PHD comment. My wife does not have a college degree. She has home schooled all four of our children all their lives. Two have graduated and almost completed college with straight A's (I think they made a B or two). So I think she did pretty well.

Why did they do so well? Because we took on the responsibility of our child's education and did not leave it up to someone else who don't know our children. You can do the same in public school, yet there is a lot more work and interference.

Just in case you ask about their social skills, lets see one is going into the ministry to pastor, another is very active in the community and church. Of the two other still in school one is going to be a missionary (has already been on the mission field at 15) and the other plays softball and active in the church. I would say they are pretty social. Even in their secular college.

I would change it for the world. Both my wife and I went to pubic school and turned out pretty well. I have public school teachers in my church who beg us not to quit home schooling. Yet in your opinion it is bad.

You need to do more research (if you have done any). There are a lot of home school groups around you that you can ask questions at.

I would love to answer questions if you have any.

Thanks
Friendly Face
4/22/14 8:21 am

Post Re: Private School, Home School or PUBLIC school Nature Boy Florida
MartyBaker wrote:

Now, about Christian Schools. We are PRO Christian Schools. The principal of Augusta Christian Schools is a member of our church. They do an incredible job. Yes, they teach the Bible at this school and I am proud to be associated with this institution. People send their kids there for different reasons. It's a high quality education, it provides high school sports that are competitive and achievable. In other words, if you are not a division 1 prospect, you can still play.

South Carolina is different from Florida.

It is tougher to play at the private schools than public.

Private schools can recruit - public can't.

Also, state law requires that public schools allow homeschoolers to play sports in their district.

In Florida, Jeb Bush made extensive school reforms. All of a public school curriculum is offered online - and you can get a full blown high school diploma (not a GED) from Florida Virtual School (free of charge) - recognized at the major universities the same as any other diploma - without the indoctrinization of the public school system. You guys that still have Christian influence in your public schools - enjoy it while you can - because it will get taken from you soon - like it has here in Florida.

Home schooling is a great option in Florida - but only if you devote the time to make sure everyone stays up to date with the lesson plans. No doctorate required. Truth is, a student can complete most of his studies before lunch each day.

I was raised in public schools, i sent my kids to private schools - but home schooling is a great option - it depends on the individual. I had one son try Fla Virtual School one year - he hated it - and went back to his old school.

Marty is right - you aren't going to ruin your child by trying something for one year. If you think it is a good idea - try it - you can always change again.
4/22/14 5:07 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
All you need to home school is a passionate commitment to your kids' education and KhanAcademy.org... [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/22/14 7:02 pm

Post curriculum theedmister
Dave Dorsey wrote:
All you need to home school is a passionate commitment to your kids' education and KhanAcademy.org...

I don't have a big problem with people using a standard curriculum. But for us the reason we got into home schooling is to understand what is best for our kids education. We know that each one learns differently and all the pubic school and some private schools could offer is a cookie cutter approach.

We pattern our curriculum toward each child. Most importantly we teach them to study and how to use resources so when the get to college and life the can learn, not just put in information.

This is what really helps them get ahead in life.
Friendly Face
4/22/14 8:24 pm

Post Re: curriculum Dave Dorsey
theedmister wrote:
I don't have a big problem with people using a standard curriculum. But for us the reason we got into home schooling is to understand what is best for our kids education. We know that each one learns differently and all the pubic school and some private schools could offer is a cookie cutter approach.

We pattern our curriculum toward each child. Most importantly we teach them to study and how to use resources so when the get to college and life the can learn, not just put in information.

This is what really helps them get ahead in life.

Yes! Couldn't agree more.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/22/14 8:59 pm

Post we are considering it as a church too muricewatsonsfriend
i think you've got to let vision lead. that's what it really comes down to. in Michigan our public schools are war zones, (Detroit area). school systems spend thousands of dollars and manhours to keep johnny/susie coming to school, breaking up fights, etc.
even in a less violent school children (that attend our church) are bombarded with drug dealing, sexual pressure, homosexual aggression, and a growing atheistic agenda.
my children attended public schools, and it was a mixed bag. i wished we'd homeschooled. i attended a homeschool conference last year. wow. those kids have NO problem with socialization. they have sports leagues, band, science fairs, etc etc.
i wish you well. i'd just say let vision lead
- Darius
Acts-celerater
4/24/14 6:57 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.